Apple Pie Pastry

Page 2 / 2
guest, Jun 15, 2:51am
I never use granny smiths for apple pie,I keep them for apple sauce because they just go to mush. I always use a sweet apple like golden delicious or fugi as they hold their shape when cooked. Sweet apples also don't need much sugar added.I also had my American friends give me cheese with a slice of their apple pie. The apples were laid in raw and layered with a flour, sugar, cinnamon mixture before cooking. Great Pie

ogden, Jul 31, 3:32am
Have just made this pastry, quick & easy is in the fridge chilling... .

horizons_, Jul 31, 4:03am
Could cook the pie shell blind first, then add the apple and top. Should work.

wron, Jul 31, 4:38am
Can you use Olivio or similar instead of butter? Thanks (from a male so can't be called the "b" word! )

socram, Jul 31, 4:52am
I haven't read the whole thread but:

Granny Smiths to me are an eating apple. The best apple pies are made with cooking apples which tend to be a bit sour, until sweetened with golden syrup and they mush down well when stewed.

My dear old Mum's apple pie was to die for. Stewed the apples first and allow to cool. Just a normal shortcrust pastry made with 50% lard, 50% butter. (Margarine would be a definite second choice... )

Paint the pie pastry base with lemon curd/lemon cheese before adding the cooked apples. Paint crust with beaten egg & milk and dust with caster sugar.

Never ever had a pie with a soggy base using that method.

Not sure that you can even get proper cooking apples here but apple sauce for the roast pork was always done with cooking apples and no added sugar. Bring back the Bramley apple!

wron, Jul 31, 4:59am
Most orchards in west Auckland ripped out their cookers years ago - bet they wish they hadn't. There's one, Borich, on Highway 16 that has Sturmers and another variety when in season - twice the price of the common Galas! ! ! !

nauru, Jul 31, 6:24am
Yes, I use olivio and other margarines for baking and it always turns out fine.

wron, Jul 31, 7:44am
Thanks! Yes I realise nothing tastes as nice as butter but my wife has a high cholesteral reading so we only use it every now and then, mainly at Christmas in mince pies etc

bunny51, Dec 14, 7:00am
My grandmother used to like apples and cheese together. ALso cheese with christmas cake was always popular. (and yes we are from Yorkshire