Low Carb Recipes

Page 2 / 2
buzzy110, Jun 23, 11:06pm
I really like this Butter Chicken Recipe that Davidt4 posted a while back. It can bee used with other ingredients, potato being one of them. I have left the options in because it is not my recipe to play around with. It is quite a simple recipe as well.

BUTTER CHICKEN
Tomato Butter Sauce:
To cook approx 1 kg chicken, prawns, fish, potatoes or paneer

Ingredients:
750g tomatoes, cored, peeled, chopped
4 green cardamom pods
3 green chillies, seeded and chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5cm ginger, peeled and chopped
3 black peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp chilli flakes
40g butter
1 tab tomato paste
½ c cream
salt & pepper
1 tsp ground fenugreek
2 tab chopped coriander leaves

Method:
• Place in a saucepan the tomatoes, Cardamom, Chillies, Garlic, Ginger, Peppercorns and Chilli, with half of the Butter. Bring to the boil, simmer gently uncovered 1 hour. .Pass through a sieve, add Tomato Paste, remaining Butter, Cream, Salt and Pepper, fenugreek.
• Add your main food and cook until done, about an hour for chicken pieces, 45 min for potato, 5 - 8 minutes for prawns and fish or paneer.
• Adjust seasoning, stir in coriander.
davidt4 (224 )

jan2242, Jun 23, 11:48pm
I still do 'crumbing' of fish and meat. I use water chestnut flour, egg, and either almond meal or sunflower seed meal for crumbing. Sunflower seeds are far cheaper than almonds.

diamondgirl06, Jun 24, 1:10am
Thanks so much for starting this thread Buzzy. I'm getting lots of inspiration.
I've just made your parmesan crisps in anticipation of requiring something crunchy and salty while watching the Rugby tonight. They are delicious. I fear they may not last until 7.30 pm

buzzy110, Jun 24, 3:52am
Fantastic. Did you just put small piles onto baking paper and melt?

timturtle, Jun 24, 4:47am
I am going to make these. I will try my mini silicon muffin tins to get a small crisp I will report back. I'm not home till end of June though

timturtle, Jun 24, 4:57am
Crackers

1 cup Almond meal
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp chicken stock powder
Some chopped rosemary

Blitz in a food processor until combined then add 1 egg white and blitz again until a dough ball forms

Roll out on oven paper covered in glad wrap as thin as - which is easy you can cut bits and place at uneven edges - hope you understand. Then score into crackers with a knife - I have sq cutters. Use your knife like a pizza cutter sort of rock it over NOT a drag motion

Bake at 180 deg for about 15 mins - BUT watch them as they go brown quick in the end !

These store very well in a container and are so easy and tasty - Enjoy

Of course you can add any flavour eg Garlic powder, cover in rock salt etc You don't need to make them big I can get about 50 smallest crackers out of this. They just give that crunch factor under Brie or to scoop up your low carb dip

buzzy110, Jun 24, 4:57am
If you are going to use a mould don't be over generous with the cheese. They are quite 'thin'. Thick blobs would probably be not as crispy.

timturtle, Jun 24, 5:04am
I thought I mite have to double bake them - Once to shape and then again out of the moulds to crisp up - I'll experiment Lol

diamondgirl06, Jun 24, 5:27am
Yes, pretty much. I put a pile about the diameter of a rice cracker. They come out a little bigger as they melt into themselves. About 10 to 12 mins at 180 fan bake. Nothing easier.

wendalls, Jun 24, 9:51pm
Thanks guys! I shall be trying at least crackers and bone broth this week! Buzzy do you need to reduce your bone broth to make it tastier? In the past I thought my efforts were watery.

jan2242, Jun 24, 9:57pm
Will make the crackers today - sound divine.

jan2242, Jun 24, 10:01pm
CHICKEN TACOS
chicken mince
taco seasoning
egg (for egg wash)
almond flour for crumbing (or try other things like sesame seeds etc)
1/2 avocado
ranch dressing
lettuce
tomato
cheese

To make taco shell.
Mix seasoning with chicken mince. Place wax paper on a board and spread out mince. Cut into taco shape. Spread egg wash over top, then crumbing. Place wax paper on top and another board. Flip over and repeat with other side (egg and crumb)

Place wax paper on top and gently fold in half. Freeze for 1/2 hour.
Avocado dressing - mix ranch dressing with 1/2 avocado.

Deep fry at 230c for 15 minutes, drain. Fill with avocado dressing, shredded lettuce, tomato and cheese

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:54pm
Thank you so much for that.

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:56pm
NIBBLES
Nibbles are the death of low carb/Paleo weightloss where eating in between meals is 'frowned' upon. BUT we still need to have some ideas for times when it is unavoidable. I mix with older people who struggle to think of nibbles as anything other than crackers, potato crisps and pretzels surrounded by cheese platters and bought dips and maybe peanuts or pistachio nuts. They often turn their polite noses up at some of the things I contribute to the evening so I usually only provide very small quantities. They are the losers.

Naturally there are cheeses, cold meats such as ham, ham chunks and tomato flesh on a stick, salami, smoked fish and cold smoked salmon, etc. I'm sure you don't need me to help you there. Here are some other easy ideas:

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:56pm
ARTICHOKES, TINNED OYSTERS, CUCUMBER CHUNKS with sml bowl sea salt for dipping
Self explanatory really. Don't eat with crackers

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:57pm
CARROT STICKS AND ROUND RECTANGLES
The method for making carrot sticks is so easy I am amazed that no one has mentioned it before

Method:
1. First cut the carrots thinly at an angle so you get longish 'round' rectangles
2. Put them into a pile (as you go, not altogether) and cut sticks. So simple. Make the sticks as wide or as narrow as you want.
3. If you want to use the carrot as a receptacle for cheese or to scoop up dip leave as 'round' rectangles

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:57pm
MARINATED MUSHROOMS
Here is the basic recipe:

MARINATED MUSHROOMS
Ingredients:
500g Button Mushrooms – Wiped clean
100ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Bay Leaf
1 Cup Water
1 Tblspn Marjoram and Oregano Finely Chopped
50ml Lemon Juice
Fresh ground Black Pepper
Method:
1. Put Olive Oil, Water, Salt, Pepper, Lemon Juice and Herbs in a large frying pan
2. Leave uncovered and bring to the boil then tip in Mushrooms
3. Cook at a lively boil uncovered for 7-10mins or till cooked through, flipping mushrooms in the reducing liquid
4. Take out mushrooms using a slotted spoon and continue reducing liquid over a high heat swirling pan from time to time until oil and liquids have reduced and formed an emulsion
Pour over mushrooms and leave to cool to room temperature

MY ADAPTATIONS
1. Cook in a wide based pot but still without the lid
2. Add finely sliced red/brown onion, garlic (optional) and fresh ginger
3. I only use ½ the oil to cook and add the rest after cooking and it has cooled down
4. If EV olive oil is too strong for you then use avocado oil or macadamia nut oil
5. Everything is improved with a dash of sesame oil (toasted or plan)

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:58pm
PESTO
There are plenty to choose from in your supermarket Self Serve Deli Department but if you want to make your own because you get a bigger bang for your buck or you happen to have excess fresh herbs growing here is the basic, very simple recipe that can be adapted to available herbs or added ingredients:

JAMIE OLIVER'S PESTO
Ingredients
• ½ a clove garlic
• 1 big bunch of fresh basil
• 1 handful of pine nuts
• 1 good handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese
• extra virgin olive oil
• 1 lemon , optional
Method
1. Peel the garlic, then pound in a pestle and mortar with a pinch of sea salt.
2. Pick, roughly chop and add the basil leaves, then bash to a paste (or pulse in a food processor).
3. Add the pine nuts (very lightly toast first, if you like) to the mixture and pound again, then stir in half the Parmesan.
4. Drizzle in some oil – you need just enough to bind the sauce and get it to an oozy consistency.
5. Add most of the remaining cheese, then season to perfection with salt and black pepper. Have a taste, and keep adding a bit more cheese or oil until you are happy with the taste and consistency.
6. Add a squeeze of lemon juice at the end to give it a little twang, if you like, but it’s not essential.
PESTO VARIATIONS
1. Green Pesto - Use whatever greens and herbs you want. I have used combinations or just by itself - rocket, spinach, kale, cress , both water and land based and mint
2. There is a commercial preparation using toasted cashews, basil and dried tomatoes
3. Another I think uses toasted cashews and pumpkin

You are limited only by ingredients on hand and your imagination

buzzy110, Jun 24, 10:59pm
SASHIMI
If you are lucky enough to have access to freshly caught fish then this is the most perfect way to get an awesome explosion of taste

Ingredients:
Fresh fish
Sesame Oil - toasted or not
Mama San Soy Sauce

Equipment:
Chopsticks or toothpicks
Small sauce bowl/bowls
A fancy plate or little wire tree for presentation
Small jug
Small bowl for used toothpicks

Method:
1. Cut your fish into appropriate size and thickness slices (you may need to google this as some fish is better cut thick - i.e. tuna, whilst others do better paper thin and present however you want
2. Mix Sesame Oil and Sauce into a palate pleasing sauce using your own quantities and pour into a serving jug - Note I prefer to do it this way when it is help yourself. I provide small dipping bowls. That way everyone uses their own bowl and not a shared bowl which most Westerners find off putting. I know I don't like sharing food that people dip their eating utensils into.
3. Place it all on a platter so people can help themselves to chop sticks or toothpicks, dipping sauce and fish slices

Note: I spend a lot of time explaining to people what they are seeing. The more urbane will tuck in. Others will screw their noses up. Don't be offended. It is more for you.

buzzy110, Jun 24, 11:00pm
MARINATED MUSSELS
Surprisingly, mussles do not actually require to be marinated in sugar. I have been eating mussels since I could chew. My mother never used sugar and I dislike sugar marinade.

Ingredients:
Fresh mussels
Malt Vinegar (yeah, I know but this is the most basic recipe and the only one I like)
Brown or Red Onion
Red Capsicum - Optional

Method:
1. Chop up the Onion and Capsicum (if using) and place in a the bowl the mussels are to go into
2. Steam open the mussels (Put a small amount of water in a pot, add a layer of mussels and team until opened is the normal way. If you have a Chinese bamboo steamer or some other steamer then much better.
3. To make more tender remove the tough muscle from inside (the one with the hair attached)
4. Put into the bowl. Liquid from the mussels will add their flavours to the mix. Don't drain)
5. Add enough malt vinegar to barely cover and leave for 1 hour before eating

Note: - I have used corrugated iron over an open flame or the hot plate on a BBQ to open as well.
Don't overcook as they get tough and don't undercook because they are gross

buzzy110, Jun 24, 11:02pm
EGGPLANT/AUBERGINE
This underrated vegetable makes a fantastic addition to nibbles. Nowadays salting and leaving is not necessary BUT if you want to get less floppy, oil heavy grilled slices then Salt and leave then wipe off the liquid. It takes a whole lot less oil to cook.

GRILLED AND FILLED ROLLS:
There are various things you can stuff these with. Mine change with available ingredients and how I'm feeling. I think this may be more of a starter but if you can slice them in half they make a good nibble with a toothpick to hold them together.

Ingredients:
Eggplant
Oil for cooking - Use a brush
Seasoning
Stuffing Ingredients

Method:
1.Slice eggplant into thick slices lengthwise
2. Brush sparingly with - warm oil goes further
3. Season with seasoning of choice - S & P, garlic, chilli, etc
4. Fry at a gentle heat in frying pan in batches or on the BBq. If you have an Easy Cook then put a layer on either the highest rack or next level down and bake at 200C till crispy but not burnt
Cool for 3-4 minutes
Spread filling on and roll

Here is Recipe that I pulled down from the net which more or less sounds the same as what I do:

Ingredients
• For the Filling:
• 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup finely grated feta cheese
• 1 tablespoon fresh juice from 1 lemon
• 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh oregano
• 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh mint
• 1 teaspoon finely minced fresh dill
• 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper

• For the Eggplant Rolls:
• 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
• 3 Tomatoes, stemmed, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch dice
• 1 Cucumber, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
1. For the Filling: Whisk together yogurt, feta, lemon juice, oregano, mint, dill, and garlic in a medium bowl
2. Spread a layer of filling over each eggplant slice and top each with a single layer of tomatoes and cucumber
3. Roll eggplant slices into spirals and serve.

wendalls, Jun 24, 11:44pm
The cabbage and bacon fat suggestion reminds me of a recipe I make with butter, onion and chopped bacon cooked for 2 mins in microwave, then add 2 T peanut butter and cook 1 min more. Then add sliced cabbage, cover and cook about 4-5 mins or to your liking. Delicious if you like peanut butter.

daarhn, Aug 18, 1:57am
Anything low carb? Then recipes that are vegetarian/vegan are ideal as a guide. If you insist, replace the vegan meat (tofu) with your own preference.

I use the link below for some of my inspiration for easy no fuss low carb meals.

http://www.veganricha.com/