My Christmas Food Bag or Bargain Box

Page 2 / 2
summersunnz, Nov 10, 8:57am
With my food bag, etc., there would probably be new recipes to make, maybe foods that you don't eat - whereas you could shop online at Countdown (does New World have online shopping now?) and have it delivered for what you really enjoy to eat at Christmas.

danielle216, Nov 10, 9:55am
We got a Christmas bargain box last year and it was fantastic. The quality and range of foods were amazing and it was so good not having to think and organise every dish! We had 9 adults and 6 kids and there were leftovers

sarahb5, Nov 11, 9:13pm
Yes I could - I’ve been doing exactly that for the last 16 years. I have checked the menus - nothing there that will be wasted

sarahb5, Nov 11, 9:15pm
Exactly - just less to think about in the run up to Christmas when I suspect I will be working until the last minute

buzzy110, Nov 11, 9:55pm
Just do it. You have everything to gain as you like the food selection and do away with planning and shopping and nothing to lose.

Having the recipes (and probably pictures) and all the ingredients for each recipe means that the family can be left to make one recipe each on the day. This would save you even more work and let you enjoy Christmas Day more by not having sole responsibility for menu and instruction on how you envisage each dish.

And if, after trying it, you think you may be able to do better then next year you will not have to wonder whether to do MFB or go it 'alone'. It doesn't strike me as being overly expensive. I spend more.

uli, Nov 12, 2:18am
yes you could have something to lose. Their delivery service had some severe problems lately (I am not sure if it was just in Auckland ?).
If that happens before Xmas then you are stuffed I guess.

trah, Nov 13, 7:57am
That was only in Auckland , and has now been sorted.

huca1, Nov 13, 8:12am
we did it once a few years ago and it was a disaster (my food bag)

took forever to prepare, like forever, so long we abandoned cooking half the food

the box was incomplete i told them before Christmas and am still waiting for an apology never mind what was missing! Sure it wasn't the turkey but that's not the point is it?

it wasn't that nice eg the instructions insisted about 5 times not to cover the turkey, I worried about it and kept looking/basting etc. but thought they would be right.
sure enough the turkey was as dry as a bone.

quantity was fine (but there certainly wasn't he usual amount of Christmas leftovers you can eat for a week)

havn't touched my food bag since

i agree with those who say it was expensive and you could do better but we had various things going on which meant it just wasn't happening.

huca1, Dec 4, 11:11am
the one we did certainly wouldn't have fed 6 people for 4 days (not sure it would if 5 of them were toddlers)

we still wanted the odd mince pie/celebrations/cheese and crackers etc that we usually have around Christmas so it didn't take away the need for that for us.