DavidT4. How would you freeze rice?

malcovy, Feb 11, 12:33am
I live alone and I am cooking prepared meals now for winter. I am going to make butter chicken today and freeze it in portions. I also wanted to add rice but when I have frozen rice it wasn't that pleasant to eat when thawed. I would like to freeze them together but do not want to ruin the meal. What would you suggest? Thanks.

davidt4, Feb 11, 1:31am
I haven't frozen cooked rice for a long time. I recall that it gets an unpleasant chalky texture. It's so easy to cook rice that I suggest you cook it when you need it rather than freezing it.

malcovy, Feb 11, 1:33am
I thought so too. I will have to trial how much rice and water ratio for rice cooker. Thanks for your answer.

unknowndisorder, Feb 11, 7:59pm
Just a thought, why not make your usual amount of rice and then make a fried rice the following night?

malcovy, Feb 11, 8:55pm
Thanks for the suggestion.

lythande1, Feb 12, 12:46am
You can buy those rice sachets, Uncle bens. it'a a meal portion and can use a pot or microwave as I remember seeing.

Why not just get them?

fifie, Feb 12, 4:37am
About 1/2 hour before you eat rinse about 1/4 cup or little more of long grain rice under cold water till water runs clear. Put it in a saucepan cover with boiling water to about 1/2 inch above rice. Lid off boil it on high heat till water starts to evaporate, doesn’t take long.Turn heat off fluff with a fork lid on and leave it to finish cooking. Before eating fluff with fork again you should have nice dry fluffy rice for one. I make just over 1/2 cup for 2 if we are having butter chicken, curry etc out of the freezer

rainrain1, Feb 12, 8:37am
Freeze the rice and chicken together, making sure there is plenty of sauce with the chicken. When ready to use heat using whatever method you like, maybe microwave? then stir the rice, chicken and sauce together and heat through another minute or less. plenty of sauce is what you need.

pauline999, Feb 13, 6:03am
I freeze rice in small portions - enough for one meal. Heat in the microwave from frozen and stir in a tsp of butter when it's heated and ready to serve. If you parcel up the chicken and rice together you could end up with a soggy mush when reheating - the rice soaks up lots of the sauce.

sherrydog, Feb 13, 6:17am
Use Uncle Ben. Only 2 minutes and if you like variety, they do a number of flavours. Supposed to be free of artificial flavours and colourings and pretty quick. Done while you heat up your meal.

uli, Feb 15, 3:54am
I freeze leftover cooked rice simply in a plastic ziplock bag. They accumul;ate in the freezer until I have enough to make fried rice. I defrost overnight in the fridge.

If you reheat in a microwave I cannot see why you couldn't freeze it together.

You say: "when I have frozen rice it wasn't that pleasant to eat when thawed" - what was unpleasant about it? Too soggy, taste off or something else?

malcovy, Oct 24, 9:58am
It was how DavidT4 described it, the chalky texture. I rarely eat rice and only wanted a small amount of rice. I have decided to not use rice grains and will use cauli rice which I keep in the freezer.