Vermicelli Question

starry29, Jul 9, 12:22am
i bought some for the first time to try... now what? lol... . . how do you cook this stuff... put in a pot of boiling water? ... my sister said boil the jug and then pour water over them in a bowl... any help appreciated lol

valentino, Jul 9, 12:27am
Use a pair of scissors to cut vermicelli through the middle into two halves then place in a good decent size bowl and cover with boiling hot water (Sufficient water to go beyond covering), leave be for at least 10 minutes then serve or use as per a given recipe.

Cheers.

starry29, Jul 9, 12:29am
thanks a bunch valentino

sarah55555, Jul 9, 12:31am
Cheesy Chicken Vermicelli

Ingredients:
1 lb vermicelli or angel hair pasta (pre-cooked as above)
3 C cubed cooked chicken
5 C (20 oz) shredded cheddar cheese
Italian seasoning (use generously)
Salt
Pepper
1 C milk

Directions:
1. Grease a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
2. Layer pasta, chicken, seasonings and cheese several times.
3. Just before baking, pour milk over top.
4. Cover with foil, if space permits. (I sometimes press down to compact the ingredients into the dish. )
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.

valentino, Jul 9, 12:32am
A common dressing one can use to go with above is...

1/3 cup light soy sauce
1 tablespoon palm sugar (if no Palm then castor or soft brown is okay to use) and
1/2 cup rice vinegar.

Just mix and whisk together then pour over vermicelli.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 1:12am
Taro Vermicelli is just the BEST - our local fine dining restaurant, "The Countryman" does it with tiger prawns as an entree and it is beautiful. Dietmar, the chef used to be at the Sonisali Resort in Samoa and used to make it there.

goldgurl, Jul 9, 2:16am
that resort is in Fiji - not samoa.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 3:01am
Mmm, I was sure that was what Martina said- anyway, it was definately Samoa, so must be a resort with a name that sounds similar. its very tasty.

cookessentials, Jul 9, 3:03am
It's Sinalei resort.

buzzy110, Oct 12, 1:15pm
Perhaps this recipe from fireman's girl might be more helpful.

Vermicelli
250gm packet is heaps. Soak it in boiling water then drain.
Dark Soya Sauce
Finely dice:1kg steak, (you can use topside but I prefer rump)
Chop:3 onions and cloves of garlic, as many as you like depending on taste. Grate:Fresh Ginger
Put a tblspn or two of oil on a large pot and heat until really hot
Fry off the Onion, Garlic & Ginger
Add the Rump.
Add Soy Sauce maybe a 1/4 cup to start
Add water enough to cover meat and simmer for maybe 30 minutes or longer if you use topside
Taste. If you want more Garlic or Ginger, add it now. Add more soy if required. DON'T SALT. There is enough in the soy.
Add the vermicelli, mix through so that the soy colours the vermicelli totally. Alternatively let the meat cool overnight, reheat the next day and then add vermicelli. Eat! ! !
firemansgirl