My bread failed:(

jussa, Jun 8, 5:46am
lol. . its a fail free recipe. . lol. .
i think it may have been the yeast. .
i mixed it with boiling hot water (not realising hubs had just boiled the jug). . rather than warm which the recipe suggests. .

and i accidentally poured the whole lot of the yeast in too fast...

so... . which one of these boo boos do you think did it... lol

2halls, Jun 8, 5:47am
The boiling water for sure. Yeast is alive, and you killed the poor wee beastie by pouring boiling water on it. Tepid tap water is enough to activate yeast :-)

deus701, Jun 8, 5:57am
you mass murderer!

beaker59, Jun 8, 6:18am
Genocide by boiling water for sure.

unknowndisorder, Jun 8, 10:29am
Oooh boy, don't go on Masterchef, they'll crucify you for killing the yeast incorrectly. :)
For the breadmaker, I definitely just use lukewarm water (funnily enough, the first few loaves I was ignorant on it, and just used cold water and it worked fine, which now strikes me as wierd, but no matter).

That does raise a question on my part though, if I'm setting the b/m up for around the time my husband finishes work, does it really matter if I use cold water? More curiosity than anything else. The programme I'm using goes straight into mixing, and doesn't preheat first.

wron, Jun 9, 9:40am
The breadmaker probably warms it so the fermentation can begin - I've always used water straight from the cold tap - mind you I've had problems with Edmonds yeast recently - along with lots of others - and switched to Tasti.

lilyfield, Jun 9, 9:54am
on time delay= cold water does not matter. it cools down anyway while waiting to start. In the colder month I use slightly tepid water, never in summer.

ruby19, Jun 9, 11:10pm
Also I am sure I heard on TV thattoo much either sugar or salt can make the bread fail. I heard it at the time and thought I must remember that, and now have forgotten!

2halls, Jun 10, 3:07am
Too much salt can definitely kill yeast, and if you are handmaking bread, you never add the salt until after the yeast is activated, and at the same time as you are adding the flour. Too much sugar won't kill the yeast, but it can make it 'over prove', which basically means you put the yeast on steroids and it blows out too big ! ! :-)

oopie, Jun 10, 3:08am
LMAO
Excellent.

uli, Jul 23, 10:46am
Yep! :)