Diabetic Baking

Page 4 / 29
cgvl, Oct 10, 7:04pm
Muesli Slice Ingredients: 2cups rolled oats, 2Tbsp wholemeal flour, 1cup dried mixed fruit eg apricots, dates, raisins, sultanas, figs; 1tsp cinnamon, 1tsp mixed spice, 1/4cup seeds eg pumpjin, sunflower, sesame; 1/2cup fruit juice, 1tbsp peanut butter, 1tsp coconut essence, 1tsp vanilla essence, 1egg, 1Tbsp brown sugar. Method: Mix the oats, flour, fruit, spices and seeds together. Stir in the juice, peanut butter and essences. Beat the egg and brown sugar together then combine all the ingredinets, mix well. Press into a sponge roll tin and cook 15mins @ 200C. when cold slice into 15 bars. Info per bar, energy 419kj/100kcal CHO 17gFat lowFibre moderate

calista, Oct 12, 1:24am
Bumping for Jaz8

cgvl, Oct 12, 10:18pm
Some meal ideas coming up: In the meantime some other helpful hopefully hints for newly diagnosed diabetics. 1) try to cut down on sugary foods and added sugar and salt, use herbs and spices instead of salt. Sugar in tea or coffee and milo, do this by slowly cutting back it may take several weeks to get down to where it is palatable without any sugar. 2) Fats and oils in cooking. Use good oils ie olive or avocado and use them sparingly. 3) dressing on salads, replace these with lemon juice or homemade lite oil dressings again use sparingly. 4) fizzy drinks and high sugar cordials. Replace with diet or soda water and cordials with unsweetened juices like Barkers, add lemons or oranges whole or sliced to a large jug of water. 5) spreads, jams, peanut butter, marmalade. Look for the sugar free varieties one brand is Jok'n'al another is Dietex both do nice marmalades and jams. Peanut Butter, make your own or buy the No added sugar No added salt varieties.

cgvl, Oct 12, 10:19pm
cont'd 6) Cereals, lots of debate here cornflakes, ricies, weet-bix and rolled oats all ok read the label and think about how much you have. Finally learn to read the labels and know the amounts less than 10gms fat and sugar per 100gms of food and high fibre content

whiskey13, Oct 13, 2:19am
Thanks cgvl for all your helpful hints, am going to put them into practice now

cgvl, Oct 15, 11:37pm
Kumara Chowder Ingrdients: 3 onions, 750g Kumara, 900mls milk, 1 medium can Cream Style Sweetcorn, 2 small tins shrimps 300mls cream, salt and pepper. Method: Chop onions and fry until tender. Peel kumara, cook in salted water until soft. Drain reserving some of the liquid and mash with milk. Add onions and sweetcorn and slowly bring to boil. Add reserved liquid if desired for consistency, season to taste. Just before serving add cream and shrimps. Reheat but do not boil as will curdle. Serve with parsley and croutons. Will serve 8. I do not add cream to this and use skinny milk.

cgvl, Oct 15, 11:41pm
Cream of Pumpkin soup Ingredients: 1onion chopped, Pumpkin, skin removed and chopped into small pieces, salt and pepper, milk. Lightly fry onions. cook pumpkin until soft, drain and mash with milk, add onions and season to taste. I use approx 1 piece of pumpkin per person and add an extra onion if making for large group.

cgvl, Oct 15, 11:46pm
Basic Casserole Ingredients: 6 neck or leg chops or 500g stewing steak, 1 onion chopped, 1Tbsp flour, 1Tbsp sugar or use a substitute, 1Tbsp vinegar, 1Tbsp Tomato Sauce, 1/2tsp curry powder, 1/2 tsp mustard powder, salt and pepper, 1/2-1cup water.
Put all ingredients into a casserole dish and cook at medium heat for 2hours. If using crockpot/slow cooker use only 1/2cup water and cook longer.

cgvl, Oct 15, 11:51pm
Meat Loaf Mix together 500g lean mince, 500g sausage meat(or skinned sausages), 1 onion chopped, 1cup breadcrumbs, 1/2tsp mixed herbs, salt and pepper to taste and 1 egg. flour hands and shape into a loaf, put into a meatpan/loaftin and garnish with strips of bacon if desired (4 rashers). Put loaf tin inside a meat dish to catch any drips and bake 10mins at 180C then lower to 150C for 1 hour. I usually line my loaf tin with foil first, easier to get out and also stops liquid/fat leaks onto oven bottom.

apostrophe, Oct 16, 7:37am
Try this blog site http://www.hungryandfrozen. blogspot.com
You could always ask a question under the comments.

cgvl, Oct 18, 4:24am
back to the front page

lilee, Oct 18, 5:11am
OMG this thread is great. I've been worried about how I was gonna cope without sugar, and just from the quick look I've had so far, it looks like there is some great recipes for me to try. I'm going to print these recipes out and make myself a booklet - so would just like to say thanks for the great ideas. Will make life much easier I'm sure. :)

cgvl, Oct 18, 9:43am
Not a problem lilee. Check out your library for books too, I have picked up a couple which I think are mentioned on here. One has good meal ideas and menus in it.
Ask questions anytime and I or one of the others will endeavour to reply.
Cheers

jaz8, Oct 18, 11:53am
What a fantastic thread. I have just been told I have diabetes and find out on Friday if it is type 1 or 2. Have been doing lots of researching but still feel there is heaps I don't know about it, and a lot of things confuse me. I love food! And I have a huge sweet tooth so to find I can still enjoy yummy things is a relief. Hopefully I can contribute some of my own recipes in the future.

cgvl, Oct 18, 7:13pm
bump for meatloaf

cgvl, Oct 18, 11:58pm
jaz8. I have a sweet and savoury tooth lo. Love chocolate so have resorted to the 70+ stuff ... Whittakers do one and I have noticed I don't crave it as much as I used to. Sometimes listed as bitter sweet chololate not really sweet at all but I have found the one DH likes is too sweet/sickly for me. There is a lot of confusing ideas about, suggest you make sure you get a dieticians referral as they do have some good stuff, although I feel they load far too much emphasis on Carbs at times but that is just my opinion.

litedelites, Oct 19, 2:27am
Hi All, if you are craving some chocolate and want a great treat de Spa Choclatier has sugar free chocolates. Diabetes runs in our family and I have had a fair bit of consultation with Diabetes Christchurch over the years. Splenda is also good and our family uses it a lot. It all depends on the individual and their taste and what works for their body.

jaz8, Oct 19, 2:29am
I have bought that whittakers choc, i let myself have two squares ever 1-2 days. I know I don't need sugar, I just crave it after meals. It is so frustrating because everything I have read that says how to manage diabetes mentions losing weight and eating better, but I'm not overweight and I eat pretty well (lots of greens, v. rarely any processed food). So I don't know what to do. But will definitely get onto a dietician, thanks for that.

cgvl, Oct 24, 12:13am
back to first page for those who want ideas

joyfuljoybell, Oct 24, 1:09am
cgvl and others Thanks so much for this page. I have found it real helpful and will be trying many of these recipes

cgvl, Oct 25, 1:22am
just a gentle bump so it can be found again

jenz18, Oct 27, 8:31pm
What a great thread this is. Love your recipes cgvl. Do you happen to have one for madeira cake and just a plain cake?

cgvl, Oct 28, 7:09am
Hi jenz, I will have a look through my books. I have been making some using a sour dough type recipe and cutting back the sugar by two thirds and apart from being smaller they have turned out fine.

cgvl, Oct 28, 8:32pm
Apricot Whip 1can pureed unsweetened apricots (415g), 1/4cup sugar (55g) or substitute, 2tsp gelatine (6g), 2Tbsp water (40ml), 2 egg whites. Method:Blend or puree the apricots plus sugar. Dissolve gelatine in cold water, heat until clear in micro or pot. Add to apricot mix and chill until beginning to set. Whip egg whites until stiff and fold through chilled puree. Divide into 6 serving dishes. Refrigerate until set. Variations: substitute any of these for the apricots. Apple-4 medium stewed apples. Strawberry-200g strawberries. Raspberry or any berry fruit the same as strawberry. Apple/bluebaerry -2apples/200g blueberries. Info with sugar KJ 290 kcal 71, pro(g)3, CHO 14, fibre 1, Na(mg)24. No sugar KJ 160 kcal 38, CHO 6

cgvl, Oct 28, 8:42pm
Chocolate Mousse 3tsp gelatine (9g), 11/2Tbsp Cocoa (15g), 1/2 cup water (125ml), 1can Carnation Lite evaporated Milk (375ml) Chilled, 1/2cup sugar (110g) or substitute, 1tsp vanilla (5ml). Method: Stir gelatine and cocoa in water to form a smooth paste. Heat in micro or on stove top until gelatine melts. Place chilled milk in a chilled mixing bowl and beat until thick. Beat in sugar, vanilla and hot cocoa mix. Pour into 12 glasses, refrigerate until set. Serve with low fat ice cream and if desired finely chopped hazelnuts. Variation: Strawberry - substutue ! cup of finely chopped strawberries for the cocoa. Info per serve of mousse only. Sugar version: KJ 337, Kcal 82, CHO 14, Cholesterol 3mg. No sugar version KJ 207, kcal 49, CHO 5