What do you put in sausage rolls

Page 2 / 2
petal1955, Apr 24, 4:11am
Valentino alwyas in his opinion has the betyter solution. Some people come on to this message board to ask and seek ideas.and with HIm anything that is not his own thinking he slams.I think he and Uli are cut from the same cloth. Some of us learn from people with experience and when you get self righteous people like valentino and Uli the underdog (inexperienced person cook) is so put off my the remarks they dont ask.and that is a pity.cause in my books some like myself are only to happy to share what knowledge with have with those than are inexperienced.hopefully making them more conifdent

sossie1, Apr 24, 4:13am
Oh no, having flashbacks to the infamous Aoli thread from years ago

sossie1, Apr 24, 4:14am
Someone had the gall to post that they modified a store bought mayonnaise!

valentino, Apr 24, 4:17am
Sorry but this thought never enters, in fact TI quite often noted that others will come forth with their thoughts but never did I slam anyone until Buzzy above. I don't normally do this.

Cheers.

valentino, Apr 24, 4:20am
For a Finale.

And here is an oldie but a real humdinger. Oh, comes from the old Radio TVNZ cookbook edited by a young Alison Holst.

Sausage Roll Ultimate
1 – 2 cups frozen veges
1 Medium Onion Chopped
500 grams flaky pastry
500 grams sausage meat
½ tsp salt
2 tsp curry powder
1 egg.

Veges and onion into a saucepan with little water and cook for about 5 minutes until veges just soften. Cool.
Roll Pastry to a rectangular shape about 38cm x 20cm, place on sponge roll tin.
Mix sausage meat veges drained and all other ingredients together.
Spread on half of pastry and roll over like a big sausage roll.
Seal edges.
Bake at 190C for 45 minutes or until browned.

buzzy110, Apr 24, 5:02am
What is wrong with modifying store bought anything? I certainly wouldn't object as I don't believe that lots of store bought edibles have even a passing resemblance to what is homemade.

Lately I have seen another poster strenuously and regularly support homemade over store bought in various threads. No one has yet attacked her for that stance and I hope they don't.

sunnysue1, Apr 24, 6:34am
Gosh. I thought I had fallen into Parenting. Lol

korbo, Apr 24, 7:04am
. sounds great. I have the dumpling moulds, what pastry do you use?

korbo, Apr 24, 7:08am
well. the sausage meat I had was rather wet. so added, grated carrot, apple, 1 egg, sweet chilli sauce, mixed herbs and handfil of potato flakes. was super tasty.

nauru, Apr 24, 7:34am
I make my own shortcrust pastry as we much prefer that to any others, if time poor then I will use the lower fat ready rolled flaky pastry. I have also used the ready made dumpling wrappers for the little pasties too, they were rather nice.

awoftam, Apr 24, 8:32am
That's interesting as I usually used flaky puff however decided today to try shortcrust as I reckon it will be better for the meaty sausie rolls I make - more 'robust' if that makes sense.

korbo, Apr 24, 9:36am
thanks nauru

karlymouse, Apr 24, 12:03pm
No that sounds awful. anyone adding mixed vegetables to anything needs a special mention in crimes committed in recipes.

eljayv, Apr 24, 10:29pm
Yes, and that is where a certain poster commented that you can catch gluten intolerance from the internet. Not helpful, even if it was a poor attempt at humour.

eljayv, Apr 24, 10:30pm
Or just sarcasm

suziebee, Apr 24, 11:46pm
Mix sausage meat with Onion and Sage Stuffing mix, before folding the pastry put boiled eggs on top, then fold. Nice with mashed potatoes and vegies for tea.

nauru, Apr 25, 7:49am
Yes, it does make sense, I think that's why we prefer it to flaky or puff pastry. How were your SR's?

awoftam, Apr 25, 8:09am
They were so scrummy. OMG I ate too many. I always do. My achilles heel.

samanya, Apr 26, 2:05am
You may consider it awful, others may not, so that's why it's good to have all sorts of variation/recipes, where each person can use their discernment.
It doesn't appeal to me either, but who knows?
It's not for you or me to judge.

awoftam, Apr 26, 9:41am
That made me lol.

karlymouse, Apr 26, 11:18am
My son had cooking lessons as school and came home complaining the teacher made them put sultanas in sausage rolls. I agreed with his complaint . but then found out they were catering for the school rugby club tournament so figured those guys wouldn't notice.

buzzy110, Apr 26, 11:47pm
Sultanas in sausage rolls! What a pity that is what they are teaching in schools.

Once upon a time the humble Christmas mince pie that is now made with a dried fruit, spice, alcohol and, maybe suet or some other fat, mix, depending on what you want in it, used to be made with both fruit and spices and meat. So maybe this nutritionally suspect combination is making a slow comeback. Oh dear. I hope not.

But I also vaguely recall that up until recently, there were people who thought that a curry consisted of a stew with added curry powder and lashings of dried fruit. I remember someone asking me what other dried or fresh fruits she should add to her curry and my mouth just puckered up in what I can only think was despair. I had no reply and told her that the dried fruit she had already added was sufficient, and no, I couldn't make it for dinner after all.

rainrain1, Apr 27, 12:42am
Hmm, visualizing your puckered mouth Buzzy, and thinking maybe it's lucky for her you didn't turn up :-)))

samanya, Sep 29, 10:49pm
I reckon!