Buying breadmaker, ingredient buying advice please

Page 1 / 2
porthills, Dec 8, 3:29am
I am going to buy a breadmaker what I would like to know is what ingredients I should buy in bulk to make healthy bread ie: what type of flour etc. When I pick it up I would like to come home and be able to make something. And any other advice would be much appreciated.

raewyn64, Dec 8, 3:37am
I cheat with mine - I get the breadmix from Binn Inn and all I have to add is water and yeast.Makes it quicker for me to get it all ready in the mornings.

porthills, Dec 8, 4:51am
Might get some as a back up incase of a I cant be bothered day. But I'd like to make bread thats healthy I presume the premix stuff isnt really.

cgvl, Dec 8, 6:44am
depends on your breadmaker. but I use plain flour (can be high grade, standard or wholemeal), either Tasti or Edmonds Yeast (not the granulated one) the one with extra or called breadmakers yeast.
I use butter and milk powder but you can use oil, and apparently don't have to use milk powder.
Extras: bran flakes, rye flour, whole wheat, rice flour, there is a 7 grain mix you can buy thats quite nice.I also use a handful of rolled oats in mix as well.

lilyfield, Dec 8, 7:50am
I get a 20 kilo bag of bakers flour from Gilmours. And large bag of Bran from P&S. Plus loose linseed ,sunflower seeds and kibbled wheat. Mix my own- dirt cheap. also the yeast in bulk from gilmours- store in deepfreeze -lasts forever.

Rolled oats are in the house always anyway,

korbo, Dec 8, 6:06pm
check out my user name and type in bread recipe on left hand side. for a good tried and true recipe.

porthills, Dec 8, 6:43pm
Thanks guys. I dont know what Gilmours is, probably like Bin Inn down here. Good to know amounts because I cant buy it in bulk here. I'll have a look at that recipe now, thanks. So you can use healthy oil instead of butter? does it taste as good?

porthills, Dec 8, 6:50pm
Didnt work what am I doing wrong?

cgvl, Dec 8, 10:45pm
porthills my MIL uses oil in her's I prefer butter, not sure of quantities re oil.
I buy the kibbled wheat and rye and 7 grain mix from Bin Inn or whatever its called here.
You can buy Bread flour and most machines suggest you use high grade flour. I don't I buy whatever is cheapest and use that.

Don't buy the pre mixes they are expensive for what you get.
My suggestion would be to try a basic white loaf to start with, follow the manufactureres instructions to the letter. Then you can experiment.
I love mine for being able to make pizza dough, means I can have a healthy version of my favourite.

porthills, Dec 9, 12:37am
Thanks cgvl. The one I'm looking at does everything I think. I can imagine butter being nicer than oil - being a butter addict myself. Yes I spose I should start simple. I just would like to have everything on hand so it lasts awhile before I have to make another trip into town.

korbo, Dec 9, 2:25am
opps i put you wrong.
here it is.
300ml warm water
2 tbls oil or butter
2 teasp sugar
1.1/2 teas salt
3 cups flour (any sort)
2 tble milk ppwder or milk
3 teaspoons yeast. I use the red lid one.
put all in bucket in that order, press basic and start.

litedelites, Dec 9, 2:43am
I have got out my breadmaker that I purchased a few years ago for my partner when the thought he had celiacs, but turned out he didn't.Breadmaker was not used, but now trying it out. So for 2 for 2 in flops.1st was not edible, 2 was but still did not rise much. Keen to know thoughts.I think first flop was because mixture was to dry.2nd unsure - may be water temp??Thoughts

litedelites, Dec 9, 2:44am
Forgot to say: I used breadmix

porthills, Dec 9, 3:47am
Thanks korbo. So with oil is it always the same amount as butter and the same with powdered milk and normal milk? I spose when I actually read a book with recipes etc i will have an idea, but this is great I'm learning already and I dont even have one yet!

porthills, Dec 9, 3:49am
I had a quick google this morning and someone said in the helpful hints that yeast and water/milk whatever should be room temperature. No idea if that helps, I dont even have a breadmaker yet.

porthills, Dec 9, 3:51am
What size loaf does this recipe make?

korbo, Dec 11, 7:41am
mmm. i dont really know, think it is 1kg. i just press the buttons.
try that first and then back to the drawing board. I have got 3 breadmakers and use the same recipe all the time. if i want a flavoured loaf, just add whatever, cheese, onion, curry powder 1 tesp, or fruit and nuts, or to be real fancy, grate some fresh beetroot and put that in, with some onion and lemon peper.
good luck the best part is experimenting. love it.

porthills, Dec 11, 5:51pm
Yes I'm really looking forward to it. Auction closes today so hopefully I get it.

lilyfield, Dec 11, 7:51pm
my yeast is stored in deepfreeze- so it lasts forever. I use it straight out - icy cold. And never have had a failure yet.

grandma, Dec 11, 8:32pm
These are my tips for successful bread making:
· In my breadmaker I use the recipe for the 750 g loaf as the 1 kg one rises too much and the resulting overflow over the window of the breadmaker is a waste.
· I have always used High Grade flour and so am not sure of the results if you use the normal type.It could be ok though.
· While I am assembling the ingredients, I half fill the bread pan with hot water and let it stand to warm it up. (I empty it of course before putting in the bread making ingredients!)
· I make sure the water temperature I am using is not too hot (and not too cold!) - slightly warmer than warm.
· Use proper metric measuring jug, cup and spoons.
· Make sure the breadmaker is not in a too cold a place – I pull mine away from the cool tile wall.
· When measuring the flour, I pour or scoop the flour using a scoop, into the measuring cup.I found that if I scooped the flour up using the metric cup, sometimes there must have been an "air bubble" in it and have had much more success filling the cup this way.
· Always level the top off the flour square off with the back of a knife - do this with the other dry ingredients too.
· Use Edmonds Surebake Active Yeast Mixture in the red capped jar.
· When the bread is baked and the bell has rung, I find that if I turn off the breadmaker and leave it for about 5 mins before I shake the bread out, it comes out easier.

grandma, Dec 11, 8:36pm
Here is the recipe I use:
1 cup, plus 2 Tablespoons tepid water
3 cups High Grade Flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar(I usually just use 1 and can’t tell any difference in the result.)
1 Tablespoon, light olive oil
1 Tablespoon, skim milk powder (I have used skim and sometimes whole milk, again haven’t been able to tell the difference.)
3 teaspoons Sure Bake Yeast (red cap)
Refer to your book “Beginners guide to your first loaf” for appropriate instructions to match your breadmaker model.
SETTING #1 – BASIC
LOAF 750 grm
CRUST: TIME:I use medium (B)COOKING TIME: Using Crust 1 (a) = 2 hours 46 mins light crust. Using Crust 1 (b) = 2 hours 58 mins med crust.Using Crust 1 (c) = 3 hours 5 mins – dark crust
Pizza Dough
1 cup tepid water, 3 cups High Grade Flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 TBSP light olive oil, 3 tsp Sure Bake Yeast (red cap).
*Make sure you have a New Zealand recipe book too*

porthills, Dec 12, 4:17am
Thats good coz it sounds a damn sight easier than waiting for something to warm up!

porthills, Dec 12, 4:26am
Thanks grandma thats great. Dont know what happened to my message now I have to try and remember what I asked! I just won my auction, my xmas pressy, a breville BBM600 I think it was, one of the 3 consumer recommended. Can you use oil in the same amount as you would butter? can you use any sort of oil? Can you recommend a good recipe book?

porthills, Dec 12, 5:57am
Oh yes I am getting some Australian bread improver thrown in - what is that?

korbo, Dec 12, 8:30am
you dont need to use the aussie improver. all you need is the red lid yeast from supermarket. there is another one, but the name is not coming thru. that one is good too.
good luck.