Can you freeze choko

duce3, May 10, 3:46am
x1
I have so many in the garden and you can only eats so much at a time.I need some way to keep them.

lilyfield, May 10, 3:53am
just try it out- freeze for one day- steam from fozen. you will soon find out.

duce3, May 10, 4:01am
Yes you are right, I should just try it!

cookessentials, May 10, 4:40am
Apparently, yes...but cook them first. here is the link with some recipes too!
http://belindamoore.blogspot.com/2008/11/in-season-choko.html

duce3, May 10, 6:53am
thank you. what a great site

cookessentials, May 11, 4:40am
Apparently, yes.but cook them first. here is the link with some recipes too!
http://belindamoore.blogspot.com/2008/11/in-season-choko.html

juliewn, May 19, 9:08am
They can also be cooked in a syrup - as if for peaches, pears, etc.. 3 cups water to 1 cup or less sugar, bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add choco's that have been peeled, any core removed and cut into 8ths lengthwise.. bring to a boil and continue until cooked - they'll stay slightly crisp and will taste similar to pears.. Bottle in sealed jars or cool and place in a bowl in the fridge..

A little lemon juice and zest added is nice. Or add a cinnamon stick or vanilla pod to the syrup when heating.. remove before bottling..

skydancing, May 19, 10:10am
Oh wow I was going to say sell some on here and I will buy them but you are a bit far away. I just love them but they are soooooo expensive.

juliewn, May 20, 9:08am
They can also be cooked in a syrup - as if for peaches, pears, etc. 3 cups water to 1 cup or less sugar, bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar. Add choco's that have been peeled, any core removed and cut into 8ths lengthwise. bring to a boil and continue until cooked - they'll stay slightly crisp and will taste similar to pears. Bottle in sealed jars or cool and place in a bowl in the fridge.

A little lemon juice and zest added is nice. Or add a cinnamon stick or vanilla pod to the syrup when heating. remove before bottling.

floralsun, May 20, 9:45am
Skydancing - try a Farmer's Market - or look out for road side stalls - Opp shops sometimes sell them too. I bought some at a community hand-craft store yesterday for 60c each - for good-sized smooth skinned fruit without the prickles..would think they'd be a similar price there.

duce3, May 20, 10:43am
Hi again, I did freeze two packets of it for a few days and then defrosted one of them.It tasted fine but lost at least half its volumn in water.It goes limp but would be good added to soup or such.
We tried it raw in a green salad and it was great.I peeled then washed it first then cut up into slices.Sort of like a mix of cucumber and water chestnut.

floralsun, May 21, 9:45am
Skydancing - try a Farmer's Market - or look out for road side stalls - Opp shops sometimes sell them too. I bought some at a community hand-craft store yesterday for 60c each - for good-sized smooth skinned fruit without the prickles.would think they'd be a similar price there.

jed, May 22, 1:12am
I have been given 3 choko's.Never had them before, nor do I no how to cook them.What so you do with them, any suggestions please?

pickles7, May 22, 1:55am
Roast them, or steam them with a little ch. onion, serve with a knob of butter. We like them any way. They will also take on apple, pear, peach, or other fruit to stretch out fruit, for cooked desserts..
I have some I had forgotten about. I will go put them on my bench now.

jduck1, May 22, 7:59am
choko pickle is really nice.

jed, May 23, 1:12am
I have been given 3 choko's.Never had them before, nor do I no how to cook them.What so you do with them, any suggestions please!

pickles7, May 23, 1:55am
Roast them, or steam them with a little ch. onion, serve with a knob of butter. We like them any way. They will also take on apple, pear, peach, or other fruit to stretch out fruit, for cooked desserts.
I have some I had forgotten about. I will go put them on my bench now.