A tried and fail proof receipe for Meringues

radgirl, Nov 29, 9:57am
have a company christmas do and I drew the short straw for a dessert plate,
thought meringues would be an easy option as can be a finger food type thing. any receipes please?

radgirl, Nov 29, 10:01am
cheers thanks

bubbles22222, Dec 8, 3:00am
about to experiment with one of these receipes. How long do meringues keep for in an airtight container?

korbo, Dec 8, 3:44am
they will keep, well they do in our house for up to a year.as long as the tin is airtight.

I am wanting to know why mine have all cracked today.

korbo, Dec 8, 3:46am
I often wonder what the difference in meringues using (as in my recipe) baking powder than cornflour. alway put cornflour in pavs.
My coffee ones have been a great hit.

bev00, Dec 12, 10:48am
As Christmas approaches. everything you ever wanted to know about meringues.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/5993557/

How-to-master-meringues

Quoteelliehen (3900 ) 11:46 pm, Fri 18 Nov #7
meringues.
beat 4 egg whites stiff,. slowly add 4 100 grams of castor sugar, beat well. fold in,. 1 tsp corn flour, 1 tsp lemon juice, 100 grams of castor sugar. pipe onto baking paper. bake 2 hours @ 100 % c . turn the oven off and leave them in the oven, while it cools

vashti, Dec 13, 7:04am
Thanks elliehen. I want to do little fruit kebabs and wondered if I could buy small kebab sticks.

wayneandjudith, Dec 18, 11:10am
You can also use an icing bag and pipe tiny ones to put in cellophane bags as gifts. (Sit a couple on a teaspoon to serve with a coffee like they do with coffee beans in the cafes). I flavour some with coffee and leave some plain then mix them up. My sister and I made some one year after seeing them in Kircaldies for some exorbitant price - about 12.50 for a tiny bag! Tie bag with christmas ribbon and label.

freeair, Dec 19, 4:35am
The most easiest Meringue recipe I've made.
3 eggs 1 cup of castor sugar
The secret to meringues is to beat the egg whites at room temp. in a metal bowl, preferable copper. glass and china are acceptable but never plastic bowls. All items used to be impeccably clean.

Stiffly beat the whites of 3 eggs and gradually a teaspoon at a time add the cup of sugar until it's all dissolved.
Spoon out dessertspoon size dollops onto a tinfoil covered oven tray.
Place tray in an oven which has been heated to 100deg. c. and cook for one hour.
They should be dry and just lift off the foil. Cook longer if they're still sticky.
This recipe makes meringues that are gooey and chewy inside with a crisp but not chalk-like outer.
Cool completely on a wire rack. They keep marvellously in an airtight tin and should be filled with cream about an hour before eating- any longer and they go mushy.
Just made this recipe today after 20yrs, and it still works great. Can put food colouring in to change the colours.

nauru, Dec 19, 5:38am
I buy smaller ones from $2 shop or Asian supermarkets. You could also use cocktail sticks, usually available in supermarkets.

Radgirl, the dessert platter Ellie mentioned sounds a good idea

korbo, Dec 20, 1:19am
another easy recipe.
2 egg whites, 2 teasp vinegar, 1/2 teasp vanilla ess, 2 cups sugar, 4 tablespn boiling water.
put all in your bowl turn mixer on full and just let it beat till it all thickens up. around 5 mins.THEN. fold in 2 teasp Baking Powder.
place spoon lots on greased trays. bake at 120 for 1 hour. then turn oven off and leave for about 4 hrs. store in very airtight container.
These will last up to a year.
I sometimes add pink or green or coffee essence to the mix

uli, Dec 20, 3:04am
bump for Xmas

waswoods, Dec 20, 9:17am
If you make small meringues, don't cook them for very long. I also turn off the oven and leave them in the oven until the oven is cold

indigojo, Dec 24, 3:42am
Freeair, I just made your meringue recipe (my first time making them). They turned out great. The second batch I mixed through some pischioto nuts.

freeair, Dec 24, 9:27am
I'm so pleased and the nuts in them sounds great, never thought to try that.

bev00, Mar 24, 8:01am
Ngaires Meringues (Ngaire was my Godmother who I adored and these are lovely)
2 egg whites beaten stiffly
Add 1/2 c brown sugar and 1/2 c white sugar and beat again
Add 1/2 c chopped nuts, 1/2 c coconut, 11/2 c cornflakes.
Cook @375 for 10mins or 325 for 20mins.
I cant remember whether I have experimented with this recipe as it is a while since I have made them

Quotegroomingtools (699 ) 6:30