ARRRGH, I so sick of doing gluten free,

Page 2 / 2
undercut, Jul 12, 8:14am
Hi, yes miss 9 was at aunts for 1 night over week end. Aunt bought her Mc Doanalds, I was so anrgy. Aunt said it did not do her any harm, aw yes it did when she got home. Always the way. So yep, she misses that and so does miss 11, but she not g. f, only does not get it because her sis cant have it, and I am so against McD's anyway.
Your brownie reciepe will be great, I am off to bed now so will catch up tomorrow. I have over done the study and house work and this cold is waering me down. Severs me right for trying to do a weeks worth of study and house work in 1 day.
Again thank you, I will out for you tomorrow.

gaspodetwd, Jul 12, 8:16am
Soups - favouries in our family - pumkpin and kumara, chicken and sweetcorn, chicken vegetable.
I tend to buy whole chickens rather than drumsticks - as they go much further! Pull off all the meat whilst still warm and then keep the carcass to make a stock for a soup or rissotto.

undercut, Jul 12, 8:16am
Yum, ruby19, makes me hungry, just looking at your ideas. Thanks.

gaspodetwd, Jul 12, 8:22am
Fish - dry off some gurnard or tarakihi with handytowel. Coat in maize cornflour and then dip in lightly whipped egg white. Deep or shallow fry. Make sure the oil is a good temperature or it will go soggy - but it should be delicious. It is a classic tempura batter.

Easy chocolate brownie - 175g dark choc, 175 g butter, 250 g vanilla sugar, 3 large eggs, 115g cornflour,
(170 degrees for about 25 minutes). melt chocolate and butter together. Add sugar and beat. Beat eggs in a jug and slowly add to chocolate mixture. Sift in flour adn beat. Put into greased and lined brownie tin and cook until slightly cracked and light brown on top. allow to cool before cutting. You can add nuts or choc chunks for a special occasion.

gaspodetwd, Jul 12, 8:27am
bubble and squeak - using mash (potato or kumara) and boiled cabbage. Mix togetehr and season. Coat in cornflour and then lighly fry until golden brown. Serve with homemade burgers or cold meat.

Old fashioned hot pudding. Tinned fruit (GF) or fresh fruit or frozen - in cake tin (ensure it fills about 3/4 of tin)
Then top with a cake mix ( 100g butter, 100g cinammon sugar - creamed) plus 3 small eggs and 100g cornflour and 1tsp baking powder. Cook on 160 fan for about 50 minutes - just test to see like you would a cake. Very moist - and perfect with icecream or cream. I have used peaches, pears and apples, berries, - great for overripe fruit! ! !

kelsey18, Jul 12, 8:31am
Definitely try Lievito bakery online. It is just like real bread. Have bought it from Fresh choice but it is not as fresh and more expensive. Online $5 a loaf and they courier it fresh to your door. Freezes well and can be used fresh for sandwiches. Trust me I have tried every bread out there!

angie461, Jul 12, 8:38am
Grated potatoes liquid squeezed out, then mixed with egg cheese onion curry powder (anything really) and cook in the toastie machine I used to live on these when first gf.

letto, Jul 12, 8:42am
there is a GF fish and chip shop, it's just around the corner from the 'totally gluten free' bakery, on Stanmore Rd, they have a seperate fryer for the fish and chips, and they make GF burgers as well, it's well worth the trip, very yummy.

angry, Jul 12, 9:58am
Hi, I have a 9 year old, 5 year old and 2 year old. We follow a low gluten diet so know how frustrating, expensive and difficult it can be. I use Bakels baking mix for all my cooking now - although it is about $8. 00 for a kg the baking tastes great and don't usually have any flops. I also use the bakels bread mix. Can mix up this recipe and use for pizza base and buns. 2 cups natural yoghurt, 3 cups breadmix, 1 packet onion soup. Mix together and work into whatever shape you want. Cook at around 200 for 10 mins. Very easy - if you make it into a pizza base add your topping and then just cook the whole lot for 10-15 mins - no need to cook base seperately. This recipe is a life saver for a quick and easy something to fill the kids up. Also check out some of the Fresh Choice or New World supermarkets for GF treets brand of hot dogs, fish, donuts. They are made in ChCh and are great. We usually just buy our fish fresh and use channa(chickpea) flour for batter. Just mix a quantity of flour with some water and a little bit of baking powder to make batter - then we usually deep fry for fish n chip night treat. Sushi is great for lunches if your daughter eats that sort of thing. I make ours with tuna or gf ham and gherkins, carrot, rice and mayo. Very simple and tasty. We have a great bakery here in Timaru (The Bread Basket) which does a good gf bread for around $6. 00 - a normal sized loaf and they are happy to courier to ChCh. They also do delicious quice and small pies for around $4. 00.

angry, Jul 12, 10:01am
Here are some other of our favourite baking recipes
Choc peppermint slice
Base:
2/3 cup gf flour, ½ tsp baking powder, ¼ cup cocoa, ½ cup coconut , ¼ cup sugar, 140gm melted butter , 1 lightly beaten egg
Filling:
1 ½ cup icing sugar, sifted, 30gm melted kremelta, 2 Tbsp milk½ tsp peppermint essence
Topping:
185gm melted choc30gm kremelta
Preheat oven to 180C. Line baking tin(18x28cm) with baking paper. Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into bowl. Stir in coconut and sugar, then add egg and butter. Mix well and press into tin. Bake for 15minutes then press down with the back of a spoon and leave to cool. To make filling sift icing sugar into bowl and stir in remaining filling ingredients. When base is cold spread this mix over base and refrigerate 5-10 mins until firm. To make topping mix melted choc and kremelta together Spread evenly over filling. Refrigerate until set.

Pancakes
50gm butter, melted2 eggs1 1/4 cup milk1 ½ cup gf flour1 tsp baking powder
Melt butter in same bowl you will mix pancakes. Add next 2 ingredients and mix thoroughly. Stir in flour just enough to blend everything. Heat large oiled pan and pour in enough mix to cover bottom. Turn when bubbles appear. Great rolled up with ham, cheese and pineapple in lunchbox.
-

angry, Jul 12, 10:06am
And a couple more -Banana Bread (this is very easy and never seems to fail! )
Mix 70 ml milk, 2 ½ Tspn oil, 1-2 mashed banana, 2 eggs, 1 ½ cups flour, ¾ cup brown sugar, 1 ½tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda.
Put in tin and bake at 180C until cooked. Ice with lemon icing if you wish.
Boston Bun
1 cup mashed potato (cold)2 cups gf flour¾ cup sugarpinch salt, 2 tsp baking powder, ½ cup sultanasmilk to mix

Mix all ingredients. Place in bun shape on baking tray. Bake at 150 for ½ hour. Ice and sprinkle with coconut.

Also check out the little asian supermarket at Hornby Mall (used to be a baby city) We have just found some Zhongshan Rice Stick noodles. Need to boil about 15-20 minutes but very tasty and look normal - great in stir fry. Good luck with your girl - although it is lots of effort it is worse when they eat gluten and feel so miserable. Only a great mum would go to so much trouble to try and accomodate your girl so don't beat yourself up.

undercut, Jul 13, 3:00am
Thank you to everyone for sharing your wealth of knowledge. I have printed this out and will be trying all of your ideas, and will be keeping a look out on here for more inspiration.
I'll let you know what works and when I have any recipies to share you'll be the first to know.

lythande1, Oct 25, 1:14am
LOL, metabolism.
She's not fat because she isn't filling up on flour based products. We should all copy and we'd all be slim.