The Forgotten Vegetable.

Page 2 / 2
kaiser2, May 3, 10:07pm
I will be in a position to do just that this next spring.

wasgonna, May 3, 10:24pm
Stuffed marrow . one of the many things we grew up with. Parents had very little so the ole fella made sure the marrow and other veges were the mainstay of his garden. Mum was the wizz making everything edible. Six years of war and 14 yrs of rations in the old country certainly made them very good at what they did.

fifie, May 3, 11:44pm
Oh the marrow, we to leave couple of zucchini alone to grow bigger. .Big marrow I cut in rings or in half, take out centre stuff with mince rice herbs etc , some grated cheese dash chilli sauce on top last 10 mins of baking, Mr loves it.

lythande1, May 4, 12:36am
Love zucchinis, fat, firm and tasty.
Marrow, soggy, seedy and fit only for the compost bin.

buzzy110, May 4, 1:09am
Kumi kumi is another forgotten (probably never known about really) vegetable. It is similar to a marrow. They are more buttery than marrow and also a taste sensation to blow your socks off.

autumnwinds, May 4, 4:26am
What a waste of good, nutritional, belly-filling food.

As others have said, stuffed with mince, some tomato base and cheese, it's a great dish, one I grew up on, and fed my family with, too.

Rather than compost such largesse, you've probably got many neighbours who would love to have such a gift - most people have access to the net these days, and could look up a recipe (such as above) to make a cheap and filling meal.

samanya, May 4, 4:29am
Salsify & Jerusalem artichokes would probably fall into the 'forgotten vegetable' category, as well.
I grow both, but don't really use them as much as I should, as I have other choices in the garden . but the time is approaching when there won't be the same choices.

autumnwinds, May 4, 4:43am
Thank goodness there's still some available on the roadside, in some more rural localities (as there is here), though one has to be careful about spray use. My son is still willing to stop and dig up a few, and I love their distinctive funky flowers, too.

Such a gorgeous flavour, those Jerusalem Arties (as I called them as a kid). And I have a friend with a bigger herb garden than mine, who still grows salsify, so I get some from her occasionally.

Cape Gooseberry (yes, I know it's a fruit. but one very closely related to tomatoes and potatoes. ) is another "forgotten" food item that has a stunning flavour. I love a pot of Cape Gooseberry jam, or a good chutney.

I guess there's heaps more many would never heard of. so they go to waste. Such a shame. I have people dropping me off loads of unusual stuff, and they get jams, pastes and chutneys in return.

samanya, May 4, 4:55am
Arties or (f)arties? ;o)
I love the flavour too, but it's not to everyone's taste.
I usually make artichoke & carrot soup this one
http://www.deliaonline.com/recipes/type-of-dish/soups/carrot-and-artichoke-soup
It freezes well.
my vege niece doesn't care for it at all . damn.

autumnwinds, May 4, 5:08am
Absolutely both!
But worth it.

samanya, May 4, 5:26am
yep, for sure.

amasser, May 4, 8:12am
Stuffed with taste, they taste good. Why bother?

carol113, May 4, 8:54pm
hehe so true. Works for me when you go away for xmas! LOl

rainrain1, May 4, 9:54pm
I bought a kumi kumi off a stall here recently, and tried it for the first time, it was beautiful. I've never eaten artichoke, I was given some once, and accidently threw them out

samanya, May 7, 6:34am
Sorry to go off topic in your thread, kaiser, but I'm interested in the 'forgotten' aspect of this thread, so I'll give it a bump & hope for more tried & true recipes
for the less popular/unknown vegetables.
Whitloof is another . I don't grow it & have never tried it, I but have Dutch friends who love the stuff.

davidt4, May 7, 7:07am
I love witloof. When we were in Berlin I cooked it almost every night because it was such a treat to be able to buy it in top condition and at low cost. We tried to grow it a few years ago, using upended flowerpots for the blanching stage, but it didn't form proper chicons and went floppy. Probably because the conditions were too warm.

samanya, May 7, 9:31pm
Possibly it is the climate, my friends are in ChCh & I know they used to put it in a wardrobe at some stage, that must have been the blanching thing . I know it caused much teasing about growing plants 'undercover' etc.

pickles7, May 7, 11:21pm
How many still grow jam / pie melons.? I remember stopping to buy one from a stall many years ago, only to find it was a mongrel. That went into the compost. I can remember melon and ginger jam as a child being very popular in our house.

samanya, May 8, 10:54pm
How do jam/pie melons differ from eating ones?
I've heard of melon & ginger jam, but never come across it.

hidecote01, May 8, 11:50pm
Stuffed marrow was Deirdre in Coronation St signature dish that the family and dinner guests dreaded.

floralsun, May 9, 7:58am
Jerusalem Artichokes grow in my garden - far from forgotten here - they'll be ready soon now the foliage is dying down - and the long dry stems are perfect broken in pieces for kindling for our fireplace.

Kamokamo also grow well through summer into autumn, to be used young like a courgette, thickly sliced across and placed onto the bbq or in a pan - tasty.

I've made pear, pie melon and ginger jam - delicious.

pickles7, May 9, 9:30am
I think that was the right name 'pie melon', rather than jam melon.
You could not eat the melon raw.

samanya, May 9, 9:51am
Thanks, pickles.

unknowndisorder, Oct 21, 1:18am
My MIL just chucks it raw in a salad, my mum boils the . Out of it (as she always did with anything) - I prefer my MIL's style of cooking more than mum's, but I think some things (Whitloof, sauerkraut Spring to mind) are best left off my plate lol