$10 cauliflower?

Page 2 / 2
samanya, Mar 11, 1:48am
I steam cauliflower too & it never smells.

flancrest, Mar 11, 2:45am
There is no such thing as non-organic cauliflower. It is from a plant, and therefore by definition is organic.

samanya, Mar 11, 4:04am
True.

nauru, Mar 11, 4:22am
As with all veges, I steam my cauli, there's no smell. If you cook in water, add a few drops lemon juice, that's supposed to stop the smell.

uli, Mar 11, 6:53am
Of course . and there is no non-organic cow sh*t either .

If cabbages (which means cabbage, cauli, broccoli and a lot of others) are over fertilized (to make them grow faster) they will all smell terrible when cooked, steamed or whatever you do to them to get them from raw to cooked.

And yes why buy cauli now when we have green beans, courgettes, eggplants, peppers, tomatoes and all sorts of summer greens.

kay141, Mar 11, 6:58am
Maybe those vegetables are still growing got you but for the majority of the country, they are finished. Some areas have had temperatures near to 0°.

kay34, Mar 11, 7:55am
broccoli 99c ea today, on the small side, but we bought 3.

uli, Mar 12, 5:44am
The growing vegetables got me? Not quite sure what you mean.

But yes we still have hurricanes, hot weather and i just planted the first winter terrace with cauli, broccoli, cabbage and cos, endive and radiccio. This will be ready to harvest in May.

samanya, Mar 12, 5:56am
I know exactly what kay141 meant . just because you are still able to rely on a crop at this time of the year, some are not able to.
It takes a lot of planning & dedication to harvest fresh vegetables all year round, in cooler climes too . maybe a lot more than those in temperate climates.
We get 120kph winds here too, on a regular basis (they are called a Nor wester) plus we regularly get 30c degrees plus & then later the frosts . it's a challenge, but it can be done, just not always with Mother Nature on our side.

uli, Mar 13, 12:54am
I am amazed samanya that you have so conveniently forgotten that I had a huge garden in Germany - in an area which had up to -15 degrees C in winter (which starts with the first frosts in mid-October and hopefully ends with the last frosts in the first week of June).

I know exactly how to have FRESH vegies year round without having a freezer! I lived it for many years.

So pull in the claws and add some useful information, maybe even tell me what kay141 meant when she wrote about the growing vegetables got me. as you said you know "exactly" what she meant.

samanya, Mar 13, 1:03am
Claws?
You missed the point uli.
How rude!
You were talking about what fresh vegetables you had in your garden atm & kay pointed out that we don't all have such a temperate climate as you.
If you choose to interpret that differently & make a snarky reply . that's not my problem.

kay141, Mar 13, 2:54am
God help you if you make a typo, it seems the personal ridicule is back.

Why do some assume they know better than others?

it has been a poor season for veges here, either too much rain or not enough and water restrictions. Then of course, you need to be home to do see to it.

Such is not my life.

samanya, Mar 13, 3:47am
Good to see you about again, kay.
I was on water restrictions way before Christmas although I have a heap of rain water storage, I try to eek it out in case we don't get an appreciable rain . but this summer is the first for a long time that my lawn has been green all summer. I've had a big problem with whitefly . & I'm guessing that it's due to the unusual humidity . the companion planting has been useless. I guess more temperate climates come with problems as well . at least the frosts deal to some of the bugs.
atm here it's summer one day & distinctly autumn the next. Haven't had a fire yet (new one being installed tomorrow) but if I'd had a fire I would have been tempted to light it a couple of nights.
Back on topic . what do you think about the price of cauliflowers ;o)

kay141, Mar 13, 5:14am
Thanks, back for a while. I see things haven't changed for the better.

Cauliflower is not my favourite vegetable and as it isn't on my shopping list, I haven't noticed the price but have read about it. I have noticed the increased cost of broccoli and lettuce at the local fresh produce shop. Can't comment on supermarket prices as I don't buy produce there.

I do get annoyed at those who have a semi-tropical climate, suffer less weather damage than other parts of the country and have no responsibilities to the wider community, then spout off about how productive they are. Completely selfish and have no understanding of the lives of others.

samanya, Mar 13, 5:30am
yep, I hear you . but we can't let that bother us, just do the best we can & if it doesn't measure up to other's standards . who the hell really cares?
I like my life & where I live & am very happy with what I produce to eat & to hell with those who insist on comparing apples with oranges & pineapples, huh?.

uli, Mar 13, 5:41am
"Those" people had just 7 weeks of above 90% humidity and had everything from courgettes to cucumbers to lettuces rot in the ground. Could do no washing as nothing dried and were just having a hurricane down their coast. I realize that was "completely selfish" and we should have shared HOLA with you in the South, but we thought since you already had 2 in the South you wouldn't mind if we kept her all to ourselves.

As to the "responsibilities to the wider community" - I rather not comment otherwise it is called ". Completely selfish and no understanding of the lives of others."

I hope you all have a nice autumn and lots of cauliflowers.

kay141, Mar 13, 6:22am
Oh, dear, what a strange post. Why do you take things so personally? It's not all about you.

Having spent a few months in various parts of the country, I have experienced all sorts of weather phenomena from droughts to cyclones. It seems nowhere had perfect weather this summer, so you are no different to others and have suffered far less damage than some.

My autumn will be, once again, spent on the air and on the road. I may get home some times but not for cauliflower.

lazkaz, Mar 13, 7:41am
ditto - cauli is a winter veg so why would you buy out of season and at that price, i also have a random pumpkin growing - look forward to that. Seasonal veg and fruit is just that, and probably what we need at the time.

buzzy110, Mar 16, 3:46am
Excuse me but I have just read this thread and uli was responding to another poster who said this - "I don't understand why people have to buy veges that are out of season and so expensive."

Your and the other poster's subsequent attacks were petty when all she was doing was pointing out which vegetables are currently in season and should be available in shops at a reasonable price.

It would be very nice if pettiness and trying to victimise other posters was not a part of these threads anymore. Just a thought.

samanya, Mar 16, 3:56am
Are you targeting me?
Perhaps you will tell that to your 'friend' . & maybe another time read posts with an unbiased mindset . please check out # 38 & tell me if any other poster has been so rude!

buzzy110, Mar 16, 3:56am
Is keeping up a vendetta more important than discussing the horrendous price of cauliflower and seasonal vegetables?

If cauliflower is seen by you as rather an insignificant subject then find another thread that interests you better.

At present I have not yet found a cauliflower at a price I am prepared to pay. Maybe tomorrow at the markets I may have better luck. The area I live in grows vegetables that supply the whole of NZ and I can usually pick up good supplies, cheaply, at the local Saturday market but cauliflower has been conspicuous either by its absence, expense or condition. Neither PnS or Countdown had stocks last time I visited let alone at nearly $10.

Uli's skill in the garden is enviable.