Home made sausage rolls.

Page 1 / 2
awoftam, Sep 5, 8:36am
Are the best! Had some unexpected visitors late this afternoon. had some sausage meat, pastry and next thing you know boom bang ba! A great snack was cooking away in the oven. Simple is best - went down a treat. There is one left. it is calling to me.

daarhn, Sep 5, 8:48am
'Piggies in a blanket Piggies in a blanket' was what the granddaughter would sing out when asked what menu she would like for her bday parties. The grownups would also time it right and somehow know when a fresh batch came out of the oven.

lythande1, Sep 5, 7:08pm
I make my own, minced onion, sausage meat and fresh picked sage.

pinnochio1, Sep 5, 8:40pm
I make mixed herb stuffing, mix that into the sausage meat, it gives a new dimension to sausage rolls

kaddiew, Sep 5, 9:06pm
Grated apple makes a nice addition.

fifie, Sep 5, 10:03pm
Grated carrot,apple,onion fresh chopped herbs, pinch curry powder, takes them to another level.

sampa, Sep 5, 10:30pm
I find I 'need' sausage rolls now. yum. male person will be impressed when I present him with a batch. Thanks for the inspiration for lunch. :)

Of course if there's too much sausage meat Scotch Eggs may also have to get a look in. poor man. ;-)

rainrain1, Sep 5, 11:49pm
Now I want.

lythande1, Sep 6, 1:57am
Hmmm, might try that - add a few extra herbs as well.
I grow various of them.
Yum. haven't had sausage rolls for ages, off to do some now.

awoftam, Sep 6, 2:55am
My sausie rolls are just sausage meat, mixed herbs, a few fresh bread crumbs, egg and onion. And I sprinkle them with sesame seeds. I have done pork and fennel before, they are awesome too.

aj.2., Sep 6, 3:26am
As does pineapple , .adds a bit of moisture , so that they not so dry.
Use it in meat loaf as well.

nauru, Sep 6, 7:30am
I add grated carrot, zucchini (when in season), pumpkin, finely chopped onion, ground sage and some oat bran to my sausage meat for sausage rolls or mini pies. My Grandies love them and don't see the added veges.

awoftam, Sep 6, 8:36am
Ha ha! Sneaky Nana! Brilliant.

happen, Sep 6, 9:00am
The best sausage rolls I ever had were made from gravy beef poked through the mincer (twice) and fresh hand made pastry !
OMG they were so melt-in-the-mouth delicieux !

parsondian, Sep 6, 10:07pm
Now that Luigi (gf) sausage meat is good, it's all pork, the other Hellers brand is a mix of beef and pork, not so nice in my opinion, I use a mix half sausage meat and half pork mince, season it, little grated onion, and some tomato relish. I had queues at the pie warmer come smoko.

399, Sep 7, 1:59am
I use some soya, Worchester and sweet chilli sauce plus carrot and onion. Yummy beat any brought ones.

wasgonna, Sep 7, 2:20am
Isn't it great when decent food is discussed without someone wanting vegetarian, gluten-free, low salt, sugar-free, butter-free, tasteless food.

awoftam, Sep 7, 2:56am
Ohhhhhhh have written that one down! Have written most of the ideas down lol I'd eat sausage rolls every day if my waistline could handle it. Pretty much my fav food.

kaddiew, Sep 7, 8:03pm
On an Australian lifestyle programme yesterday there was a Spanish chef doing his take on a Spanish "fathers day" sausage roll -- chorizo, pork, fennel, garlic, smoked paprika, manchego cheese and pistachios.

pinnochio1, Sep 7, 8:11pm
I would love to know how this went for you.

pinnochio1, Sep 7, 8:17pm
Well we're on the same page! Maybe for different reasons though.

rainrain1, Sep 8, 2:29am
Sausage rolls
500g sausage meat
500g mince
1 carrot grated
1 red onion and one white onion, 2 cloves garlic chopped up in the food processor with a bunch of parsley
1/4 cup Worcester sauce
1/2 cup tomato sauce
1 teaspoon Vegeta stock powder
1 cup grated cheese
Mix this together with your hands and make your sausage rolls with puff pastry. Brush them with beaten egg before baking at 200 degC until golden brown.

nauru, Sep 8, 6:18am
I watched that today, think it was called "The Living Room" or something similar. Those sausage rolls did look nice too, a little different but I'm not too sure about the addition of cheese, not to my taste.

kaddiew, Sep 8, 7:13am
That's the one, yes : ) I didn't take much notice of the other chef's Croatian version of the sausage roll, but think it had both beef and lamb in it? Could be wrong though!

awoftam, Sep 8, 7:14am
That sounds like a bit of me. YUM