Best ham to buy?

Page 2 / 2
punkinthefirst, Dec 7, 8:55pm
The best ham to buy is the one that tastes the best. to you.
You may like your ham to be sweet. In which case, go for a honey-cured ham. A dry cure means that the ham is immersed in dry salts spices and additives, rather than in brine. Then there are many ways of smoking the hams to dry them out, flavour and preserve them. And many different possibilities depending on the combnations.
Ask your reliable local butcher. and ask for a taste.

eljayv, Dec 8, 2:50am
I believe champagne ham is just a ham with the main bone removed to make it easier to slice. However where the bone is removed the meat is glued together with a concoction some of which contain gluten so not a good choice for coeliacs.
The local supermarket was selling a brand of ham which was labelled gluten free and the deli was slicing some of the same brand which had been
“ champagned” (if there is such a word) for their carving benefit and the procedure was explained by the rep.

snapperheadrkp, Dec 9, 1:19am
Purchased a half Ryans Champagne ham for a pre Xmas Dinner with Rellies here from Aus the other day. About $10.50 a kg from PaknQue. OK but a bit dry.
Wouldn't buy this brand again as have had better

kay34, Dec 9, 2:34am
We bought a Grandpas brand ham - if their bacon is any indication on the ham, it will be yummy

karlymouse, Dec 9, 9:46am
I am pretty sure that dogs should not be given cooked bones and particularly not ham bones. but your dog. your possible problem.

joybells2, Nov 25, 7:54am
A boneless ham will keep better than a bone in one. Bake it with a nice glaze. As for brand I don't think there is a great difference. I have a Leonard's one as we did last year.