Advice needed for Cappuccino machines

sapphirez, Apr 16, 8:25pm
Who has got a cappuccino machine?I am wanting to buy one, there are so many different ones.If so which one do you have?Any advice?

sarahj1, Apr 16, 8:48pm
Unless you are prepared to pay over $500 and get a really decent grunty one, don't bother.Also you need a good grinder - using pre-ground beans is a waste of time.Also, you need to learn how to use an espresso machine properly - most people don't bother and the machine sits on the kitchen bench until it gets biffed at a garage sale or on TM.
We spent $1200 on a Rancilio Silvia semi-commercial machine and grinder 12 years ago and use them every day - but if you just want a cappuccino you are probably better off using a plunger to brew a really strong, short coffee and them using a clean plunger to froth milk you have heated in the microwave- save yourself $$$$$.

nzl99, Apr 16, 9:21pm
I disagree, but each to their own. :-)My cheapie Breville Cafe Roma works just dandy and cost around $200. Certainly don't notice the difference in the coffee when going to friends houses and using their $2000 machines.

Coffee grinders are only about $50.

knowsley, Apr 16, 9:29pm
I guess it does depend on personal taste. I have had a variety of machines over the years, upgrading each time. I could never get a decent coffee out of the cheaper machines, but to others the coffee was fine. If you want to get a coffee approaching the quality of those from cafes, I agree with what sarahj1 said. I have used the Breville machine that a friend owns and it produces nowhere near the quality of coffee that the higher end machines do, but she is happy with it. And there is skill involved in making decent coffee - a $2000 machine doesn't guarantee a quality coffee in the hands of a novice.

ribzuba, Apr 16, 9:41pm
you do get what you pay for... but if you are going to invest in one invest in some coffee making lessons too

cookessentials, Apr 16, 9:49pm
It depends on what you buy. Have had the cheaper tamp your own machines. Now have a Jura Impressa Z5 which has an internal burr grinder...makes better coffee than most cafe' coffee in our opinion. Completely automated, fast, hot. Even tell you when grounds need emptying, when beans need filling or water tank needs filling.
http://www.euroespresso.jura.com/home_pacificcoffee_x/products_home_use/z_line/impressa_z7_chrome.htmto buy one retail here you will need to put away about $4k or more

lilyfield, Apr 16, 9:49pm
its all personal taste. My simple stovetop espresso for 20$ serves me perfectly with a stickblender andhot milk from the microwave. Nothing fiddly to clean up after.

cookessentials, Apr 16, 9:57pm
The only advice I can give is dont buy Sunbeam. Secondly, how often do you drink coffee? how important is a good coffee to you? and what is your budget?
A Bialettii stove top espresso makes beautiful coffee and has done so for some 75 years. If you want to go electric, you need to decide on whether you want to fiddle about tamping your own coffee etc or whether you want fully automatic. We have friends who have a tamp your own and by the time you get your coffee, its cold and the machine does one at a time. Ours does two at a time very quickly and it's good and hot.

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 16, 10:30pm
I have a italian one similar to a "Rocket" - they were'nt available at the time and I had the money so bought an isomatic - now I wish I had waited and for no other reason that mine seems to need servicing one a year, the parts were only $7 but the labour was horrendous and cost me $140 to get it done. But love my coffee and it cost me 3.5k so I suppose its like a new car! I have just bought a mezza grinder which was 1k but they gave it to me for $800! I wasnt sure if it would be worth it but the coffee is nicer and I do notice the difference even if hubby doesnt! coffeeis coffee to him even drinks instant yuk!!!

kiwiscrapper1, Apr 16, 10:32pm
I can do 2 on mine Pam if I use the double holder thingy but I use that for mine anyway because I like it strong...I drink so much I now need to get my teeth whitened! do you sell anything for that?lol I need more chocolate too do you have some in stock.

macandrosie, Apr 18, 10:20am
Yeah I had a cheapy breville absolutely useless! I changed to a sunbeam series with the sunbeam coffee grinder, all up about $1000. Really worth it. If you havedone a barista course you will be fussier about how you want your coffee to turn out!

cookessentials, Apr 18, 6:55pm
No, I dont sell teeth whitener LOL, however, I have been asked for cufflinks, staplers,skeletons and handkercheifs! Was it the Mexican Ibarra chocolate or the Valrhona cocoa? I have both. We both enjoy our coffee and honestly, our at home coffee is nicer than most bought stuff. I bought the machine for DH for our wedding anniversary a couple of years ago and certainly have not regretted it.

litedelites, Apr 18, 10:38pm
We use a Jura at work.It is good, but still have an issue getting the milk as hot as cafe's.And as someone else mentioned even if you get a good coffe m/c this does not mean that it will make a good coffee.I suggest if you have not already done, go a do a local barista course.i did mine at the local ppolytechnic - it was great.Teacher was in the barista worlds and did well.Also had Carl Sara come in to offer tips - another world champ. T

wron, Apr 19, 9:15am
Read the latest Consumer mag - they have these in all libraries. They tested a couple of new models (no good) and republished the results of the previous tests - several medium priced Italian ones at around $2000 actually came last!!!!! Well worth reading,

kinna54, Apr 19, 9:42am
I too have the sunbeam with the sunbeam coffee grinder, (mine was a gift) and it's awesome. However I agree it's not all about the machine, I had Barrista training at my last employment, and there are many factors to great coffee, perfect tamping, temperature (use the milk thermometer)andtechnique is just as important, and I find my sunbeam more than hot enough, and I can make 2 at once as well. Also fussy about coffee brands, if I can't afford the good stuff I limit the machine usage, so lately an espresso is a real treat.
Friends have an automatic, but I think there's is just as slow. I'm slow and awkward with mine now due to hands,but hubby has it down to a fine art (and he's without barrista training.)

purplegoanna, Apr 20, 12:04am
after owning 5 and selling them on here my best adivce is to stick to a decent coffee shop that makes them....

dorisday, Apr 20, 10:15am
I have a Presso and it is great, we have friends who have spent up to $900 on home coffee machines and now have Presso's, also both our children have them (grown ups!). but.... I think a burr grinder is essential to good coffee, also fresh beans (keep sealed). Sorry but also matching the type of grind (fine/super fine) to your particular type of coffe machine is important too. The Presso needs a very fine grind.I do also buy up "Cuppachino" milk frothers off TM so I can also get the milk right. So in summing up.....half decent machine but the freshly ground beans almost as important.