Great food ideas for getting vegetables into toddl

tigger36, Aug 22, 3:01am
toddlers. All would be welcome:-)

lyingnun, Aug 22, 4:27am
I find the grandchildren love my mince, pasta and tomato recipes and I grate mushrooms and carrots and can hide all sorts of veges in it - onions, leeks, pumpkin and they wolf it down.
I always offer them raw carrots too which they love. My own kids only ever ate peas, carrots, mashed potato and corn. They got all their nutrients from a healthy diet and lots of fresh fruit.

angel361, Aug 22, 4:43am
Grate veges i.e. carrot, zuchinni into spag bol and or lasagne. They cant see it. Apparently there is a really good chocolate cake recipe that uses zuchinni's. Hope this helps :)

angel361, Aug 22, 4:45am
Home made pizzas - with the toddler helping and add veges, apparently when they help themselves there is a greater chance of them eating it. I spose you could use that recipe for chocolate/zuchinni cake for muffins as well. Have heard people use beetroot in baking as well. Also you can do mushrooms in the Tupperware chopper chopper if you have one. It makes them really small.

punkinthefirst, Aug 22, 5:51am
Let them "help" to prepare meals.
Don't insist on the use of cutlery - let the child pick up chunky food in their fingers and feed themselves. Table manners will come along later.
Offer food lots of times and make no fuss about uneaten food. Eventually, they'll try it.
Offer small meals - you can always give them more. Don't feed them between meals (and that includes juice and milk). though small children might need more meals than our usual three or so.
Relax. They won't normally starve themselves to death!

rainrain1, Aug 22, 6:01am
Frozen peas in a plastic mug, kids love eating those

wendalls, Aug 22, 6:15am
I have to say that not all kids " can't see it" when you hide grated veg in things. Two of mine pick it out a mile away. Suspiciously asking what the green stuff is? After they realise, they are just not keen. It does not matter that it tastes delicious to others.

rainrain1, Aug 22, 6:18am
Not easy at all, getting them to eat their vegetables, they don't miss a trick

rosiemoodle, Aug 22, 6:24am
Pumpkin muffins

ruby19, Aug 22, 9:07pm
We used to put little bowls of shredded lettuce, grated carrot and cheese etc and let the kids make their own wraps. I think kids seem to like either raw veggies or if cooked I found they liked them quite soft. Especially in cheese sauce.

baalamb, Aug 22, 10:51pm
A friend of mine used to make pizzas for a 'treat' - little did the kids know they ate more veges in those than on other nights. Base was made from pureed cauliflower, pasta sauce had a mixture of pureed veges added to it, as well as adding all the kids favourite veges as toppings! Kids thought they were far better than bought ones and mum knew they were eating plenty of veges. Everyone wins!

nauru, Dec 11, 9:49am
This is the recipe that I always use for a Chocolate Zucchini Cake, lovely and moist, very like a mud cake and so easy as made in the MW. I have also made the recipe into muffins too.
125g butter
3/4 cup sugar
11/2 cups grated zucchini
2 eggs
1/2 teasp each cinnamon & mixed spice
1/2 cup choc chips
3/4 cup cocoa
11/2 cups SR flour
1/4 cup plain yoghurt

Cream butter & sugar, add eggs one at a time and beat in between each egg. Add spices, zucchini, choc chips & yoghurt & mix well. Add cocoa and flour and mix. Put mixture into a prepared microwave cake pan. Bake in microwave on high for 8 minutes. Stand 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.