Bean salad from Boys & Girls Rally Recipe Book

aaliyah19, Nov 21, 6:48am
Hi I used to have this cookbook for years and made the bean salad recipe to rave reviews.
I just need help with the ingredients in the dressing which was boiled then left to cool.
From memory it contained vinegar, oil, sugar, salt and water?
Many thanks

veejay13, Nov 21, 7:01am
Dressing - Boil:
1 1/2 cups vinegar, 1/2 cup water, 2 dessertspoons vegetable oil,1 1/2 cups sugar, 2 teaspoons salt.
Cool and pour over bean mixture. (If you find the dressing does not cover all of the beans, mix up an extra half quantity and pour over). Refrigerate overnight before use.

Is this what you need aliyah19?

aaliyah19, Nov 21, 7:17am
Yes. I think it is. You are awesome.
Thank you

pickles7, Nov 21, 10:50pm
Bean salad
I buy cans of cooked beans for this. I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.

Dressing.
Simmer,
1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

slimgym, Nov 22, 2:23pm
um could we please have the whole recipe

veejay13, Nov 22, 7:58pm
Okay. Please note I have not made this myself - it is in response to OP's request, and I've copied it straight from Rally Cookbook No. 1, my copy printed in 1992.

500g mixed dried beans (soaked in water overnight): boil three-quarters hour; drain and cool.
500 gr. green beans (cook, drain, and cool).
3 Stalks celery, chopped.
3 finely chopped onions
2 tins Whole Kernel Corn, drained.
Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

Dressing - Boil
1 1/2 cups vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
2 teasp salt
2 dessertspoons vegetable oil
Cool and pour over bean mixture. (If you find the dressing does not cover the beans mix up an extra half quantity and pour over). Refrigerate overnight before use. Keeps well in Fridge and also freezes well.

Variations: -
Replace 1 tin corn with 1 cup cauliflower tips (may be blanched).
Add 1 teaspoon of Garamnafala to dressing. Adjust seasoning to suit.
Add grated carrot, sliced green or red peppers, parsley, mint or thyme.

The above salad is delicious and can be served with any main course meal, hot or cold or with a savoury entree.

jbsouthland, Nov 22, 9:35pm
Yum !

uli, Nov 22, 10:11pm
Wow - that is a seriously sweet recipe. 1 1/2 cups vinegar and 1 1/2 cups sugar would nearly make jam if you let it settle long enough :)
Has anyone tried it yet?

davidt4, Nov 22, 10:53pm
That entire recipe actually looks fairly dodgy. Dried beans, no matter how well soaked, will take longer than 3/4 hour to cook properly; surely the quantity of sugar is a typo; "Garamnafala" is either a very obscure ingredient that I don't know, or a typo for "garam masala".

veejay13, Nov 23, 12:16am
If you read OP's post, you'll see she's made it to "rave reviews"

veejay13, Nov 23, 12:23am
As I said at the start of the recipe, I haven't made it, but have copied it from the Rally Book at the request of a previous poster.
The amount of sugar certainly isn't my typo - it definitely says 1 1/2 cups.
As to the Garamnafala - I have no idea what it is - wondered if it was something some of you good cooks might have heard of. This is a NZ book, BTW, so must be an ingredient available here, I suppose. As a matter of interest, the recipe was subitted (for the Rally Book) by Ruth Rowe of Orewa.

rainrain1, Nov 23, 12:58am
hee hee

aaliyah19, Nov 23, 7:46am
This is a delicious salad. I add corn, grated carrot, celery, cauli or brocolli etc but I agree it is too sweet and I do reduce the sugar by 1/2 a cup.
I am a professional chef, and Foods teacher. Every response when I make this is that it is similar to the KFC version.
Soaking the beans over night, then draining off the water and rinsing does mean that the beans cook in approx 45 minutes. As soon as they start floating to the surface and the skin begins to busrt on the first few is my indication they are ready.

uli, Nov 23, 10:04pm
Sorry I didn't realize you had the exactly same cookbook and copied it out that. There have been quite a few boiled salad dressings around on the boards over the years.

uli, Dec 1, 1:57am
I thought Garam Masala too once I tried to pronounce it out loud.