Like Chai Lattes? Make Your Own - easy as!

nickyd, Oct 29, 7:20am
Hi, I know this thread is old but hoping Willyow could confirm that 55 cardamon pods is correct? (and not a typo) - to me that seems an awful lot, but then I've never tried to make Chai spice before
Otherwise, does anyone else have any tried and true Chai spice recipes. I'm not a fan at all, but my husband is.
Thanks

willyow, Oct 30, 7:49pm
I gave up coffee and as a replacement discovered Chai Latte but the cost of the chai powders in the supermarkets is a bit rich. I've experimented with a few recipes - you can add a whole lot of milk power if you want - we do'nt. We make it with real milk
Recipe
55 Cardamon pods
1 teaspoon red peppercorns (optional)
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
2 tablespoons fennel seeds
2 teaspoons coriander seeds
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
2 Star Anise
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger powder OR 3 tablespoons of finely chopped candied ginger
1 Cup coconut sugar - (or muscavado)
Optional - 1 1/2/ cups full cream milk powder

Put everything (EXCEPT Candied Ginger & Coconut sugar) in a heavy small pan on the stove over a medium heat for five-seven minutes ( your house will smell like an Indian restaurant for the next hour).
Let it cool - then use a coffee grinder to turn it into a fine powder ( `if you haven't got one try crushing the spices with a rolling pin.

Tips - cinnamon tens to float on the top - experiment without it.
To make a Chai Latte - heat half a cup of milk in a microwave, add a heaped teaspoon of the powder mix, top with boiling water.
For some reason without milk I reckon it doesn't taste that good - the more milk, the better it tastes. I am a heavy user and the above lasts about two weeks.
Get your spices from a local Indian fruit and vege shop - they are a fraction the price you pay in supermarkets.
To make a vanilla chai latte mix. pour one teaspoon of vanilla extract ( the real stuff) over the sugar, stir in well, and place in oven on a low heat for a while until has dried out ( nice for sprinkling on baking such as muffins too!).

sarahb5, Oct 31, 1:29am
I buy chai tea (not the powdered variety but actual chai flavoured black tea from T2) and just add milk and or honey - perfect

samanya, Oct 31, 3:55am
Willyow . since Chai means tea, I'm a little confused, the flavours sound like a great combination, but is there no tea in this brew?

sarahb5, Oct 31, 4:08am
There is in the one I buy (either this one or the one from T2)
https://www.tleaft.co.nz/flavoured-black-tea/chai-black-tea.html

samanya, Oct 31, 4:33am
That sounds great. It just occurred to me that the spice mix would be good to give as a gift.

samanya, Oct 31, 6:38am
Thanks sarah, appreciate your reply, but I like the idea of making my own spices/brew . I was thinking of making it for Christmas gifts, but I want similar spices as willyow gave, but with tea in it.

sarahb5, Oct 31, 7:25am
You could start with a basic loose black tea and add your spices and seasoning to that

samanya, Oct 31, 7:45am
Yep, I might experiment, with willyow's suggestions & add tea . wonder how green tea would go . the people I want to make it for like green tea.

sarahb5, Oct 31, 7:55am
I tried a sample of the chai green tea from T Leaf - it was horrible even though I like green tea

harrislucinda, Oct 31, 8:46am
Nadi put up a spice turmeric latta which I love
has not got all those spices I drink hot or cold today I put chai seed in

samanya, Oct 31, 10:10pm
I was thinking ordinary green tea with the above spice mix.

sarahb5, Oct 31, 10:34pm
Which is basically what the emerald chai from T Leaf is - not good IMHO

samanya, Nov 1, 12:36am
Oh, OK thanks

jayimu, Nov 1, 1:25am
I think it must be 25 cardamom pods. The recipe is double this very similar one which also adds the black tea. http://www.thekitchn.com/edible-gift-idea-the-best-chai-132784

buzzy110, Nov 1, 1:27am
Try willyow's mix with matcha and see how it tastes.

samanya, Nov 1, 2:11am
Now you're talking.

willyow, Nov 2, 10:41pm
Do you mean Chia ( not Chai) seeds?

lindylambchops1, Nov 3, 2:00am
At some cafe's in Melbourne 'Golden Latte's' are available, hot milk with turmeric, ginger and honey. Tastes good too.

Rasin11

harrislucinda, Nov 3, 6:11am
ok got the ia or ai wrong way round you know what I meant

harrislucinda, Nov 3, 6:14am
it seems I do have the ai may u are wrong

gabbysnana, Dec 7, 7:40am
Chai