Diabetic Baking

Page 1 / 29
lenny11, May 20, 4:20am
bump bump. .

raewyn64, May 20, 8:17am
Two questions Hi
Husband has been told he has type 2 diabetes. I do a lot of baking - mainly biscuits which I will have to change now as they have sugar in them. Can I just substitute splenda for the sugar in biscuit recipes and carry on making them as before or do I have to make other changes to the recipe?
Also regarding fruit. Does the natural sugar in fruit have any affect on the diabetes or is it just the sugar we add to fruit?
Thanks in advance - only just found out today so very new to this.

cgvl, May 20, 9:33am
Splenda is fine to add to biscuits and cakes etc but don't use as much ie 1cup splenda is a lot sweeter than 1cup sugar. If your DH doesn't eat a lot of biscuits then 1 or 2 a day made with sugar should be ok. As for fruit, fresh is best but if you need to cook some try and not add anything to it, the exception being rhubarb but add at the end. Everyone is different and make sure you go with Hubby to see a diabetic dietician and ask questions heaps of them. In reality if he has been told to watch his diet and cut out the sweet and fatty things then do so, if given pills or insulin then diet is really important.

raewyn64, May 20, 7:31pm
cgvl Thank you for that information. DH likes his biscuits so I shall try to make a batch with splenda and see how they go. Thank you for the tip about the sweetness of splenda.
DH also likes his fruit and we were worried about the natural sugar content especially at the moment with manderines and kiwi fruit which are in the shops. Also I have started bottling fruit (did some plums recently) but didn't add any sugar to them as they are sweet enough. I would bottle fruit with no extra sweetner so that should be good for us.
DH still has to see his GP to find out all the details about how bad the diabetes are and if he will have to take pills every day or not.

pancakesrus, May 21, 9:26am
Diabetic Slice Have motherinlaw coming over from aussie in 9 weeks and she is Diabetic. I would like to try some slices before she gets here. Does anyone have any good ones they would like to share that I can try.

raewyn64, May 21, 7:42pm
calculating carbs I want to work out how many carbs are in my baking so I can monitor it. My thinking is that I add up the carbs for each ingredientbased on the quantity of that ingredient and then divide the total carbs by the servings in what I am baking (eg number of biscuits). Would this give me a pretty good carb count?
Thanks

cgvl, May 21, 10:05pm
raewyn I have no idea on how to work out carbs. Natural fresh fruit should be fine but be careful with banana's not everyone can eat them without sending blood sugars through the roof. I can now only eat banana's that are just yellow once they become more yellow or start turning brown then they have too much natural sugar for me. I eat/snack on fruit quite a bit, rather fruit than biscuits or cakes. Atkins website may have something on there that tells you how to calculate carbs but I wouldn't worry too much if its for Hubby's benefit as unless he is on insulin then most type 2's are told to watch their diet and cut the sugar and fat content.

raewyn64, May 22, 8:05am
cgvl Thanks for all your help and comments/suggestions. I really appreciate them as we come to terms with what this is going to mean for us.

cgvl, May 23, 2:54am
hi pancakesrus I have had a hunt through my recipe books and to be honest I don't have any recipes for slices. Only suggestion I can make would be to make a slice base which uses rolled oats in its mix and maybe try using splenda instead of sugar and use marg for butter. then maybe a mix of dried fruits which have been soaked in pure orange juice or appple juice and some spices. then spread onto the base and either top with more of the base or use a crumble type of toppiing and bake. Be careful with how much granulated sugar substitute you use as it tends to be sweeter than sugar.

raewyn64, May 23, 3:35am
pancakesrus I just bought Diabetic Living magazine yesterday and it has a recipe for Nutty Carrot Slice with Yoghurt frosting.
115g plain flour; 40g wholemeal plain flour; 115g caster sugar or equivalent granulated sugar substitute; 1. 5 tsp mixed spice; 1tsp baking powder; 130g finely grated carrot; 3 eggwhites (from 50g eggs) lightly whisked; 60g 50% fat-reduced spread, melted, cooled; 60ml skim milk; 80g chopped walnuts or pecans, toasted.
Yoghurt frosting
125g extra light cream cheese; 130g low fat vanilla yoghurt.

Preheat oven to 160oC (fan forced). Spray an 18cm x 28cm rectangular slab pan with cooking spray. Line base and sides with baking paper, allowing the paper to overhang the sides. Set aside.
cont

raewyn64, May 23, 3:36am
part 2 Put the flours, sugar, mixed spice and baking powder in a medium bowl. Stir well. Stir in the carrot, eggwhites, spread, milk and half of the nuts. Mix until well combined. Spoon into the pan and spread out evenly.
Bake for 15 –18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 10 minutes to cool. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Yoghurt frosting – using electric beaters, beat the cram cheese in a small bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in the yoghurt on a low speed.
Spread frosting over the slice and sprinkle with the remaining nuts. Cut into pieces to serve.

Serves 18.

I haven't tried it - just found it and thought it might help you.

pancakesrus, May 23, 9:24am
Thanks Guys will try both of them this week. In the mean time I am about to try a 130 year old Pancake recipe that goes back to my great great great grandmother. Say they ment to be light and fluffy goess i will know soon

raewyn64, May 24, 2:57am
Pancakesrus Let me know how you go with that carrot slice and I might give it a try. It sounded quite yummy.

earthangel4, May 28, 2:33am
Raewyn I made that slice and left the sugar out, it turned out perfect, dh loved it, thanks for that

raewyn64, May 28, 3:09am
excellent thanks Earthangel I shall give it a go myself on my next baking session.
Thanks for letting me know.

pancakesrus, May 29, 7:41am
130 year old pancakes that I made with a Equel INGREDIENTS
190 g all-purpose flour
10 g baking powder
6 g salt
10 g granulated sugar substitute
295 ml milk
1 egg
45 g butter, melted

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, egg and melted butter; mix until smooth.
Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot. I double the mix as they are so yummy

cgvl, Jun 1, 5:19am
they sound really yummy might have to make some for dinner tonight

raewyn64, Jun 3, 8:41pm
bump back on to page 1

earthangel4, Jun 6, 9:35pm
yep bumping up this awesome thread

ange164, Jun 9, 12:22am
bump for tarsh .

pancakesrus, Jun 10, 4:18am
... . bump

raewyn64, Jun 15, 1:32am
Chicken breasts I have some chicken breasts for dinner tonight, DH can't eat anything tomorrow (op on Wednesday and has to have empty insides) so I want to make something really nice for tonight.
Any suggestions please?
Thanks muchly again.

cgvl, Jun 15, 10:01am
oops sorry raewyn just came on and saw your post. I would have maybe poached them in white wine and herbs. I hope whatever you made it was lovely.

raewyn64, Jun 16, 2:10am
cgvl No problem - it just required me to use a bit of imagination and cobble something together from several recipes.
So ended up with chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces and browned in pan. Then put it into casserole dish. Bought a couple of ham steaks and cut them up and threw them in as well for some additional flavour. then diced onion in frypan with some garlic, then added a tin of chicken soup and chicken stock and some herbs. Got that up to boil then transfered it into the casserole dish with the meat plus a couple of mushrooms for DH (I keep them whole as I don't like them and this way I can find them when dishing up ha ha). Then into oven for about hour aqnd half, put in a bit of cornflour later to thicken. Then threw in some sweetcorn kernels and peas at the end. Came out really nice, probably if I did it again wouldn't add chicken stock as a bit too much chicken flavours with the soup and stock. So probably would use water and a little white wine. And then served it on some basmati rice.

cgvl, Jun 16, 2:43am
sounds nice. Love the idea about leaving mushrooms whole. Hubby can't stand them and I love them so when I want mushrooms in a casserole I have two small dishes his meal in one and mine with the extra's into another.