Old fashioned christmas pudding

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 5, 1:58am
Ive been using the same recipe for a long time, just not the last few years, it calls for suet but that was unavailable so I used to use shreddo now thats unavailable, what can I use instead. Or if someone has a great recipe, mine makes 2 and steams for 6 hours then another 2 on the day

suzanna, Nov 5, 2:20am
I have used this one and it went down well with the 'conservatives'.
Ingredients
250 g butter chopped
1 cup brown sugar
4 egg
750 g mixed fruit
1/2 cup pitted prune chopped
3/4 cup dates chopped
1 cup brandy
1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
1 cup icing sugar *to serve

Ads by Kiosked
Method
STEP 1 Beat butter and sugar until light and creamy.
STEP 2 Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
STEP 3 Add fruit, brandy, sifted dry ingredients, almonds and breadcrumbs. Mix well.
STEP 4 Spoon mixture into a greased 8-cup capacity pudding basin. Cover basin with baking paper, secure tightly with string. Cover with foil and basin lid.
STEP 5 Place pudding in a large pan with enough boiling water to come halfway up the side of the basin. Cover pan, simmer for 6 hours making sure water level remains constant by adding more boiling water as necessary.
STEP 6 Remove pudding from water, and allow to cool. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
STEP 7 On day of serving, re-boil pudding as above for 2½ hours. Turn out onto a serving platter and dust with icing sugar.

suzanna, Nov 5, 2:29am
This is a random Christmas Brownie recipe that I was given by a friend who found it online whilst searching Brownie recipes. It is absolutely a delicious treat. make. package. -
. give away before you eat the lot!
Ingredients
250 g butter
125 g cocoa powder
5 egg lightly beaten
500 g caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tbs rum
100 g plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
70 g pecans toasted chopped
50 g dried apricots chopped
50 g dried figs chopped
50 g pitted dates chopped
50 g glace cherries chopped

Method
STEP 1 In a large bowl combine butter and cocoa. Add eggs, sugar, vanilla and rum.
STEP 2 Sift in flour and baking powder. Fold in nuts and dried fruits.
STEP 3 Spoon mix into a large lined baking tray 40 cm x 27 cm.
STEP 4 Bake 1 hour at 150C but do not overcook.
STEP 5 Allow to cool, cut into squares and dust with icing sugar.

buzzy110, Nov 5, 2:43am
suzanna - is the butter melted?

dreamers, Nov 5, 2:43am
Have you tried asking a butcher? I got some last year from the local butcher and the rest is now in the freezer for this year.

snapperheadrkp, Nov 5, 3:01am
Vegetable Suet imported from the UK (i.e.made from cooking oil) is available at Countdown $6.29 for 200 gms (not cheap BUT)

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 5, 4:12am
no I havent but will tomorrow.

kiwiscrapper1, Nov 5, 4:15am
This is very much like the one I have so if I cant fine suet I will use this one minus
the prunes

coolnzmum, Nov 5, 4:27am
I got some from Mad Butcher couple of years ago. Just give them a call and ask and they will probably save some for you.

suzanna, Nov 5, 8:25am
Yes I did melt it Buzzy as my go to Brownie recipe 'melts butter and chocolate together' so this is what I did.

petal1955, Nov 5, 8:37pm
Do you want a recipe for a boiled in the cloth pudding or a basin?. Have my grandmother's boiled in a cloth one. absolutely delicious

teddiesbearall, Nov 5, 10:07pm
It is available from Countdown supermarkets. Goes under the name of Atora. Shredded suet for fluffy dumpling, pastries, puddings & pies. $6.29 for 200 grams.

punkinthefirst, Dec 6, 4:12pm
Suet is the white hard fat from round an animal's kidneys. Your butcher should be able to supply it. Remove the skin from it and grate it or chop finely before you use it. mix with a little of the flour from the recipe to keep the grated bits separate.