Cooking Wiener Schnitzel

Page 2 / 3
madoof1, Mar 29, 4:43am
We had pre crumbed snitzel from count down last night. Goodness knows what it was,, the meat was thick chewy, and grissely. I guess if they crumb it they can call it what they want. I was just being lazy, next time I will crumb myself.

sla11, Mar 29, 9:43pm
Untried, but told by friend that milk softens meat - her Mother In Law always did her WS by dipping in flour, milk, crumbs. I do mine with egg, throw into freezer for 10mins or so after crumbing, then into fridge until I quick fry in Rice Bran Oil with knob of butter (to brown it). Always a winner. I complain if meat is cut too thick! Doesn't come out so well. Usually do it in roasting dish on element so I can get it all done quicker. Good Luck.

rainrain1, Mar 29, 10:54pm
lol you will need a lot of crumbs for that

baalamb, Mar 30, 12:04am
My late father always used to say, 'why do you think they crumb it for you? So you cant see what's underneath!' Sometimes I suspect he may have been dead right.

bohemian4, Mar 30, 3:45am
I never use beef but mostly fish or chicken breasts. I coat in flower, dip in egg and then bread crumbs. Fry in oil until colour change.

dorothy_vdh, Mar 30, 4:51am
if you have a sandwich press cook it in that, both sides cook at once so a shorter cooking period

bohemian4, Mar 30, 5:37am
Just had fish snitzels for tea being Good Friday. Perfect.

fruitbat, Mar 30, 5:43am
Use lots of butter and olive to fry the stuff. don't be afraid.

madoof1, Apr 2, 9:45am
Very good

cosimo, Apr 3, 2:59am
I always hit the schnitzels with the back of my big knife, so it cuts through some of the fibres, but not all the way through. Don't cook it for too long - lean meat gets tougher the longer it's cooked.

littleblackhen, Jun 22, 8:41pm
I've used master foods honey soy,garlic marinade,pour over the amount you need for the amount of steak your cooking,I do 6 and put them in the air fryer for 6mins,beautiful and moist,serve them with a salad,or veggies and mashed potatoes

cleggyboy, Jun 22, 10:02pm
Never buy crumbed or marinated meat it hides a multitude of sins.

intrade, Jun 22, 10:44pm
some tips wiener schnitzel and french fries was my vaforite food as a kid.
Now to have true good recepies you will need to translate them from german . The 3 country switzerland germany and austria would have winer schnitzel. while i dont know the origin of who came up with it id say the swiss did. as ze germans invented Toast hawai . it did not get invented in hawai so i doubt the best winer schnitzel was actuarly from wien-austraia as it implies . could be and recepies from these 3 country will be the most accurate way on making it.
real ones are made from veal calf meet. bash it to 2mm thickness
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3CjIfjMPV4 https://www.google.com/search?q=schweitzer++winer+schnizel&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-ab

blueviking, Jun 22, 10:53pm
Just bought some more from pak'n at $10.99kg. Some of it was cut quite thick. Crumbed, cooked and eaten. Even the wife asked for more.Going back to buy more. Oil & butter. keep the pan hot.

intrade, Jun 22, 10:54pm
it maybe orignal from austria but any of the 3 country will have the original recepie.
https://www.austria.info/uk/things-to-do/food-and-drink/favourite-austrian-recipes/wiener-schnitzel

intrade, Jun 22, 10:55pm
going back for more knowing the food mafia it will now be 33.99 a kilo

danpsmith, Jun 22, 11:02pm
The problem I find is it's very hard to find veal in most butchers unless you pre order.
If it's made with beef it will never go proper melt in your mouth tender the way a real weiner schnitzel should

blueviking, Jun 23, 10:11pm
No, it was still 10.99 and they had pork belly for 10.99 as well. So tried my 1st pork belly.

porsh_a, Jun 23, 10:18pm
I use a lidded frying pan. Put a small knob of butter in to melt - just enough to coat the surface and stop the schnitzel from sticking to the frying pan. I then lightly brown both sides of the schnitzel (add more butter for the second side if necessary), then turn the heat right down to low and put the lid on - leaving for approximately 15 - 20 minutes. This "steaming" type of effect keeps the meat nice and moist and means you don't end up with a tough or rubbery schnitzel at the end.

sla11, Jun 23, 10:37pm
Never ever "beat" mine. Cut into squarish size so can fry 4 at a time. Make own breadcrumbs. Flour first, coat with egg, then crumb. Throw into freezer 10 mins or so then into fridge until cooking. Hot and fast in Rice Bran Oil with knob of butter, into oven to stay warm until eating time. I actually complain sometimes that Pak'nSave cut theirs too thick! Everyone loves it and any left over in bread the next day a winner. Maybe practice makes perfect but I don't muck about with it too much at all.

lythande1, Jun 24, 12:56am
Make sure it is thin to start with. If not, use a meat hammer, but really, thin is the key.

Heat the pan hot, oil butter whatever.
Fry rapidly, till the crumbs are golden brown, if the pan is hot, it will cook quickly. Don't steam it, the minute that happens it's over. think stir fry heat.

smallwoods, Jun 24, 10:47am
Just grilled some bacon in the oven for pumpkin soup.
Then put the schnitzel on the pan grill with the bacon fat under it back into the oven and turned the oven OFF.
Left it there for about 10 minutes, turning once.
Was melt in the mouth soft.
Must say it was our home kill, aged for 28 days before cutting up though.

beaker59, Jun 25, 10:32am
I lay the schnitzel on a wooden board then use the back of my chefs knife to beat the meat (that's one of the reasons its flat across the back) turn the meat and repeat then in a bowl beat an egg with lots of salt. Drop the meat in toss and allow to soak before breadcrumbs (no flour) fry in butter and oil 50/50. yumm

gardner12, Jul 11, 4:45am
I use hot to near smoking fat not oil and make sure that you crumb it long enough before hand and chill. then the crumbs stay on, have a hot oven ready if you are cooking for a family, the actual cooking process is really just a minute each side

samanya, Aug 2, 1:03am
This!
I always use a heap of fresh herbs in the fresh crumb mix . mostly parsley, sage, thyme, chives, oreganum, . with a smaller amount of borage, comfrey etc, or whatever you have available & think would work for your taste buds (& the secret is a bit of curry powder into the crumbs, thanks Dame Alison) . then flour, egg, crumbs & leave for a while, fry in a hot oil butter mix, until golden,(not very long) then onto paper towels to mop off any excess oil & enjoy.