Diabetic Baking

Page 3 / 29
cgvl, Sep 28, 7:59pm
Fruity Pinwheel scones Make up a plain scone dough. Filling: 1/2cup chopped dried Apricots, 1/4cup chopped raisins, 1/4cup chopped dates, 1tsp Cinnamon, 1/2cup Boiling water, 1tsp Cornflour. Method: Bring all ingredients, except cornflour, to boil and simmer for 10mins. Mix cornflour in 2Tbsp of water, add to fruit mixture. Continue to heat until thick. Cool. Roll out dough and spread mixture over. Roll up dpugh and cut into slices. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon if desired. Bake 15-20mins at 200C

melford, Sep 28, 9:03pm
I bought one of these books last week it is great

jwatson, Sep 29, 10:58am
The Symply Too Good recipe books are also great and they are approved by Diabetes NZ and Aus ... all low fat recipes, low sodium etc. Type 2's have a bit of flexibility with recipes, but I have a daughter with Type 1 and we have to account for everything she eats and the Symply books list all the nutritional info which makes it easier. There is lots of baking recipes in those books, if anyone is looking for something particular let me know.

tippsey, Sep 29, 4:56pm
Another helpfull thing is do a 'Search" on the net for Diabetic Recipies. Thats what I did long ago and found quite a few helpfull sites...
http://www.recipezaar.com/recipes. php? q=Diabetic+Recipies

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/4121/diabetic.html

http://diabeteshelpcenter.com/free_access. asp

http://www.diabetes.org.nz/food/recipes/index.html

cgvl, Sep 29, 7:46pm
both books I have also have nutritional info for each recipe it is great. and yes you are right some type 2's do have more flexibility with foods. any nice tried and true recipes would be appreciated

spinderella, Oct 2, 11:59am
bump . . . . . . . . bump

cgvl, Oct 3, 1:12am
Chocolate crackles 125g Kremelta, 1/2cup Skim milk powder, 1cup coconut, 2 Tbsp cocoa, 1/4cup dried apricots chopped, 1/4 sultanas, 1/2tsp grated fresh ginger, 3cups Rice Bubbles, 1dstsp Artificial sweetner. Melt Kremelta, add all ingredients except rice bubbles and sweetner. mix well. add sweetner to taste, then mix in ricies. Spoon into patty pans and refrigerate. makes 20.

cgvl, Oct 3, 1:19am
Ginger Chicken Bites 1tsp Oil, 2 spring onions, finely sliced, 1 crushed clove garlic, 1tsp grated fresh ginger, 350g minced chicken, 1Tbsp parmesan cheese, 1Tbsp chopped parsley, 1cup cooked (brown) rice. salt and pepper to taste. Method: Heat the oil and gently fry the onions, garlic and ginger until soft. In a bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients, add the onion mixture to this and mix well. Season with pepper and salt. cover and refrigerate for 30 mins. Roll tablespoons of the mix into balls. bake on a lightly greased oven tray, turning once at 180C for 30 mins. makes approx 20. each ball contains Energy 200kj/48kcal and CHO 3g

joanne01, Oct 3, 8:34am
thanks for this thread was very helpful, my dad is diabetic and i've wanted to make him a diabetic-friendly cake (as oppose to my normal sugar-death inducing cakes where he can only eat a teeny tiny slice! ) and trying to buy a diabetic cake in auckland is very hard, at one cake store in new market the lady actually laughed at me when i asked if she made cakes for diabetics. :/

cgvl, Oct 3, 9:00pm
I have recipes for loaves and cakes will sort thru and put some up. do you want the nutruitional info as well?

cgvl, Oct 3, 9:31pm
Fruit Balls or Log 1/2cup each of sultanas, raisins, dates, coconut, boiling water, skim milk powder, crushed weet-bix or cornflakes or rice bubbles. 3/4 cup each of Dried apricots, extra coconut, 1/4cup of prunes, 1/3cup each of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, 2tsp lemon juice, 1/2tsp fresh grated ginger. Method: chop the dried fruits in a food processor. Place in a large bowl with the boiling water, stand 15mins. Add all the remaining ingredients except the extra coconut. Mix well. Form into a log or balls and roll in extra coconut. refrigerate for at least 1hour before use. Serve/makes 20. Per serve energy 498kj/119kcal CHO 14g Fat mod Fibre high.

cgvl, Oct 3, 9:39pm
Sultana Apple Cake 1+1/2cup grated Apple, 1/4cup oil, 1/2Tbsp artificial sweetner, 2eggs Beat these ingredients together. Mix in the following 1/2cup unsweetened natural yoghurt, 1/2cup reduced fat milk, 1cup rolled oats, 1/2cup sultanas. Sift the following ingredients together and add to apple mix, 1cup self raising flour, 1/2tsp baking soda, 1tsp mixed spice, 2tsp cinnamon. Mix until just combined. Spoon into a 15x20cm tin and cook 30mins @ 180C. makes 20 pieces. Info energy 391kj/93kcal CHO 12g Fat low Fibre Moderate

cgvl, Oct 3, 9:45pm
Ginger Loaf Combine 1cup white flour, 1cup wholemeal flour, 2tsp ground ginger and 1tsp mixed spice. heat 1+1/4cup reduced fat milk, 1Tbsp margarine, and 1Tbsp golden syrup together. Stir in 1tsp baking soda. pour over the dry ingredients. Add 2tsp artificial sweetner and 1 egg lightly beaten. mix together but do not over mix. Pour into a loaf tin and bake 1- 11/4hours @ 150C. Cuts into 15 slices. Info energy 328kj/78kcal CHO 15g Fat low Fibre moderate

cgvl, Oct 4, 10:01am
Any Fruit Ice Cream 2 x 425g tins of fruit or the equivalent in fresh fruit, 2 eggs, separated, 1Tbsp artificial sweetner, 375ml reduced fat milk, 1/2cup skim milk powder.
Method:In a food processor blend the fruit, include the juice, to a smooth paste. In a double boiler that is simmering, whisk together the egg yolks, sweetner, milk and milk powder. Stir continually for 10mins or until the custard thickens. Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Remove the custard from the heat and pour into a suitable ice cream container, add the fruit puree and fold in the egg whites. Freeze several hours until firm. Bring out freezer 1/2 an hour before serving. Serves 6. Info per serve energy 810kj/195kcal, CHO 35g, Fat low, Fibre moderate

cgvl, Oct 5, 7:34pm
Bread and Butter Pudding 3eggs, 2cups reduced fat milk, 2tsp artificial sweetner (sucryl, 1tsp vanilla essence, 2Tbsp raisins/sultanas, 2tbsp low cal jam, 6 thick slices bread, 1/4tsp nutmeg. Beat eggs, add milk, sweetner, vanilla and raisins. Mix well. Spread jam lightly over bread and cut each into 4 pieces and line a baking dish. pour over egg mix and sprinkle with nutmeg. Bake 150C for 30mins. Serves 4. Info energy 849kj/202kcal CHO 27g Fat & Fibre low.

cgvl, Oct 5, 7:39pm
Never Fail Pavlova 2dessertspoons Gelatine, 1cup boiling water, 1tsp artificial sweetner, 2tsp lemon juice/vinegar, 2egg whites, 2tsp vanilla essence. Method: Dissolve the gelatine in the water, cool then add all other ingredients. Beat on a fast speed until mixture forms peaks. Pour into a suitable serving bowl and allow to set. serves 4. Info energy 67kj/16kcal CHO nil, Fat & Fibre low

cgvl, Oct 5, 7:50pm
Berry Delight Cheesecake Base: 1cup Rolled Oats, 1/4cup coconut, 1tsp cinnamon, 1egg beaten, 1Tbsp reduced fat marg melted, 1-2drops artificial sweetner. Mix in food processor then press into a baking dish. Cook 180C for 10mins. Cool. Filling: 1 sachet of low calorie lemon jelly (weight watchers) 1/2cup boiling water, 250g low fat cream cheese, 1cup low fat cottage cheese or quark, 3tsp lemon juice, 1tsp vanilla essence, 1Tbsp artificial sweetner, 1cup unsweetened natural yoghurt. Method Dissolve the jelly in boiling water and allow to cool. Blend the cream cheese and sieved cottage cheese/quark. Add jelly to the cheese mix along withthejuice, essence and sweetner. Mix well. Fold in the yoghurt. Pour onto crust and spread evenly. Refrigerate until set. Cont'd

cgvl, Oct 5, 7:50pm
cheesecake cont'd Topping: 2cups berries, fresh or frozen. 1sachet of berry flavoured low cal jelly, 1/2cup water. Method: Combine the jelly, berries and water in a pot. Cook for 4-5mins, then cool until nearly set, before pouring onto cheesecake. Chill 3-4hours before serving. serves 8. Info 821kj/195kcal, CHO 12g, Fat & Fibre low

marley, Oct 7, 1:14am
Yes Please cgvl Just read a couple of messages above - I would love to have some recipes for loaves and cakes - You meant diabetic recipes aye? If so YES I would love to have some of those recipes please. thanks! !

cgvl, Oct 7, 3:02am
Chocolate Cake. 120g Margarine, 2tsp artificial sweetner, 1cup wholemeal flour, 1cup white flour, 2tsp baking powder, 3Tbsp Cocoa, 1/2tsp baking soda, 2eggs, 125g Unsweetened natural yoghurt, 3/4cup reduced fat milk. Method: Whip together the marg and sweetner. Sift the dry ingredients together. lightly beat the eggs with the yoghurt and milk. Combine all ingredients. pour into a lined cake tin and bake 30-40mins at 180C. cut into 16 pieces

cgvl, Oct 7, 3:10am
Berry Muffins This one has sugar but you could swap it for artificail sweetner, however there is very little sugar in it. Ingredients: 13/4cup flour, 21/2tsp baking powder, 1/2tsp salt, 4Tbsp sugar, 1 egg, 3/4cup milk, 45g butter/marg, 1cup berries (fresh, frozen or thawed). Method: Sift dry ingredients add sugar and mix well. stir in berries. Melt butter and add with milk and beaten egg. Stir until just mixed. Bake 200C for 20-25 mins. makes 10 -12 medium muffins. You can change the fruit for dried/fresh/canned fruit ie apricots.

cgvl, Oct 7, 3:17am
Apple Muffins Ingredients: 2cups flour, 1tsp Baking powder, 1tsp baking soda, 1cup oat bran(baking bran), 1Tbsp brown sugar, 1tsp cinnamon, 2eggs lightly beaten, 1/2cup reduced fat milk, 150g Unsweetened natural yoghurt, 1/2cup water, 567g can Apples, 1/2tsp artificial sweetner.
Method: Mix the dry ingredients together, make a well in the centre. Mix all the remaining ingredients in another bowl. Stir wet into dry. 3/4 full the muffin tins. Bake 200C for 10-15mins. Makes 18 medium. I use 2 grated fresh apples in this rather than bought apples and leave out the sweetner. You could stew some as well.

cgvl, Oct 7, 3:23am
Fruit Loaf Ingredients: 1cup Dried mixed fruit, 1cup boiling water, 2Tbsp Margarine, 1tsp baking soda, 1 egg beaten, 1/2tsp artificial sweetner, 1cup wholemeal flour, 1/2cup white flour, 1tsp cinnamon or mixed spice, 1tsp baking powder. Method: Mix the fruit, water, marg and baking soda in a bowl allow to cool. Add the egg and sweetner and mix well. Combine the dry ingredients together. Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to mix. Pour into a loaf tin and bake 35mins at 180C. Makes 15 slices

cgvl, Oct 7, 4:05am
Carrot Cake ingredients: 100mls oil, 1/3cup unsweetened natural yoghurt, 2Tbsp brown sugar, 2tsp artificial sweetner, 1tsp vanilla essence, 2 eggs, 1cup wholemeal flour, 1tsp baking soda, 1/2tsp cinnamon, 1/2tsp nutmeg, 2cups grated carrot, 1/2cup chopped walnuts. Method: Beat together the oil, yoghurt, sugar, sweetner and essence. Add the eggs and beat again. Sift the dry ingredients and fold into the wet mixture. Add the carrot and walnuts. Mix well, then pour into loaf sized tin. Bake 50-60mins @ 180C. When cool ice with the following. Cream Cheese Icing: 100g low fat cream cheese, 1tsp cornflour, 2tsp lemon juice and rind, 2tsp powdered artificial sweetner. Whisk these ingredients together and spread over cake. Slice or cut into 20 pieces. Info including Icing: energy 452kj/108kcals, CHO 6g, Fat high, Fibre moderate

whiskey13, Oct 8, 1:55am
BUMP off to work but will copy and paste when i get home to start my own diabetic recipe folder, so in the meantime please keep those recipes coming