Turning lamb roast into casserole?

maxi42, Jul 12, 1:41am
Our lamb roast yesterday was a disappointment, tough & tasteless. Followed instructions on package: 1kg= 1 and 1/2 hrs at 160 degr. Maybe we sliced it too thin.
Anyway, would it make a nice casserole? And how long could I cook it for then? Thanks.

cookessentials, Jul 12, 1:54am
I take it you mean using the left over meat?

I do this with any cold roast meat left over.

In a casserole dish, layer alternately with the meat, onion rings, a small sprinkle of dried herbs, thinly sliced potato or kumara or both. Make sure the final layer is potato or kumara. Make up a reasonably thick gravy ( and yes, I use Bisto! )
Pour over a tin of chopped tomatoes in juice andthen the gravy. Into the oven at about 170C until cooked through and potato is tender.

dbab, Jul 12, 2:24am
You could make it into croquettes. They are very tasty.

1 packet mushroom soup mix; 3/4 cup cold water; 1 onion; 1Tblsp butter;, 2 cups minced lamb; 1 cup mashed potato;1/4 cup flour; salt and pepper; 1 egg; 1 Tblsp water; dry breadcrumbs; oil for frying. ( Good with any leftover meat. I just mince it up in the food processor)

Mix the mushroom soup to a smooth paste with the first measure of water. Heat gently (or cook in the microwave, stirring often) until thick and smooth. Cool
Peel and finely chop the onion. Melt butter and lightly fry the onion.
In a bowl combine the soup, onion, minced meat and mashed potato. Divide into 6 portions and shape into rolls.
Season the flour with salt and pepper. Lightly beat the egg with the second measure of water.
Dip each roll into the flour, then the egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
Chill for about 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a frypan and fry the rolls for about 10-15 minutes, turning to brown all over.
Make sure your mixture is cold before shaping into rolls. I usually make patties, as I find them easier to form and to turn when cooking.

fisher, Jul 12, 2:34am
OR. .
Sheppard'sPie:. . Preheat oven to 160 c
Ingredients:
6 cups cooked minced meat left over lamb. . 1 large onion, chopped. . 3 tbsp butter. . 3/4 cup tomato sauce. . 2 tbsp tomato relish. . 1 egg, beaten. . 1/2 cup cream. . pepper and salt. . a small squirt of mint sauce mixed in if you want...
Method:
In fry pan, soften onion in butter. Mix all ingredients together.
Place in buttered pie dish and cover with freshly mashed potato. .
Run a fork through the top to make nice grooves and dot with butter and bake at 160C for approx... 1/2 an hour or so...
Variations:
Add sliced green pepper, mushrooms or tomato and the topping of mashed potato brushed with egg yolk...

we_egg, Jul 12, 7:46am
or a pie... . mix meat with gravy and any other veges... bung it in pastry and there you go.

biker_69, Jul 12, 10:32am
Eeeeew!

cookessentials, Jul 12, 6:40pm
It is perfectly fine. If someone wants to make a pan gravy, go for it! or you MAY even have a nice pan gravy left over from the previous roast.

horseychick, Jul 12, 7:56pm
I do a curry with my left over lamb, I use the Edmonds curried sauages recipe, really yum!

red2, Oct 21, 10:46am
can also use it to make a lasagne - great layered with silverbeet or spinach