Spices to make chicken taste like KFC

bruceakld, May 15, 9:24pm
In the wind and rain at netball last night I was told about about a yummy secret spice mix that you put on chicken and bake it to make it taste like KFC. Unfortunately with all the chaos of getting kids home and dried etc I've forgotten the name / chef (NZr I think).
Any ideas / recipes?
The person said they'd also sprinkled it on homemade wedges.
Otherwise will have to wait until next week and ask.

awoftam, May 15, 10:45pm
The Food Truck guy did a KFC like recipe (healthier tho, which is all good).

http://tvnz.co.nz/the-food-truck/ep-8-mike-s-13-herbs-and-spices-chicken-4184710

lythande1, May 16, 12:23am
1 egg, beaten
1 cup buttermilk
One 3-pound chicken, cut into 6 pieces
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried marjoram
1 teaspoon pepper
2 teaspoons salt
2 Tablespoons paprika
1 Tablespoon onion salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 Tablespoons MSG

The author says: "What's the secret behind Colonel Sanders's famous eleven herbs and spices? To this day, his secret recipe has never been revealed,but this is a pretty close copy." --Ron Douglas

Combine the egg and buttermilk in a large bowl. Soak the chicken pieces in the mixture.

Add the flour to a separate bowl and fold in all the herbs and spices. Roll the chicken in the seasoned flour until completely covered.

Allow to fry until the chicken is golden brown and thoroughly cooked.

valentino, May 16, 1:03am
And Kob has this one, far easier and nicer than KFC especially with skinless chicken thighs with the bone still in extra nice chicken flavour.

Hint, When buying veges, put veges in larger bags, ideal to keep for recipes like this one, LOL. And try mixing flours like a bit of wholemeal and plain.

mine is a nice one
in a bag mix the following 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs,1 cup of plain flour,3 teaspoons of chicken stock,1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg,1/2 teaspoon of curry powder. cover (about 6 to 8) chicken pieces in a drizzle of oil mix around then drop into bag and shake mix over them, take out place on baking tray and bake for 1-1&1/2 hours on 180 (c) (Personal note - May require turning after 50 minutes, improves the baking).
posted by kob

samanya, May 16, 4:47am
I use this recipe without the MSG & done in the air fryer, it's good.
I vary it & sometimes add a couple of slices of bread whizzed into crumbs. I make a larger quantity & freeze the balance.

les6, May 18, 5:03am

bruceakld, May 18, 6:59pm
Thanks everyone.
It turns out it was the Annabel Langbein's "8 secret spice mix" for "southern style baked chicken".

just4jess, May 18, 8:18pm
bruceakid - share please. I can't find it on line.

bruceakld, May 19, 1:26am
It's in the new Annabel Langbein "Winter Goodness" Annual that has just come out.

just4jess, May 20, 4:42am
Thanks. I was given that for Mother's Day. Will check it out.

pricilla, May 20, 10:51pm
Try coat & cook really yummy & so easy

gbking, Jul 21, 5:58pm
KFC Original Fried Chicken.
1 frying chicken, cut into frying pieces The 11 herbs and spices 2 eggs, well beaten 2/3 cup milk Vegetable oil to cover bottom of your skillet; about 1/2 inch deep. 1. Combine eggs and milk. Set aside. 2. Combine flour with the Italian dressing and soup mix. 3. Dip chicken pieces in milk-egg mixture and roll them in the flour-seasoning mixture. Repeat procedure. 4. Fry pieces over medium heat for 25 to 30 minutes, turning often. 5. Remove from fire. Drain and serve.
Chicken Like the Colonel's
-----ELEVEN SECRET SPICES----- 1 tablespoon Rosemary 1 tablespoon Oregano leaves 1 tablespoon Powdered sage 1 teaspoon Powdered ginger 1 teaspoon Marjoram 1 1/2 teaspoons Thyme 3 tablespoons Packed brown sugar 3 tablespoons Dry minced parsely 1 teaspoon Pepper 1 tablespoon Paprika 2 tablespoons Garlic salt 2 tablespoons Onion salt 2 tablespoons Powder chicken bouillon* 1 package Lipton tomato cup-a-soup mix * or 4 cubes mashed There are actually 11 spices in the above combination, but an additional 3 ingredients were necessary to derive that special flavor.
Place all ingredeints in blender with on\off spped for 3-4 minutes to pulverise, or rub through a fine strainer.
Store in an airtight container so it will not lose potency. Makes about 3/4 cup. To use with flour: Add 1 oz. mix to a cup of flour for coating chicken