The Forgotten Vegetable.

Page 1 / 2
dibble35, Feb 10, 12:23am
Forgotten veges - choko must be one of them as well. I love choko soup etc, If they didnt take up so much room in the garden i'd grow a vine myself. They do sometimes appear at the local markets when they are in season, so I still get to eat them occasionally.

fruitbat, Feb 10, 12:47am
Mashed young Swedes with butter. YUM

samanya, Feb 10, 2:00am
A good Southland swede after a frost makes delicious soup. I use Alison Holst's recipe & it has bacon in it.

rainrain1, Feb 10, 6:06am
You must waste a lot of food, Wild Pork and now marrow. are you a pom?

norse_westie, Feb 10, 8:01am
Oh dear god I was fed that as a child and have never forgotten the vileness of it.

ritebuy, Feb 10, 8:19am
my choko vine is away again this year cant wait .

princessboo2, Feb 10, 9:07am
ALL. vegetables should be forgotten!

kaddiew, Feb 10, 10:02am
Marrow - the stuff of childhood nightmares for me.

morticia, Feb 10, 10:09am
Our world is full of good belly filling food and no-one has to eat what they don't particularly like. No food has a value any greater than what people will enjoy eating and marrow, whilst streets ahead of Brussel sprouts, is still very high on the "Why the hell would you" list. I tried to turn the kids onto spaghetti squash last year, but failed and there are few meals utilising mince that I would eat and sure as hell not one stuffing a crappy marrow.

amasser, Feb 11, 2:20am
Swedes, turnips, leeks - inhumane punishment or child abuse?

dibble35, Feb 11, 3:47am
Mum didnt make us eat any of those you mentioned other than occasionally leeks in white sauce. But we were subject to child abuse as she made us eat Brussell sprouts - disgusting things, blerk!

samanya, Feb 11, 5:56am
It was child abuse as far as I was concerned, when I was a kid, I didn't know about 'child abuse' back then, but funnily enough I like them all now.
I'm convinced that it was the way they were cooked that put me right off eating them.

morticia, Feb 11, 6:03am
Still can't make me, so there.

karlymouse, Feb 11, 10:25am
Agree. Ken agrees on coro. he always hated Deidre's marrow. and remember Welcome Back Cotter he always hated the tuna casserole .

mothergoose_nz, Feb 12, 11:06pm
Marrow is so handy. It takes on other flavours. Handy as a jam extender. Preserved as lemon honey without eggs. There are more recipes

samanya, Feb 12, 11:47pm
Ya won't get any dessert until you've eaten it!
ps. I wouldn't eat it either . not even that keen on cooked courgettes either, unless they are grated into a slice with plenty of flavouring, but I do like it raw.

gertie, Feb 13, 2:33am
OMG! My darling mum used to do marrow in white sauce! Blerk :0p, I hated it as a kid & haven't been able to face it forever! I like the sound of stuffed marrow though. My clients give them to me & I split the & give to my chooks. they love them! Hehe

uli, Feb 18, 9:01pm
I feed my overgrown courgettes to the pigs if I have too many. Or grate them into a frittata or stew.

uli, Feb 18, 9:04pm
Yes it is too warm here in summer, but in winter they should produce lovely shoots. When did you try to force them? I haven't done whitloof, as it takes up space all summer, but I grow radiccio and that doesn't need to be forced it does everything by itself right there in the garden.

fruitbat, Feb 18, 9:06pm
I've made soup also. I will check out Alison's recipe.

davidt4, Feb 18, 9:07pm
I can't remember the time of year, it was several years ago now. I agree, radicchio is easy, and lovely when grilled and dressed with blue cheese, golden raisins and a vinaigrette.

uli, Feb 23, 5:59am
Do try it just in a salad davidt4! No cooking required at all.

I know the Dutch cook even endive in a cheese sauce, but it is so much nicer (I think) with just a vinegraitte and lots of garlic raw.

Is the spelling of vinegraitte wrong or is the spellchecker wrong?

kaiser2, May 3, 9:53pm
The humble marrow. I haven't seen one at a shop for several years. I liked slicing them into sections, removing the seeds and replacing them with a mix of mince, sausage meat and herbs. Baked slowly in the oven they were a taste sensation!. Next year I must grown my own.

davidt4, May 3, 10:00pm
Just put in a zucchini plant and forget about it - you'll have plenty of marrows.

245sam, May 3, 10:04pm
kaiser2 we also enjoy marrow but I don't recall when we actually bought one. My DH grows courgettes/zucchinis and sometimes if we're away or for whatever reason don't keep an eye on the plants everyday, before we know it we have marrows so this is how we particularly enjoy using it/them.

SAVOURY STUFFED MARROW
1 medium-sized vegetable marrow
1 tbsp dripping or oil
1 onion, chopped
340g minced beef
5 tsp flour
150ml beef stock
2 or 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
salt and pepper
1 tsp vinegar
50g-60g each of fresh breadcrumbs and grated cheese
Trim off the ends of the marrow, halve it lengthways and scoop out the seeds. If the marrow is too long for your largest saucepan, halve each section across the middle. Put the marrow halves/pieces into boiling salted water and cook them for about 15 minutes until just tender. Drain carefully and as thoroughly as possible – I tip the pieces upside down on to paper towels and allow them to drain that way, then turn them over and fill the hollows with more paper towels.
Meanwhile heat the dripping or oil in a saucepan and fry the onion until it is beginning to brown. Add the minced beef and stir it over the heat until it is browned. Mix in the flour, stock, tomatoes, seasoning and vinegar. Simmer on a very low heat for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally – it should be a very thick mixture - if necessary, stir in some of the breadcrumbs.
Place the marrow halves/pieces in a baking dish, making sure that they sit upright. Fill the marrow hollows with the mince filling. Mix the breadcrumbs and cheese together and sprinkle this topping over the mince filling. Pour a little water around the marrow halves/pieces, then cover the dish loosely with foil.
Bake at 190°C for 20-30 minutes until heated through – it may be necessary to remove the foil for the last few minutes to allow the breadcrumb/cheese topping to crispen. :-))