MKR Kitchen Gadget Question

akl439, Feb 27, 8:01am
On last night's programme the girls made a salad to go with their Miso Cod. They were cutting the cabbage with some sort of gadget that was slicing it really thinly and looked like a potato peeler or similar. Any ideas on what that was please? I can never seem to slice cabbage thin enough for cole slaw and what they did looked perfect.

unknowndisorder, Feb 27, 8:13am
Pretty sure it was just a julienne peeler.

akl439, Feb 27, 8:14am
Thanks for that - looked easier than doing it with a knife.

unknowndisorder, Feb 27, 8:18am
I generally just listen to the programme, and am watching tonight's at the moment, so thought it might have been a question I could watch out for.

I knew it would be early on in last night's fiasco and got DH to confirm with me what I thought it was.

I had a mandolin once but didn't get on with it and would not be allowed to buy another as DH hates them, so yes, would be a good idea to try :)

akl439, Feb 27, 8:23am
Seen too many accidents with mandolins. Nail and finger with your cole slaw sir?

unknowndisorder, Feb 27, 8:26am
That is what worries him, and me being unco. When gardening I always cut myself on the tools, kitchen I have a steelish glove, but . Lol

smallwoods, Feb 27, 9:05am
Should only do that once?
I did, now use it carefully.

timturtle, Feb 27, 9:44am

marcs, Feb 27, 11:56am
it was a julienne peeler. You can get them in zyliss or oxo brands but there are other brands out there too. They are brilliant.

cottagerose, Feb 28, 3:53am
I've bought large peelers on aliexpress. Very cheap, like $2 with free shipping. They work great. I've tried to put a photo up for you but had problems doing so

eljayv, Feb 28, 8:35pm
I’ve ordered a couple too hope it same as the one you are so happy with . Looks same as one in post 8.

rainrain1, Feb 28, 8:59pm
That peeler did look good. I'd like to know the coleslaw recipe.

jan2242, Feb 28, 9:56pm
They look like you have to cut a flat side first? I have a very old zyliss that is only used for coleslaw, it's brilliant and sometimes seen for sale here. Photo here https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-11250-Nut-Vegetable-Grater/dp/B00008TA53

cottagerose, Mar 1, 6:31am
Yes it is and I only paid about $3.
I use on a large copping board as it does make a bit of a mess but cuts very fine. I've bought for my friends too and they like them

akl439, Mar 2, 8:09am
That looks like it! Yay. Must get me one. Thank you.

akl439, Oct 18, 11:19pm
Thanks for your help everyone. Here is the cole slaw recipe from the programme
https://au.tv.yahoo.com/shows/my-kitchen-rules/recipes/r/38845915/stella-jazzeys-miso-cod/