Probably a stupid question sorry

youngmummy11, Nov 1, 10:36am
But if a recipe has wine in it can i use wine vinegar instead? Or is there something else i can use in place of the wine thanks

frances1266, Nov 1, 11:01am
Generally stock will take the place of wine.

korban, Nov 1, 8:07pm
You can use orange juice instead of wine

uli, Nov 1, 8:20pm
I can just imagine coq au orange.

uli, Nov 1, 8:24pm
You can use a very small amount of vinegar if you have no wine. It will taste different though. Don't substitute the full amount of wine in a recipe with vinegar though - it would ruin it.

gr8stuf4me, Nov 1, 8:35pm
OP, there are no stupid questions only stupid answers, for if someone laughs at you instead of answering you, you do not come away from the experience any the wiser!

sarahb5, Nov 1, 9:15pm
Why do you want to replace the wine? I'd replace with a mix of wine vinegar and stock rather than straight wine vinegar which would probably be too acidic

uli, Nov 1, 10:37pm
That is what I said above - use a little vinegar but do not replace by volume.

You all (me included) do not know the background of OP.

Often a whiff of wine in a sauce will kick start another bout of alcoholism in someone who tries hard not to drink - not saying that is the case here, do not mis-understand me - it could have been that OP simply had no wine in the house.

However that has been the question many times over here.

wasgonna, Nov 1, 10:41pm
If it's a woman in the house with no wine it's because she drank it.

sarahb5, Nov 1, 11:41pm
That's why I asked the question .

rubyjane11, Nov 1, 11:43pm
goodness . just maybe you are overthinking the question also

buzzy110, Nov 2, 12:26am
Is it really such a problem to put some thought into a question in order to come up with a suitable response?

suzie234, Nov 2, 1:04am
tdtops riped me off

suzie234, Nov 2, 1:08am
i brought this wallet and choose the wrong postage and so i paid the differen,t i email to comfrim weather he received the money for wallet be would not answer any of my emails i asked for a fefund he said yes now making excuse not to give me my money back bewhere of people that rip you off tdtops his his name don,t buy form this guy

gr8stuf4me, Nov 2, 1:41am
Not true at all was gonna, I don't keep a drop of anything alcoholic in the house, the slightest wiff used to make me feel awfully ill and it's only because of a medical condition, so how rude! Some of us are tee total by choice.

sarahb5, Nov 2, 1:48am
Contact Trade Me direct - message boards aren't the right forum

korban, Nov 2, 8:15am
It would depend if a savoury or sweet recipe.

Don't think I would put stock in a cake recipe, but would use fruit juice.

youngmummy11, Nov 2, 10:32am
Ok i am planning to make Dixie chicken but can't have alcohol due to my health issues & have a recovering alcoholic so don't really want him around alcohol. I am not the best in the kitchen hence asking. My sister suggested today that i use grape juice as it is similar to wine

Thanks for the idea of using stock in a cake now i can't stop giggling lol

uli, Nov 3, 2:27am
Good that you came back to clarify - as you could see some posters were not aware of the "recovering alcoholic" problem and wondered if I was "overthinking" the question.

I have seen similar questions on here before hence my answer. Just a little bit of vinegar and some stock and you should be fine. Do not use grape juice as apparently it can also start people back onto alcohol dependency.

All the best.
And there is never a "stupid question" really.

dianavan, Nov 3, 6:05am
That grape juice would be good in dixie chicken. It does need that flavor.

youngmummy11, Jul 26, 8:47am
He is ok with grape juice i drink it often n he tends to swipe it lol but he never liked wine thanks for the tip. So do i just use grape juice or put a small amount of vinegar in?