Unbaked slices - a question...

patsprat, Jun 9, 10:36pm
I have a recipe for an unbaked chocolate fudge slice with crushed biscuits, cocoa, nuts etc and an egg, which is refrigerated but not cooked. I've made it lots of times with no problems but I've recently read a thread somewhere which suggested that you could get salmonella from the uncooked egg? ? is this very likely? We've had no problems, maybe because the slice gets eaten pretty quickly (it's yummy! ) but what if it was in the fridge for longer than a week or so? Anyone know?

lilyfield, Jun 9, 11:03pm
you can always cut into pieces and freeze-if it worries you. My slices would not last the week. Why is the egg in there in the first place? Leave it out and use a it more butter instead.

245sam, Jun 9, 11:14pm
patsprat, over recent years we have been told that "you could get salmonella from the uncooked egg" however like yourself I have, and Mum has too for the last 50+ years, made various things that have uncooked egg (usually the egg white, but sometimes both the white and yolk) in them and to date no-one that I am aware of has become unwell from eating any of those items; however the fudge slice recipe that I have is a well tried and tested one that my Mum used to make when we were children and it uses an egg that is actually cooked - if you're sufficiently concerned maybe you'd like to try that recipe which can be found at:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=15&t=633

Look for "Fudge Cake – a more everyday version". :-))

indy95, Jun 10, 12:38am
Your recipe sounds exactly the same as mine, patsprat, and we have never had a problem with it or with any other recipe using raw eggs. I don't think the salmonella threat from raw eggs is as great here as in some other countries, although I think pregnant women and people with lowered immunity are usually advised not to eat them.

patsprat, Jun 10, 2:09am
Thanks for your comments, I think I'll probably keep on using my trusty old recipe since no one has actually fallen over sick so far;
thanks for your recipe 245sam, I'll try that too.

shazzy67, Jun 10, 2:18am
I was told by doctors when one of my kids had salmonella that the strain of that bug in NZ doesn't pass from the chook to the eggs, in America apparently it can. They told me not to worry about eggs.

harrislucinda, Jun 10, 2:38am
butdontyoumeltallthen addthebeateneggandcookaminor2beforeaddingthebiscuitswhilestillontheelementasidotheneggiscookedsowhatstheproblem

holdenss, Jun 10, 4:01am
I think your find its a combination of being a dry kind of slice with a high sugar content for keeping properties. Salmonella has a higher caution as we know when it comes to "scatch" custard sq as its very moist and only partically cooked. Most bacteria needs 3 things to survive: food/moisture/warmth, cut out one of those and your chances of bacteria growth and getting sick are reduced significantly.

wildflower, Jun 10, 4:21am
None of my uncooked slices have egg in them, it's always butter, honey etc to hold it together.

holdenss, Jun 10, 4:31am
True, but egg containing a natural emusifier can moisturise without being sticky(honey/syrups) or greasy(fat).
For sure though you can use alternatives if your unsure about the egg, Like patsprat and 245sam the recipe I use has been used in my family for yonks with no probs.

guanoloco, Jul 25, 6:11pm
I remove my melted butter, sugar, from the heat before I add the egg, but figure there is enough heat left in the mix to "cook" the egg. I've never had a problem with it, nor my mother nor grandmother, and that is how old the main recipe I use is :)