Silly question, but what the heck

Page 1 / 2
rainrain1, Oct 12, 8:28pm
I had a chicken curry with almonds the other day, and it had a taste and aroma through it that I can't quite put my finger on, so to speak. Kind of a distinctive sweet spicy smell. I know I should know what it is. Any thought on the matter curry fans? It was so dam delicious.

autumnwinds, Oct 13, 4:38am
Very hard - impossible, even - to give an opinion without knowing what you put in. could be one of the curry spices, who can tell.

However, if you have the time to put the recipe up, maybe we could make an educated guess?

rainrain1, Oct 13, 5:03am
I haven't got the recipe, I am trying to create the taste of something I bought at a café, I don't know what went into it,. but no worries, thought it might be worth a gamble to ask. Cheers!

samanya, Oct 13, 5:31am
david4t . might be the one to know.

pgta, Oct 13, 5:43am
Mango

punkinthefirst, Oct 13, 6:59am
Could be any number of things, including pickled ginger, chutney, some sauce or other, fruit.
Good excuse to go back and try it again. ask for the recipe this time.

awoftam, Oct 13, 7:03am
Garam masala?

devonwrecked, Oct 13, 7:33am
Cardamon?

rainrain1, Oct 13, 7:38am
It's a very long way from The Catlins to Wellington. besides, they wouldn't give the recipe, meanie old Wellington .
I'm thinking Garam Masala thanks awoftam, Maybe I didn't put enough in mine.

rainrain1, Oct 13, 7:44am
I've been out sniffing all my spices. it's cardamon, thanks so much.

awoftam, Oct 13, 7:49am
Ah. That would have been my second guess. I love cardamom; its just wonderful.

rainrain1, Oct 13, 7:53am
Is sure is, and I will be using it more often from now on. in the meantime I will enjoy just sniffing it, it's that good!

awoftam, Oct 13, 8:26am
I make barfi with cardamom. so yummy.

davidt4, Oct 13, 8:27am
Cardamom is my favourite spice. You can use it in sweet dishes as well, e.g. rice pudding. It goes really well with chocolate, and I make a chocolate cardamom jelly which is heavenly.

autumnwinds, Oct 13, 10:07am
Glad you got your answer

I have a tiny mortar and pestle I got from "The Red Shed" that I keep just for crushing cardamon seeds. because I use them in sweet as well as savory dishes, and don't want some of the other curry flavours to spoil a sweet dish. Lovely spice.

rainrain1, Oct 13, 6:09pm
Do you have a recipe for chicken, with almonds and cardamom? The one I ate at the café did not have a runny sauce, it was dry and held together when cold inside a croissant, they heated it up for us. it was so dam good.

devonwrecked, Oct 13, 7:07pm
That sounds like a lamb biryani I had once. Try a chicken biryani recipe - they are "dry" rather than sloppy. I love cardamon, as you've probably guessed. I put it in some melon jam I made once, and it was divine.

rainrain1, Oct 14, 5:41am
I have it sussed, thanks for your comments.

awoftam, Oct 14, 7:04am
Goodness. that sounds stunning! Is it a jam jelly or a jelly like a pudding jelly?

davidt4, Oct 14, 7:40am
A pudding. I can put up the recipe tomorrow if you are interested.

awoftam, Oct 14, 8:50am
Oh yes please I would love you to. I find your recipes very inspiring. Thank you.

rainrain1, Oct 14, 6:20pm
Crushing the seeds. do you mean the pods, or are there seeds as well? I'm kind of new to DIY curries

devonwrecked, Oct 14, 7:38pm
It depends how you buy them. They come in pods, which you split open and remove the seeds to crush them. But the ones in the supermarket are usually just the seeds, which you can partly crush to enhance the flavour. The pods are cheaper but more fiddly. They are about the size of a small pea.

rainrain1, Oct 14, 8:11pm
Yes I have some pods, but have never used them yet, I think there will be no stopping me now. Quantities of cardamon to let's say 500gr of chicken is going to be my next silly question? I would hate to spoil a good thing by adding too much

davidt4, Oct 14, 8:59pm
It's not customary to use cardamom by itself in a savoury dish, it's used mostly with other spices. If you are new to making curries then it's probably best to find a proper recipe that includes cardamom, that will help you get used to including it. About 1 tsp of seeds (from about 6 pods) would be about right in a curry of 500g meat, plus the other spices.

Don't buy powdered cardamom, it doesn't last well and usually has little flavour.

I will start a cardamom thread for recipes.