Vegetables - I need some inspiration ...

Page 1 / 3
sarahb5, May 12, 10:11pm
I am so sick of eating broccoli every night just because I know my kids will eat it. During the summer they eat loads of fresh vegetables because I make a huge salad every night that has loads of variety but I just don't seem to be able to get them to eat that much variety in winter and I don't want to go back to doing the big salad because I feel they need something warm to eat at night.

I thought tonight I would do a homestyle version of ratatouille with just basically tomato, garlic, zucchini, onion and capsicum (hubby doesn't like eggplant and its too hard to disquise) to go with our baked chicken. Any other suggestions?

chris313, May 12, 10:21pm
Crumbed Cauli. I make it as easy as possible - cut cauli into florets, dust with flour, dip in beaten egg then breadcrumbs. Then place on a roasting dish, spray lightly with oil and bake until tender. Serve with chesse or hollandaise sauce. Very yummy!

sarahb5, May 12, 10:23pm
Sorry but I don't think that will work - they won't eat cauli - I suppose I could try it with something else though

ruby19, May 12, 10:35pm
Pea puree is a treat in our house, just whizz up some cooked peas with a little butter and creme fraiche. Carrots roasted in a little orange juice with a sprinkle of cumin, thenjust towards the end throw in a little garlic to cook. You can then crumble some feta over. Mash potatoes, just add in other veggies when cooking potatoes, ie kumara, pumpkin onion, and mash as normal. Another thing I found is when cooking veggies for kids generally they like them alot softer then we probably do. Roast cauliflower sweetens up. Why not try making tempura veggies first so they get accustomed to their flavours. They do say kids have to try things about 10 times before they like them, and usually it is much easier for them to say I don`t like something, then work out if you do!

3jtrader, May 12, 10:40pm
How about a big thick vege soup? You can put almost any vegetable in the pot with some soup mix and a handful of rice; and for a complete meal add some chunks of beef or chicken to it as well. Perfect for this cold weather.

margyr, May 12, 10:50pm
i layer potato, onion, cheese, carrot, pumpkin, kumera, more cheese, potato, onion, depends how many vege i have as to how many layers, grease casserole dish first, then put cheese on top and pour milk in till it is about 3. 4's of the way up the vege, then bake in oven at 150 till cooked, let it stand for about 10 mins before serving, most if not all of the milk will have been absorbed by the vege. This is about the only way i can get a variety of vege into my husband, oh and of course vege soup.

margyr, May 12, 11:01pm
or cube a whole of different vege and roast them with some garlic, then in a cake tin one of those spring sided ones, put a tortilla then a layer of your vege, some chopped silverbeet or spinach, mushrooms if you like them, some tinned tomatoes and a layer of cheese sauce, then another tortilla and build until cake tin nice and full, you can alternate your layers of vege with a layer of mince (done like spag bog mince). Leave in the tin tool cool, remove and refrigerate and then slice and heat in microwave. You can use it from hot in the oven but does not stay together as nice.

margyr, May 12, 11:05pm
also if you use the search box on the left and type in vegetables and then in the date posted box click on the little arrow and then on anytime and then click search there is loads of inspiration there.

sarahb5, May 13, 1:10am
We have an eat it or starve policy in our house though - its just that I've become rather "set in my ways" as far as veggies are concerned. The boys are 15 and 12 so I think they are well beyond the age where I should "pander" to their whims as to whether or not they will eat something. When they were younger (ie. pre-schoolers) they would eat any vegetable I put in front of them virtually - I think they, and I, have just got a bit lazy and gone for convenience especially since I don't have much time to cook when I get home from work. Anyway, off to the supermarket now and see if I can find some inspiration there - might start with some flavoured tomatoes chopped tomatoes and work from there.

vix.tribe, Sep 5, 11:59pm
Forgive me if this is a stupid question....

the roasted carrots above sound devine! Do you chop them up or roast them whole. And is any kind of orange juice ok? (I'm assuming real orange juice?) How long do they take?

ruby19, Sep 6, 12:16am
Hi vix, I just cut the carrots into batons, and squeezed some juice from an orange, from memory ( I haven`t made them for a while) I probably cooked them for 10 15 min, you want them softened not crunchy.They were lovely though, I must make them again!

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 12:23am
I never thought of squeezing an orange! LOL

They sound divine. I'm trying to get out of a rut with our dinners, and I really like carrots but my partner hates them. He'll eat baby carrots though, so I'm picking if I jazz things up a bit he might be keen.

sara134, Sep 6, 12:29am
Chris313 that crumbed cauli sounds yummy!Will have to try! :)

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 12:31am
Me too. :-)

cookessentials, Sep 6, 12:57am
Roasted Pumpkin & Potato With Sea Salt, Shaved Garlic & Fresh Rosemary

750g pumpkin
750g potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaves
2 teaspoons sea salt

NOTE: This recipe is best made close to serving.

Preheat the oven to hot (220°C).

Cut pumpkin and potato into 3cm cubes. Combine pumpkin, potato, oil and garlic in large baking dish. Cook in hot oven for 1 hour or until vegetables are browned and tender. Stir through the rosemary; sprinkle with salt.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 12:59am
Pumpkin Sticks With Bacon & Cumin

750g butternut pumpkin
30g butter
3 bacon rashers, finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin

Cut pumpkin into short lengths, boil or steam until just tender, drain, place into iced water to cool, drain again. Melt butter in pan, add bacon, cook stirring until bacon is crisp. Add cumin and pumpkin to pan, stir-fry until heated through.

To microwave: Place pumpkin in shallow dish, add 1/4 cup water, cover, cook on HIGH 6 minutes or until pumpkin is tender, drain, place into iced water, drain. Combine butter and bacon in shallow dish, cook on HIGH 4 minutes or until bacon is crisp; add cumin and pumpkin, cook on HIGH 4 minutes or until heated through

ruby19, Sep 6, 1:57am
Vix my family loves roast carrots, as I think they become sweeter. We started roasting them to get the kids to eat carrots, as Idon`t particularlylike "boiled" carrots.

vix.tribe, Sep 6, 2:13am
cookessentials... you're making me drool in my keyboard! lol

I see quite a lot of recipes using bacon, does it add a lot to a dish calorie wise?We love bacon in this house, eggs benedict is a once in a while treat though because of the bacon.

cookessentials, Sep 6, 3:10am
probably a little, but it is not like you are eating it all the time. i think it adds a lovely taste. I must admit, I often use pancetta - especially in my Beef Burguignon and it gives an amazing taste.

lythande1, Sep 6, 3:49am
Hot vege salads. Like mediterrean veges and such.
And cauli, I make a chicken and cauli gougere.
LAyer a dish with your chicken, cauli mix, basically just cooked chickem cooked cauli in a mushroom sauce. And round the sides of the dish the gougere mix.
* 1 cup hot water
* 1/2 cup butter
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon sugar
* 1 cup flour
* 4 eggs (approximately)
* 2/3 cup grated Gruyère cheese
* 1 teaspoon dry mustard

Combine the water, butter, salt and sugar and heat until the butter is melted. Add the flour and stir vigorously with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a firm ball and breaks away from the edges of the pan. Remove the dough from the pan and beat in the eggs, one by one. If the eggs are very large, you may not need 4, if they are small, you may need more. Use enough to make the pâte à choux firm, smooth and waxy.

Add the cheese, mustard to the pâte à choux and blend thoroughly.

sara134, Sep 11, 5:04am
ruffle how long to bake? 30 mins?

greerg, Sep 11, 6:11am
Everyone here recently changed views on Brussels sprouts = - great stirfried with a little bacon or with grated ginger.

motorbo, Sep 11, 6:16am
sometimes its how you serve it, so take the broccoli and blanch it with maybe some fresh beans (my vege shop sells fresh round beans at a good price) and you dont need many but make your salad a combination of blanched vege and roasted vege with a nice dressing, i had thai beef salad for dinner the other night and added blanced vege to the lettcue it was delish!!!if the dont like cauli try them with it raw with a dip, or puree with curry powder - alot of yummy indian ways with vege too you can even make an indian style batter and add your vege and fry

cookessentials, Sep 11, 6:33am
I have started a "vegetables" thread so if you have any great recipes, can you pop them in there too?

poppy62, Sep 11, 9:23am
I like spiced roast pumpkin.Bake off some pumpkin - half way through cooking, brush a mixture of honey, cinnamon, nutmeg and cardamon onto them and bake till cooked through.It was the only way I could get my kids to eat pumpkin at one stage.