CAULIFLOWER RECIPES

Page 2 / 2
uli, Mar 18, 12:54am
Happy cauli cooking.

davidt4, Mar 18, 7:26am
Are Vignas snake beans? Lovely things.

uli, Mar 18, 8:19am
Yes they are.
I reckon they are nicer than the common Phaseolus vulgaris beans.

Maybe "vulgaris" says it all :)

I even have some seed from a wholesaler (that I haven't sown yet) that are dwarf - the ones I grew this year are climbers and they go to about 4 to 5 meters! Hard to pick - and if you don't they just make seeds for next year and nothing else - so out comes the extension ladder!

They got some sort of rust last month and I thought that is going to be the end of a very lovely and productive summer - but NO - they now make hundreds of side shoots and new flowers, so i will give them some more water and see if we can have a few more kilos (as if we need it - having been inundated with 2 buckets of figs, a few buckets of feijoas, only 1 bucket of chestnuts today! and about 20 hands of bananas) . will need another freezer at this rate!

But back to the caulis - here is another recipe I found today!

uli, Mar 18, 8:20am
". I love roasting cauliflower florets with sliced fennel, thinly sliced red onions, garlic and ginger, extra virgin olive oil and sesame seeds at 180C fan-forced. Toss several times as it cooks and bake until golden. Meanwhile, whisk a few tablespoons tahini with the same amount of lemon juice and a splash olive oil. Once you’ve formed a slurry, mix in either a cup of plain yoghurt or creme fraiche and combine with the roasted cauliflower, lots of shredded mint and parsley. It can be made the day before, but in that case don’t add the tahini dressing. Reheat the cauliflower the next day and toss with the dressing and herbs. "

Peter Gordon

http://www.bite.co.nz/kitchen-tips/ask-peter-gordon/2621/Ask-Peter-Selfcatering/?ref=nzhbox

socram, Mar 18, 8:37am
Just popped into the local veg shop today. One medium cauliflower - $7.99! Guess I won't be doing the cauliflower cheese that I'd planned as a side dish for our guests tomorrow night.

I thought that $2.99 for a half in the supermarket yesterday was bad enough.

uli, Mar 21, 5:32am
Last nights dinner was:

Pomegranate glazed duck on cauliflower fritters (from Amanda Laird)

Ingredients
2 Duck breasts
2 Tbsp Pomegranate molasses

Fritters
1 Cauliflower, small
60 g Besan (chickpea flour)
1 tsp Cumin seeds, roasted
1 tsp Ground turmeric
½ tsp Ginger, ground
1 tsp Ground cardamom
2 tsp Salt
¼ tsp Chilli powder
¼ cup Fresh coriander, chopped
1 Egg, whisked
1 Vegetable oil, for frying
8 servings Greek yoghurt

Preheat oven to 200C. Heat an ovenproof fry pan. Score the skin on the duck breasts. Season and place skin side down. Cook for 5 minutes.

Pour off the fat, then turn over and finish cooking in the oven for 10 minutes. Glaze the breasts with pomegranate molasses then return to the oven for a further 5 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.

To make the fritters: grate the cauliflower into a bowl. Add the other ingredients and mix well.

Form into small fritters. Heat a fry pan and pour in enough vegetable oil to just cover the surface. Fry the fritters in batches until golden brown.

Transfer to paper towels, then arrange on a platter topped with sliced duck and a little yoghurt.

http://www.bite.co.nz/recipe/10934/Pomegranate-glazed-duck-on-cauliflower-fritters/

rainrain1, Mar 21, 6:05am
Where did I read a nice recipe today. umm. will go check, be back in a minute

Salmon and Cauliflower Bake

1/2 a cauliflower
210 tin salmon drained and flaked
3 spring onions, chopped
1 cup grated cheese
1 red capsicum
4 eggs
1 tsp lemon pepper seasoning
1 cup milk
1/2 cup self-raising flour

Heat oven to 200dC. Grease a quiche dish with butter.
Cut cauliflower into florets and cook in boiling water for 2 minutes, drain well. Scatter cauli over the bottom of dish.
Scatter over flaked salmon, spring onion, grated cheese, and chopped capsicum. beat eggs, add milk, flour, and seasonings, whisk to combine.
Pour egg mixture over cauliflower. Bake 30 minutes or till golden brown and set. serve warm, cut into wedges.

marcs, Mar 22, 4:08pm
I was watching MKR here in Auz tonight and they made cauliflower chips and they looked divine and they were crispy. It was florets fried in some crispy batter.

uli, Mar 24, 7:32am
Another person that has no idea that cauli is a cool season vegetable (and NOT "in season" right now!):
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11610721 However here are lovely recipes for next winter: http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/78214946/the-ultimate-healthy-comfort-food-makeovers--with-cauliflower-natur
ally

lythande1, Mar 24, 5:46pm
I have seedlings up at present (from seed), staggering them so they are over a few weeks.
This is when you start caulis, not harvest them.

uli, Mar 24, 10:07pm

uli, Mar 24, 10:13pm
For the more adventurous: Cauliflower Buns & Bagels
Do NOT expect a "bread" flavour or texture though! :)

They are however delicious in their own right. Make sure the mix is not too wet! Add rather more than less of the psyllium husk!

Makes 12-16 buns or bagels

Ingredients:
1 large cauliflower (1200g)
¼ cup / 20g almond meal
¼ cup / 20g nutritional yeast
1 ½ tsp. fine sea salt
½ tsp. garlic powder
2 large organic eggs
1 Tbsp. dried onions or sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. psyllium husk (optional, will make the buns drier)

Directions:
1. Wash and chop cauliflower into chunks.
Place in a food processor and blend until as fine as possible (you may need to do this in several batches as the cauliflower won’t process if the machine is too full).
Transfer cauliflower to a large mixing bowl.
Add the almond meal, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder and psyllium husk, if using. Stir very well to combine.

2. Preheat oven to 200°C.

3. Whisk eggs together in a separate bowl.
Add the eggs to the cauliflower mixture and stir until the “dough” is moist and will hold together.

4. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Taking baseball-sized amounts of dough, squeeze them into a rough ball shape, then drop them from about 1 foot (30cm) onto the baking sheet (this helps to compact them). If you want to make bagels, simply use your finger to poke a hole in the center and shape the rest with your hands.

Sprinkle the tops with the dried onion or sesame seeds and place in the oven.
Bake for 20-30 minutes until the buns are golden brown around the edges.
Enjoy warm with butter, and store leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.

http://www.mynewroots.org/site/2015/09/cauliflower-buns-bagels/

uli, Mar 25, 7:55am
Cauliflower 'cous cous' tossed with salmon and a fried egg

Ready in less than half an hour, this perfectly balanced meal uses crumbled and lightly blanched cauliflower to make a delicious and lightly-textured couscous, tossed with rich, buttery salmon, sweet basil and extra virgin olive oil, and then topped with a fried egg.

Serves 2 (gluten-free and dairy-free if no ghee or butter used)

1/2 cauliflower, broken into florets
1 tablespoon ghee, butter or olive oil
2 free-range eggs
1 large handful of basil leaves, roughly torn, plus extra to garnish
2 salmon fillets, skin on, cut into small bite-sized pieces
juice of 1 lemon
good drizzle of extra virgin olive oil

Method

Put the cauliflower in a food processor. Pulse until it has a rice-like consistency, then transfer to a heatproof bowl.

Melt the ghee in a frying pan over medium heat. Crack the eggs into the pan, then cook until the yolks are done to your liking.

While the eggs are cooking, cover the cauliflower with boiling water. Leave to sit for 1 minute, then drain immediately.

Toss the cauliflower in a bowl with the basil, salmon, lemon juice, olive oil and a pinch of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.

The salmon will cook perfectly from the heat of the cauliflower.

Serve each portion topped with a fried egg and garnished with extra basil.

Recipe from My Petite Kitchen Cookbook by Eleanor Ozich, published by Murdoch Books $39.99, May 2014.

wadboy, Mar 26, 11:56pm
uli, please can you tell me how many eggs are in the cheesy cauliflower patties recipe?

uli, Apr 1, 5:48am
wadboy - which recipe do you refer to as "cauli patties"?

uli, Apr 13, 8:47am
CAULIFLOWER 'COUSCOUS' (Nadia Lim) - congrats on your little son!

1 head (750–800g) cauliflower, cut into florets
½ telegraph cucumber, finely diced
2 tomatoes, diced
½ small red onion, finely diced
¼ cup Kalamata olives, chopped
¼ cup dates, finely chopped
50g feta, crumbled
¼ cup mint leaves, chopped
¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
Juice of 1 lemon (use zested one above)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

Place the cauliflower in a food processor and blitz to a fine, crumbly, couscous-like texture. You can do this in batches to avoid overcrowding. Alternatively, coarsely grate it, or chop it very finely. Next, place it into a large bowl and microwave for a few minutes, stirring a few times, or spread it out on an oven tray and cook for 5 minutes, until it is very lightly cooked but still slightly crunchy.
Toss the cauliflower with the cucumber, tomato, red onion, olives, dates, feta, mint, parsley, lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve with köfte and yoghurt

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/71326479/Recipe-Turkish-lamb-k-fte-and-cauliflower-couscous

uli, Apr 13, 8:49am
Shepherd's pie - a great winter warmer.
Use mashed cauliflower instead of potato for a lighter version of that classic pie topping.

1 large head cauliflower florets, chopped
4 tbsp olive oil (or coconut oil)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 brown onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, diced
2 celery sticks, diced
2 medium carrots, diced
600g lamb mince
2 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp thyme leaves, chopped
80ml dry red wine
375ml beef stock or chicken stock (check gluten-free if required)
3 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.

2. Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil then add the cauliflower and cook for about 10 minutes until tender. Drain the cooked cauliflower in a colander and set it aside.

3. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large frying pan or saucepan over a medium to high heat. Add the cumin, onions, garlic, celery and carrots and cook for five minutes, or until they soften and begin to brown.

4. Add the lamb mince and cook until browned. Add the tomato paste and thyme and cook for one minute, then pour in the wine and stock and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper.

5. Meanwhile, place the cooked cauliflower in the food processor and blend until smooth. Blend two tablespoons of oil through the puree and season to taste with salt and pepper.

6. To assemble, spread the meat mixture into the base of an ovenproof dish. Top with the cauliflower puree and smooth the top out evenly. Bake the pie in the oven for 30 minutes, or until lightly golden. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with a fresh, seasonal salad of your choice.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/parenting/family-life/recipes/10215500/Shepherds-pie-with-cauliflower-mash

uli, Apr 15, 5:10am
bump for the caulis - now only $3.50 here for HUGE heads.
Mine are months away from "heading".

More beans, courgettes and tomatoes to come through for another 6 to 8 weeks here though. 24 degrees in the last few days - not bad for mid-April!

karlymouse, Apr 15, 10:00am
Thanks Uli. there are several very interesting recipes here and I plan on trying quite a few of them.

jan2242, Apr 16, 11:02pm
$5.99 here and not very big. Still, I bought one as there is so much you can do with them.

dairymaid, Sep 27, 8:08pm
I know you wont have any left now but deep fried in batter for a change . Very nice