Tahini advice please

Page 2 / 2
samanya, Mar 3, 9:09am
I can't take the credit as It wasn't my tip . the original poster suggested that.

village.green, Mar 3, 9:14am
Halva is basically crushed sesame seeds.

mjhdeal, Mar 3, 4:18pm
I use the same amount of tahini (1/4 cup). The recipe says it does 4 servings, so it's only 1 tablespoon tahini per serve, (if you stick to serving guidelines) which doesn't seem a lot to me.

But I assure you, you'll wish you had followed my advice and doubled the recipe. You will build golden effigies in my image to worship, for bringing this advice to your attention**.
**Disclaimer: If you don't like it, and curse me for wasted ingredients, I will disavow all knowledge of this recipe.

frances1266, Mar 3, 7:20pm
I think the Sri Lankan chutney recipe might be Rowan Bishop's recipe.
I used to make it years ago and it is really delicious. She simplified it a few years after it was first published by using canned tomatoes which made it convenient to make all year.

awoftam, Mar 4, 2:12am
Ha ha yip I made it and it just didn't taste right so I loaded it up with the full quarter cup et voila! Magnifique. Initially I thought it may have been too strong with quarter of a cup but it wasn't at all.

It is going to be glorious on my herb coleslaw tonight!

Thanks very much for the recipe.

samanya, Mar 4, 4:28am
I'd describe it (well the way mine turned out) more of a tomato/chilli/ginger jam than a chutney, but it's scrummy & I'd make it again.
I'm pleased I only made half the recipe, as it's going to take ages to get through. even giving some jars away!

samanya, Mar 10, 10:35pm
I've got the golden effigy commissioned!
Made this last night & it's absolutely delicious . I used Tahini & I tell you, I haven't licked spoons so much since childhood . almost didn't need the salad!
Thanks so much for this recipe . it's a keeper.
& thanks to David4t for suggesting hulled Tahini . much nicer.

dibble35, Mar 11, 6:30pm
Bugger, for the first time in my life I bought tahini yesterday. and of course I got the UN! -hulled one. Its for making Falafels, wonder if I will really notice any difference?

wendalls, Mar 11, 8:45pm
Well I had an excess of sesame seeds so just chucked some in my last batch of hummus. Tasted good although they weren't chopped much. Some fridge cleaning fairy keeps throwing out my tahini which I wasn't really that sure I liked anyway. It was ceres organic brand. First time I used some I nearly threw up. Maybe if I grind up my seeds first then use them they will be ok? Albeit with husks.

nauru, Mar 12, 5:29am
I make my own nut butters and sometimes add a spoonful of tahini to it.

nauru, Mar 14, 5:59am
This was really nice and liked by everyone, thank you for sharing your recipe. Granddaughter (a poor Uni student) took the rest back with her so it didn't keep for 5 days in the fridge, lol. Will definitely make this again, maybe tomorrow (leftover roast beetroot from dinner tonight) just love beetroot any way.

sossie1, Oct 15, 10:55am
the only time i ever made a jar of Tahini, Mr Sossie threw it out. !