Roasting dishes

beaker59, May 8, 11:26pm
I bought a huge roasting dish on a whim I haven't used one before. Mainly got it as I hate cleaning the oven. My oven is a thermowave one, a flash italian thing I barely understand the controls of. I have a big leg of hogget to roast tonight what are the tricks for time and temp etc. (yes I know all about garlic and rosemary etc etc)

petal1955, May 9, 12:42am
Around 30mins per 500grms on about 160 degrees C depending on how big it is.

beaker59, May 9, 1:00am
Thanks petal is that normal roast setting or fan bake. also will that get a crispy outside cos the chook I did the other day wasn't very crisp.

beaker59, May 9, 1:19am
Its a 3 Kg roast so 3 hours EH!

beaker59, May 9, 4:47am
Must be a trick as now 2 hours in its like its just steaming in the dish no actual browning as such. Might try with the lid off for a while. wa going to throw the spuds in as well but want them roasted so I'll do them on a separate tray.

micky_1, May 9, 4:53am
just take the lid off the last hour of cooking or when you put the vege in is all I do then it crisps the meat too

micky_1, May 9, 4:54am
and with hogget the longer and slower the better

beaker59, May 9, 5:08am
Yes the spuds are it now and the meat is browning off nicely. Cheers Micky. I will probably put the dish away though and go back to a roasting tray and only use the dish for tougher cuts like mutton or wild pork and goat etc.

fisher, Apr 14, 12:04pm
hoggethmmmm magic... said it before. . onion bed . . rosemary and garlic. . salt, pepper, , red wine cover with foil with ONE end up to stop condensation. . slow cook 3 -4hours for 165-170. . 200 for last 30 mins with foil removed. . veges in olive oil in lid half :} magic roasty gravy... magic meat... . .