Restaurant & cafe reviews

socram, Sep 19, 8:33pm
Is anyone else irritated by restaurant reviews that never give prices of individual dishes?

Example in today's pull out section: "Cost $245 for two starters, two mains, two desserts and 4 glasses of wine" doesn't actually tell us anything.

With desserts often from $5 to $15, mains from $15 to the sky is the limit, wine and beer generally totally overpriced, then if the intention is to inform customers, then they are failing miserably.

What is so difficult about stating a price? Some manage to do it, but most don't. We rarely eat out, certainly at anywhere new, preferring to stick to places we know where the food as good and what we are likely to pay.

(Not a recipe, but still believe this board should be 'food'!)

davidt4, Sep 19, 8:45pm
Most restaurants have web sites with menus that you can check for prices.

franken1, Sep 19, 8:51pm
Exactly.

socram, Sep 20, 5:51am
Fair enough, but if I'm reading the newspaper, unless the review is particularly inspiring, I'm hardly likely to bother looking anything up on the computer! Call me lazy if you like, but some reviewers manage to do it and that makes a far more complete review.

A bit like reporting on a football game and not mentioning the score, 'because it will be on the internet'.

huia991, Sep 20, 6:14am
There's also an app you can download (or go to the website) called zomato (www.zomato.com) that has listings for restaurants, cafes, takeaways. Can zoom into any area, uses your location and the majority of listings have menus as well (with prices). ive found it a great app to have, particularly travelling out of town because it also tells you which ones are 'currently' open.

socram, Sep 20, 7:07am
Sounds good, but I don't use a mobile phone! Yes, I use the internet, but if people are reading restaurant reviews in newspapers and magazines, doesn't that say something?

daarhn, Sep 20, 8:09am
You sound like someone that quibbles over the minute of details and whose had what when paying the bill. Best you stick to mac n cheese. at home

socram, Sep 21, 3:41am
Uncalled for comment and nothing whatever to do with the initial post.

Maybe a $300 or $400 bill is nothing to you and you are indeed happy to be subsidised by a member of your party who only drinks water? All I asked was that a price per dish was published as part of a review.

I see now what people mean, when they say this message board has been ruined by some posters. Can't even pose a simple comment, query or question without being branded a meanie.

Oh, and by the way your spelling sucks.

I'm out of here.

kay141, Sep 21, 3:44am
I always look on the net at the menu and prices before I book a restaurant. If a review said it was that price for that amount of food and drink, I'd be even keener to see the menu and price list, including the drinks. To me, that is very expensive.

smallwoods, Sep 21, 5:03am
We have been to a modest restaurant and the wine we selected was $150/ bottle, so 245 for the whole shebang isn't to bad.
We actually drank them out of that wine and they tried swapping with a similar wine, we told them to run down the road to the liquor store and get some, it was $60-70 there.

kay141, Sep 21, 5:57am
I'd be interested to find a wine worth that much. Haven't found one yet but have found a lot of very over-priced ones. Something that seems to happen world-wide. A high price does not always equal quality.

pickles7, Sep 21, 8:18am
Be prepared to pay $ 100.00 a head, any less you would have done well.

smallwoods, Oct 12, 9:52am
True, but this was a special occasion and it went down a treat. As I said at the bottle store it was 1/2 the price and we weren't paying.
Restaurants have a mark up to stay in business.