Those Dang Cheese Rolls

Page 2 / 2
fifie, May 27, 7:48am
Made heaps like this for tour buses pulling in to the tearooms would grill them and put them in pie warmer ready to go about 20 mins before they were due to arrive, always crunchy and tasty serve spread with lashings of butter. just make up a amount you want.
In a bowl put grated tasty cheese, some finely diced onion and mix together. Then add boiling water and stir until the mix is a LITTLE bit on the sloppy side. Let the mix sit for a while until it cools and becomes spreadable then spread a good laying on very fresh thin bread (white or brown) crusts off, roll up and toast under the grill.

tjharris, May 27, 9:44am
I use a can of reduced cream, a packet of onion soup, lots of cheese, heated gently in the microwave until the cheese melts. Spread thickly over fresh white sandwich bread, roll. And grill, or cook on a sandwich press.

dibble35, May 27, 6:22pm
I was wondering about the crusts and butter side of it. I made these last night, well a few, and although delicious it seemed a bit fiddly buttering one side, filling, then rolling with the crusts on, they sort of stuck out at all angles, maybe not fresh enough bread but I did only buy it yesterday. So no butter till after they are cooked?

malcovy, May 27, 7:43pm
Butter only once the cheese roll has been toasted. You can cut the crusts off and they used to do this many years ago but don't appear to do this today. I have been known to use a rolling pin over 4 slices off bread in a line to soften the crusts. I leave the 4 slices of bread in a line and quickly spread mix over and roll up and pile them together while I make rest. I hope this makes sense.

harrislucinda, May 27, 9:00pm
i use reduced cream as well lovely on toast not rolled

harrislucinda, May 27, 9:01pm
yes i agree just brought some and no filling

olwen, May 27, 9:09pm
In the 60s and 70s they had an earlier version of a press that sort of pressed and grilled them.

fifie, May 27, 9:20pm
No butter till after they are cooked, secret is good fresh bread, ive found some of the s/m bread is day old we get it dosent roll as good. If making a heap we get couplands bread nice and fresh. Can leave the crusts on, seems to be the way these days, as someone said roll over a few slices at a time with the rolling pin makes them easier to roll.

timturtle, May 27, 9:59pm
It's been ages since I made cheese rolls but I think we cut off the long side crusts only so the short ends still had crusts which added to the crunch factor when eating and only butter was lashings after they were toasted

gabbysnana, May 27, 10:35pm
Made them following the recipe but they were too runny. Binned the whole lot, wont make them again.

rainrain1, May 27, 11:25pm
Not sure which recipe you mean, but why didn't you add more cheese to make it thicker, or thicken the mixture with a bit of cornflour? Such waste.

harrislucinda, May 28, 1:33am
dont understand how the mixture would runny ? yes more cheese would have thickened what a waste of ingreds
the top recipes say 1 tin then 1 cup cream that would make sloppy

lythande1, May 28, 3:03am
Wrong cheese.
Condensed milk? No.
Cream, no.
Sorry.

½ cup Water, boiling
1 packet Onion soup mix, approx 30g
1 splash Red onion, finely chopped
2½ cups Grated tasty or other aged cheddar cheese
20 slices sandwich bread
25 g Butter

holly-rocks, May 28, 3:12am
Just because it’s not a recipe you wouldn’t use doesn’t make it wrong and there is no need to be rude about it!

Also you need to clean your glasses, no where in rainrains post does it mention condensed milk.

rainrain1, May 28, 5:46am
It's not my recipe, it was copied from the ODT on the day it was printed for whoever might like to give it a go. I have never made it!

Condensed milk LMAO :-)))

olwen, May 28, 5:57am
We used to call evaporated milk unsweetened condensed milk about 60 years ago,

rainrain1, May 28, 6:26am
Big difference for a cheese roll though. I'm still chuckling over that booboo

olwen, May 28, 6:38am
True.

Bought cheese, onion soup and evaporated cream today. Forgot bread. Maybe just as well because I'm short on freezer space. Think sandwiches to toast in cat iron pan are the way to go when (if) I get round to this.

dibble35, May 28, 8:34pm
ok thanks guys, last question, I know you can freeze the made up rolls ready for cooking. But I still have the ingredients in the fridge to make up the other half of the mix, evap. milk, cream, etc. no more room in the freezer for made up rolls. so can i make up the cheese mix and freeze that or am i better off freezing the cream and evap. milk separately? Tia

rainrain1, May 30, 4:34am

fifie, May 30, 6:23am
Not cheese rolls, but sliced onions caramelised with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar, slices Brie, and couple slices of pre cooked streaky bacon in between slices sour dough bread, toasted in frypan in little butter is good.

korbo, Sep 11, 2:45am
. what a great event