Type 1 diabetic

amarni1, Sep 12, 9:11pm
my husband has recently discovered he is diabetic and I am trying to give him healthy low sugar alternatives.I am using artifical sweetners.Just wondering if it is ok for my wee 12 month old to eat?

joybells2, Sep 12, 9:27pm
No, I wouldnt give artificial sweeteners to young children.I also am diabetic and used artificial sweetners for years but children do need a bit of sugar.Only my opinion.

lythande1, Sep 13, 12:41am
If he is Type 1 then watch it. He'll be on insulin - he can get low sugar very easily and then you'll need something to bring it up fast. High sugar kills you very slowly - low can kill you in a few hours.

thejewellerybox, Sep 14, 12:01am
ReadDr Bernsteinsdiabetes book, the best onefor explaininghow to manage diabetes.

southerngurl, Sep 14, 1:04am

sharn69, Sep 16, 10:35pm
I have been type1 for 21 years and my kids eat artifical sweetners occasionally( if they think mine looks better than theirs). I would not give it regularlyto a baby of this ageas the brain needs a certain amount of sugar to function.I also have a son type1 who was diagnosed when he was 15 and we found it hard to find recipes but as he was still a kid we were given a recipe book free of charge by the diabetes foundation.The book is BEE HEALTHY COOKBOOK. As far as i know you can purchase it from the diabetes foundation.just saw you can order the bookby callin 03 3795120 or fax 03 379 5199. IT has soups and starters, salads and veges, vegetarian,pasta,meat chicken and fish,deserts, pastry,scones muffins and loaves,cakes slices and biscuits, festive fare and drinks.
i hope this is helpful to you. sharon

elliehen, Sep 17, 12:01am
It's best for your 12-month-old to avoid all artificial sweeteners as well as ADDED sugar.

bedazzledjewels, Sep 17, 1:02am
I agree with Elliehen!

buzzy110, Sep 17, 3:35am
So do I! (agree with ellihen)

bel55, Sep 17, 3:42am
I know this sounds stange, but look up www.arthritispain.co.nz.I have just bought a sugar substitute called "Just like sugar" and it is completely natural. I rang them yesterday (I am type 2 diabetic) to ask about this sugar, bought it and it arrived today. The lady on the phone was very helpful and knowledgeable. Toll free 0508 367 858 She may be able to answer your question about your son. If you have to give him sugar at all, just give ordinary sugar, but until you actually give him sugary things hes not going to want them!

kurtis, Sep 17, 5:16am
all artificial sweetners are deadly except for stevia

buzzy110, Sep 17, 5:38am
Of course they are kurtis but poster #1 doesn't want to know that the liver turns them into formeldehyde, causing no end of damage throughout the body because she and her husband, like most westerners, feel that sugar is absolutely vital for their health and well being, along with pancreas damaging grains (indirectly) and therefore would rather eat artificial sugars than give sweet food away altogether.

I bet she won't bother reading Dr richard Bernstein either, because that would mean she and her husband would have to take responsibility for his condition and it is much easier to let his doctor and a bunch of little white pills do it for them.

So give up while you are ahead. I have. I no longer offer any unasked for advice, and sometimes, depending on the poster, I don't even offer it when it is asked for. Leave that to ellihen and ferita. They have a huge store of misinformation and nonsense (mostly) which they are just dying to share around.

cloudberry, Sep 17, 6:05am
Just to clarify, Dr Stan Bernstein is the doctor who has a very expensive weight loss program utilising Vitamin B injections.

Dr Richard Bernstein is a well respected doctor who recommends a low-carbohydrate diabetes diet and treatment plan and has a book called Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution.

buzzy110, Sep 17, 6:14am
I have read both the Diabetes for Dummies and Dr Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. Dr B's book so impressed me that I bought a copy for my own library and own personal interest. the knowledge imparted in that book not only helps diabetics but also educates ordinary people about how to avoid getting diabetes in the first instance.

His recommendations fly in the face of those of the Diabetes Foundation, both here and in the States, but they work 100% better than the Foundations' advice.

On the other hand he does recommend some artificial sweeteners for those just cannot live without sweet food.

cgvl, Sep 18, 1:21am
armani1, there is a recipe thread called diabetic baking that has some of the Bee Healthy recipes on it.
Type 1 diabetes is very different from type 2 so if you use any of the recipes from the thread please read them carefully and substitute sugar for artificial sweetener.
the Bee Healthy ones have fat, carb and sugar amounts included.

elliehen, Mar 28, 3:09pm
You don't offer unasked for advice?Really??What's all this then???