Lamb shanks in crockpot - What do you add?

Page 2 / 3
lythande1, Dec 19, 7:58pm
Don't worry about it, use Creme Fraiche. It's thick and designed for cooking.

davidt4, Dec 19, 9:50pm
I am not the slightest bit interested in making that recipe - I agree with fisher's comments. I was merely interested by the suggestion of double cream, as I have never known it to be available in NZ. And obviously it still isn't.

And yes thank you, I do know what creme fraiche is; I sometimes make my own.

male_timaru, Dec 20, 3:27am
Anchor thickened cream available in supermarkets - similar product but is just single cream with gelatine added - double/clotted cream is easy enough to make!

What do restaurants around NZ use instead of Double cream then? You cannot use single cream instead - totally different texture, feel and end product

male_timaru, Dec 20, 3:34am
DOUBLE/CLOTTED CREAM

All you need to do is buy full fat milk from the supermarket and a bottle of pouring cream.
You need 2 parts milk to 1 part cream
(1 litre cream for every 2 litres milk)
Heat the mix on the lowest temperature for at least 5 hours.
A yellow skin will form.
Put the pan in the fridge overnight.
In the morning, skim the clots of cream off the top and store in the fridge.
You should be left with nice creamy milk as well.

MAKE IT YOURSELF GUYS AND GALS - Double/clotted is much richer and better tasting

TRY IT AND SEE

indy95, Dec 20, 3:58am
Sultana0, could you tell me where you buy lamb shanks for $2 each, please ?

male_timaru, Dec 20, 4:03am
Date a butcher or farmer hahaaaaa

indy95, Dec 20, 4:42am
An interesting suggestion, male_timaru, if not particularly original. However, my husband does not appear to be in favour of your suggestion so I must reject it, without a trace of regret I might add.

fisher, Dec 20, 5:01am
Hey indy have a great Xmas... maybe Sultana0 will come back and let you know. . wish I could find some. . 9. 90 for two up here and not overly large... male_timaru , someone in motoring might need you. . then maybe not... :}}

indy95, Dec 20, 5:09am
Thank you fisher, and I hope you have a very enjoyable Christmas too. It's a shame about the rocketing price of all these cuts which were one considered to be economical. I can remember for instance when pigs heads could be bought many years ago for 50 cents each, but although I longer buy factory farmed pork I imagine the price has gone sky high since they became " fashionable " like lamb shanks.

fisher, Dec 20, 5:30am
I was moaning when shanks were 4 for 10. 00 bucks and good size ones as well. . now so expensive as they become more popular from cooking shows...
Pigs head the other day was 5. 00 bucks in my butchers. .
Ox tails were another I loved that has put me off buying because of price as are lamb neck chops getting dearer each week...
thank god for my vege garden heheheheee...

sultana0, Dec 20, 6:52am
Harris Meats in Cuba Str Palmy North is where you can get shanks for 2 bucks, Our work has weekly meat raffles and we get our meat from there

indy95, Dec 20, 7:21pm
Thank you for that sultana0, you have saved me lot of phoning. I hope you have a very happy Christmas.

male_timaru, Dec 21, 1:14am
Ever tried making double/clotted cream?

Try it and see the advantage in richness in flavour

fisher, Dec 21, 3:46am
um. . nothing new. . that recipe has been on my website for the last 5 years... so go figure. .

male_timaru, Dec 21, 4:30am
what is your website - that is from Ceserani and Kinton! ! THE BIBLE OF COOKERY

davidt4, Dec 21, 5:15am
The better restaurants in NZ have long since moved on from that old-fashioned hotel catering style of cooking where everything is swamped in cream. Obviously you haven't.

male_timaru, Dec 21, 5:40am
Sorry learned my catering in UK - so sorry not to be up to your hoity toity recipes ! ! ! !

Far out! ! We don't Cake it on or soak it! ! It is just added for richness of flavour and is hardly bad for you in the quantities i have suggested! ! lol

Got a chip on shoulder much? lololol

Only a recipe! ! Old school cookery methods! !

male_timaru, Dec 21, 5:41am
So explain in your HIGH CLASS RESTAURANT how you make desserts requiring double cream for fluffiness and richness - what do you use? Please don't say single cream with gelatine thickened stuff?

davidt4, Dec 21, 7:41am
Creme Fraiche

male_timaru, Dec 21, 7:43am
Really? omg i hate the stuff - lolsuppose it comes down to what you like and are used to at the end of the day - i was taught 1992-1996 in UK so have differing style and recipes to you guys and gals here in NZ

Each to their own i suppose! !

male_timaru, Dec 21, 7:44am
OMG sorry - re-reading this didn't come across how i intended at all - it came across really snobby and rude sorry again - meant to be said in a Ricky Gervais voice - if you know what i mean - in a jokking not rude way! ! lol

fisher, Dec 21, 7:53am
uk catering school has a lot to answer for ... errrhow is there a different "style and recipes"... . ? ? ?

male_timaru, Dec 21, 7:56am
we cook in a different manner - have noticed quite a few differences in the way food is prepared and so on really!

Not hugely different - more the 'richness' and so on of food to be honest more than anything else

Butchery foods are different here, as too are the dairy stuffDifficult to put into words - more of a taste thing

Needless to say most of the food i buy when out and about is usually cooked by UK chefs or UK trained Kiwis! ! ! lol

fisher, Dec 21, 8:07am
give me strength... and you know this how? ? ? ?
second thoughts... dont bother... its all too hard... :}}

male_timaru, Dec 21, 8:45am
Only for you - You seem hellbent on TRYING to get into an argument about something

I know what i am saying - you're obviously on the defensive about SOMETHING lololol

I haven't enjoyed that much Kiwi Food! I live in a town where there are more International chefs than Kiwi ones and therefore it can be easily said that if i only like the food especially from 1 of those places ... . .

ERGO ... ... .

Benny's Again (Top of Otpiua Road, Gelniti, Waiiti Rod for those interested in Timaru)

LAMB SHANKS - amazing!