Cofee bean question

taniajane, Dec 13, 9:17pm
Hi All.
My father is a coffee fan and has just bought himself a little machine thingy that looks like it belong in a victorian railway station! with knobs and leavers and the such.
I am putting together a coffee hamper for him for christmas, ive found a grinder as i know he wants one and im baking some shortbread and i would like to add a couple of different coffee beans from different companys to he can try a few different kinds.i have found plenty but im confused about the roast/strength.All i know is that he quite enjoys the wild bean coffee from BP so what would that translate into?
i hope you can help!

rovertniloc, Dec 13, 9:24pm
I f he loves BP coffee, you are safe. They actually sell their own beans. The stand is usually quite close to the counter. Dont buy him beans already ground. As you have bought a grinder, let him just grind a few daily, to keep his coffee fresh. I always buy mine there. although I have never made a coffee as good as theirs. Another nice thing to add is chocolate covered coffee beans. A real treat.Good luck.

meegs35, Dec 13, 9:26pm
He might like Roasted Addiction beans. I use the dark blend and they are really good and make a great espresso. Other good brands are Allpress followed by some of the organic/free trade brands at the supermarket. I would avoid Robert Harris and also I didn't much like Gravity as I find tem a bit insipid for my taste. It all boils down to personal preference. I tried all the different ones until I found my favourites.

taniajane, Dec 13, 9:31pm
Thanks Meegs and thats what im trying to do is give him several to try, its just they come in light, medium, dark and everything inbetween!Im sure i will be coffee literate shortly though!
I will stop in at BP and pop one of those in the hamper, thanks rovertniloc.

brokenbutterfly, Dec 14, 2:57am
taniajane I see you are in Rotorua. I work at Starbucks in town, we also have a really nice selection of coffees, my favourite is Verona, lovlie rich coffee that goes perfect with chocolate, or Kenya which is a nice bright coffee perfect for a morning wake up and is great with things like Lemon Cake to enhance the brightness of the coffee.
Feel free to pop in and see me if you need any ideas, ask for Kelz, I will be there over the weekend :)

taniajane, Dec 14, 4:22am
@brokenbutterfly.Thanks!I will stop by for a look.I had forgotten Vegas had one. The Kenya sounds like his type.

djm77, Dec 14, 4:42am
my fav is pohutukawa blend from The Bean in Whakatane

or coffee lala from up here in the Coromandel

djm77, Dec 14, 4:43am
no offence, but starbucks coffee is a bit shyte if you're a real coffee drinker.

brokenbutterfly, Dec 14, 5:04am
no offence taken, we all have our own tastes and if thats how you feel thats all good lol and thats from a "real" coffee drinker like myself

brokenbutterfly, Dec 14, 5:06am
I have to agree with the pohutukawa blend, it is quite nice... hhmmm time for a trip to Whakatane I think :)

sjordan, Dec 14, 6:57am
We have a fantastic shop here in Hamilton that sells coffee beans. Rotorua may have one too

unknowndisorder, Oct 31, 5:07pm
Our favourite is Signature Range beans. Tried others, not to our taste, it really is a preference thing. The Sr beans have a high turnover, so are fresh, that may be the difference. Don't know, but keep seeing if I can find another brand as well, or instead.

Maybe should head to Whakatane over xmas and see what we think of their stuff (and visit a friend).