Ivans Restaurant PonsonbyRd

wynyard, Jul 14, 7:07am
What happened to Ivans, They had this incredible waitress who rememered everything and carried six plates of food on her arms?

fisher, Jul 14, 7:10am
You didnt expect Ivans to continue in this day and age. .
waitress... ? she was the owner as was her husband Ivan. .
Drove past there the other day on way to airport. .

pickles7, Jul 14, 7:13am
They shifted as I recall.
Glenfield
North Shore City

wynyard, Jul 14, 7:15am
Must look them up next time Im up there.

pericles, Jul 14, 7:20am
6 plates of food on the arms , served, is the norm for silver service

2bakerz, Jul 14, 7:27am
Oh, boy did that bring back memories of my (mis-spent) youth! ! Many is the time we went for the good old steak, egg, chips, HUGE plates - don't know how I demolished it all! But, yes, long gone - the Ivan's on the Shore is just a fish and chip shop, and not sure if it's the original Ivan anyway. But they do lovely fish and chips. they're on the corner of Wairau and Glenfield Roads if anyone's checking it out.

vintagekitty, Jul 14, 7:53am
lol, Ivans was not silver service, we used to go there when we were uni students after drinking copious amounts of miami wine cooler and pink chardon, flatting in Posonby. Years later, I took my kids there as well, we still lived in posonby, abet had bought by then and had knocked the chardon and miami wine cooler on the head!

fisher, Jul 14, 9:03am
hmmm 2bakerz... must ask you about the mis-spent youth around that area... tis where I grew up so must talk about that when next in touch. . (I knew them very well. . )Mary was the waitress and Ivan was the apron clad cookie. . always a stack of bread and butter with every meal. . steaks were good with all the fried onions. . heaps of orders with no pen and paper and then just shout them out as she was walking into the kitchen... good old formica table and chairs. . at the end they just put a stack (loaf high) at the counter for you to go up and get. . would stay open till early hours for the drivers and all the booze drinkers who had the munchies early in the morning. . always heaps of people. . last of an era they were. .

fisher, Jul 14, 9:10am
I even go back to delivering their newspaper, the "Star" back then and later took my girlfriends there for a meal before the movies. . (cheapskate was I hahahahaa). . Mary liked me and piled up my plate:}

vintagekitty, Jul 14, 9:23am
cute :), did you double them to the movies on your handlebars!

tehenga288, Jul 14, 9:50am
Ivans was just the best value & such fantastic service. They eventually retired- the waitress was his sister - there was an interview in the local paper after they closed.

fisher, Jul 14, 10:25am
na vintage. . this was later when I "grew up". . lol. . had a Vauxhall Wyvern back then hahahahaa. . wanted a MK1 Zephyr. . Mary was his sister... always thought it was his wife they way they screamed blue murder at each other sometimes. . hahahaha. . Tehenga. . can you remember when they closed down. . ? ?

vintagekitty, Jul 15, 4:49am
I seem to think it was 93-95?

fisher, Jul 15, 4:51am
95 Would have had her at about 65 years old I reckon? ? ?

vintagekitty, Jul 15, 4:52am
maybe, she always looked old to me! , but I was younger then, like us all lol.

nahzee, Jul 15, 4:54am
remember going there as a kid on the corner of Anglesea/Ponsonby Road, massive plates of food with stacks of bread. . and the lady with the afro apparently could remember the orders without writing it down... primo memories that place. . lol

flick13, Jul 15, 7:03pm
Yeah she was amazing.
Once we tested her - had 5 of us I think (maybe 6) - all ordered something different, and each of us made a special request as well (e. b. no onions etc) - she remembered it all no problem. Natural gift.

The food was good (nothing fancy) and very well priced.

There was a good bar on the other corner too for awhile - the Gaslight I think it was called.

tehenga288, Nov 2, 10:07am
I think you're right 'kitty - early to mid nineties when they closed Ivans. There were some good bars & restaurants around then. We used to eat out a couple of times a week then. A lot more Byo's & the prices seemed more reasonable compared to the cost of living or maybe it's those rose coloured glasses you get when you look back 15 - 20yrs. Does anyone remember the Thai Palace - their raw green chilli prawns were amazing