Miso soup, how to make it please.

coro2, Jun 7, 12:06am
I buy this often from the Sushi shop, have bought white Miso paste to make it myself but can't get it quite as tasty as the Sushi shop one! Anyone know how? Thanks,

diz_fullah, Jun 7, 1:17am
miso soup sachet from asian stores :)

245sam, Jun 7, 1:33am
coro2, have a look at:-

http://japanesefood. about.com/od/misosoup/r/misosouptofu.htm

The recipe on that link includes tofu which IMO, you could omit if you didn't have or didn't like tofu.

Hope that and the associated links on that site help. :-))

coro2, Jun 7, 1:35am
Thanks, I will read up on that link.

uli, Jun 7, 1:43am
If you buy it at a sushi shop - chances are that these people making it are Japanese (or Korean).

If Japanese then they will use dashi as a stock and add the veges and miso to that.

A basic dashi (stock) is made from kelp, dried tuna flakes, and dried shiitake mushrooms. Often there are other ingredients as well, just as well all cook different versions of vege stock here in NZ.

Sometimes you can buy dashi in little sachets in the speciality aisles of the supermarkets here.

coro2, Jun 7, 2:40am
Ok, so dashi must be the ingredient that I am missing when I try to make it, many thanks. I find the soup so nourishing and a good healthy option when you are on the run.

nichola_h, Jun 7, 8:38am
If you are using the white one, it might be that you arent using the same type as the shop you like. My favourite is red - ive only seen it in packets here (not the paste stuff, it is powder). Or, they might use a big tub of paste and use more than you. Or, it might be the dashi they put in, altho i think most places here just use the paste. Just ask them how they make theirs!

nichola_h, Jun 7, 8:41am
Just saw you are in chch - you should go to kobeya and have a look at what they have there. They are great! http://bit. ly/cHzIVV e

nichola_h, Jun 7, 8:42am
Tell them someone called Takoyaki sent you too! ! ! (you can google it)

taniajane, Jun 7, 7:33pm
Very interesting, i have used the packets of miso and they havnt yet tasted as good from the soup from the local restaurant. Like the link i think i will hit the local market and look to make it from scratch.

coro2, Jun 7, 11:42pm
Thanks Takoyaki, I will go there!

elliehen, Jun 8, 1:01am
New World supermarkets have 'tubes' of sachets for about $3. 00 in their ethnic food aisle; they taste very similar to that sold by the local Japanese sushi bar.

245sam, Jun 8, 1:14am
For an instant soup I buy those " 'tubes' of sachets" at Pak n Save (usually Moorhouse Ave) -$2. 70-$2. 80 for a 'tube' of 10 sachets: Place the contents of 1 sachet in a 250ml mug or cup and mix it with a few tbsp cold water then fill the mug/cup with just-boiled water. Stir and enjoy. :-))

karenz, Jun 8, 4:03am
Countdown have the strips of individual packets of miso which contain the seaweed. Sometimes I add cubes of tofu and spring onions to these. Don't water it down too much these little packets only really make a cup not a mug of soup.

karenz, Jun 8, 4:07am
And if you have a Davis Trading in your area they sell strips of packets that have the tofu as well but they are a lot more expensive.

deus701, Jun 8, 5:56am
This is what you need. . you make the stock first with bonito flakes, konbu (seaweed) until the stock becomes a clear golden colour. . then you can add your miso in.

With just miso & water. . it will lack body and be nothing more than salt water.

gavin166, Jul 18, 10:59pm
coro we've been buying bulk packs at the Asian Food warehouse (by Briscoes, Peterborough St? ). There's 12 in a packet - 12 miso sachets and 12 assorted soup base flavours, with wakame or tofu or fried bean curd. Is pretty good and instant!
There are heeeaps of kinds of miso all with different tastes so trial and error till you find one you like. Red miso is good!