GARLIC

pat56, Jul 8, 5:43am
When pressing garlic do you use what's left in the press part as well as the garlic that is squeezed thru?

anden16, Jul 8, 5:44am
I do if its for meatballs or meat loaf.

rainrain1, Jul 8, 5:55am
I always skin mine first, no waste that-a-way

uli, Jul 8, 6:04am
I chop it - too much waste otherwise... - and if you don't want to waste half of the garlic in the press - then you need to take a board out and chop the leftovers anyway... so it is much less work to chop it straight away :)

antoniab, Jul 8, 6:33am
I didnt but my Dad does. Now I use one of those lil dishes with the grooves cut in it that you rub the garlic on, still get a bit let over but I love how it minces the garlic, making it really fragrant which you dont get so much when you chop it.

fisher, Jul 8, 11:26am
95% I chop mine very very finely... (It's the thing I can chop the fastest lol) and depending on dish use a little salt to "paste up" or just crush it as well. . sometimes just smash it with chopper side if its just flavouring oil so it's more easily removed so not to burn. .
Occasionally grate it, but really only when I'm grating ginger as well :}

pickles7, Jul 8, 10:15pm
I use crushed from a jar now.
Got sick of throwing out more than half of what I was buying. Worse than that, not being able to find a good clove, to use a few times.

cookessentials, Jul 8, 10:56pm
I dont because my garlic press takes the whole clove skin and all, so I dont have to peel it at all.

pericles, Jul 8, 11:38pm
Fisher uses his Japanese cleaver

fisher, Jul 9, 1:28am
Pericles... .correct big tick to you gal:}
I never buy the chinese garlic and only pick out the purple coloured garlic from NZ. . If it's dry and wizened I leave it. . very rare I have any wastage. . tried growing garlic and elephant garlic with limited success. .

beaker59, Jul 9, 5:25am
If you are wasting garlic in your press then youneed a better press the one I have is waste free pretty much. Some dishes I press for and others I chop for not always sure why but I think you get more garlic flavour develop from pressing and you can get more garlic in if you slice without overpowering. We use allot of garlic in this house.

malcovy, Jul 9, 11:05pm
I have had one like this for for over 20 years and its brilliant. It gets all the garlic and just leaves skin behind. I also use it for ginger and shallots.

pat56, Oct 16, 5:42am
Do you mean you don't take the outer papery skin off before pressing?