Home made crackers

Page 2 / 2
samanya, Sep 24, 6:52am
I didn't find that at all, the were everything I wanted in a cracker . I had to hide them from my nieces as the whole batch would disappear within minutes with them around, but I'm also willing to try other recipes, given on this thread . all saved ready to give them a go, the garlic & rosemary sound fab.
I wasn't so fussed on your recipe (sorry). it lacked the 'oomph/X factor that' I like, but maybe I will try it again & incorporate/craft a few of my ideas into it.
If I do, I'll let you know how they turned out.

nauru, Sep 24, 6:58am
I'm sure that everyone did and I think uli was just being uli.

elsielaurie1, Sep 24, 8:22am
From Wendyl Nissen's webpage. Swedish Crackers.

220g wholemeal flour (I used stoneground)
220g rolled oats (wholegrain if you can get them)
2 tsp salt
150g sunflower seeds
75g sesame seeds
75g linseeds (flaxseed)
40g pumpkin seeds
700ml warm water
1 tbsp olive oil

Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl and add the water and oil. Oil a very large oven tray or two smaller ones and pour the mixture onto the trays. It should be the consistency of porridge. Spread it as thin as possible and then put in a 130 degree C oven for 15 minutes. Take it out and cut into biscuits, either conventional cracker size or the larger rectangles. Put back in the oven and bake for one hour until they are golden and crisp. You may need to cook longer as the instructions say one to two hours but mine only took an hour.

awoftam, Sep 24, 9:03am
Slice an onion. Rub in a generous splurge of a great olive oil. Slice a cauli (as in slice, not broken into florets). Toss through the olive oil. Spread onto a baking tray. Season generously. Throw over fresh thyme leaves. Roast until some onion slices are slightly charred looking (about 35 - 40 mins). Grate over some fantastic Parmesan and pop back in the oven till the cheese has melted and gone a bit crispy. Make a piglet of yourself.

daarhn, Sep 24, 9:41am
DROOOOOL. I think its called steaks when sliced like that? I will have to do 2 caulis as I can't resist eating it raw. Oh and that is going to be part of my BarbyQ repertoire this summer for this vege/vegan brute. Big Ups!

awoftam, Sep 24, 9:47am
It is seriously amazing and so simple. I just adore it as do friends I have cooked it for. A meal in itself I slurp and crunch my way through half a small cauli easily. For vegans just omit the cheese of course however this would diminish the soul of the dish IMO. My bottom has been known to be a bit 'talkative' after this; I assume it's the onion.

uli, Sep 24, 9:47am
I came to NZ in my own waka, my mountain you wouldn't know as it is in Germany and my culture used to be German for the first few years, but I soon abandoned that for a more international cast.

I love French and know "Voilà!" of course but violets in the midst of parmesan had me wondering.

And yes nauru has it right - uli was just being uli :)

Waves :)

timturtle, Sep 24, 9:49am
Thanks Andrea, you have got me salivating already just reading the recipe. Lol, Thanks for posting it, Cheers

timturtle, Sep 24, 9:52am
My bottom has been known to be a bit 'talkative' after this; I assume it's the onion.

Lol Got to love this comment, something to look forward too ! LMAO, HeHe

samanya, Sep 25, 5:44am
Thanks for the lovely sounding recipes . I'm having a crowd of about 40 people soon & I will certainly try some of these recipes, as they are something I can make ahead & they'll keep (if I hide them).

bev00, Sep 25, 12:07pm
Sesame Lavosh

Lavosh is a thin, crunchy Middle Eastern bread that's delicious served as a pre-dinner nibble.

Prep time 5 mins
Cook time 15-20 mins
Makes approx 40

1 cup plain flour
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
2 tbsp each black and white sesame seeds (or 4 tbsp just one kind)
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1/2 cup water
To finish: olive oil and flaky sea salt

Preheat oven to 165C/325F.

In a mixing bowl stir together the flours, sesame seeds, oregano and salt. Mix the oils and water together and add to the dry ingredients, stirring to form a soft, pliable dough.

Divide the dough into 4 pieces and roll each out on a lightly floured board as thinly as possible. Each quarter should yield a rectangle of about 34 x 16cm (13 x 6 inches). Cut each rectangle into strips of about 4 x 17cm (1.5 x 6.5 inches) and roll again - they need to be virtually see-through.

Carefully transfer the strips to a baking tray, brush them lightly with oil and sprinkle lightly with flaky salt. Bake until they are crisp and pale golden, about 15-18 minutes. Allow to cool fully before storing in an airtight container.

crsdbl, Sep 26, 8:46pm
A random tip from me.

I use my pasta maker to roll out my cracker dough. works brilliantly!

samanya, Sep 30, 3:00am
koru_designs . I made your recipe today & the flavour is lovely.
I discovered that in my oven they need to be baked at a slightly lower temp (one tray of very golden/brown crackers) the others are just great so it's definitely on my 'keeper' list.
Thanks for sharing.

mothergoose4, Nov 13, 12:05am
Thanks for the recipe elliehen. Made these last night. Very easy to make, but think next time I will roll even thinner before cutting into shapes. I thought I had them thin enough though. Will also add more flavouring next time. I used 2 tablespoons of bacon and onion soup mix. Nice flavour, but I think they will be nice with a bit more.

village.green, Nov 13, 12:20am
Just made the recipe Wendyl Nissen published on her site a few weeks ago Knackenbrot (Scandinavian) you should be able to google. Take 5 mins to mix together, 5 mins to spread on baking trays and about 2 hours (for me) to cook and crisp up in low oven. A friend tried them for first time yesterday and loved them and couldn't stop eating. However the basic recipe is bland and I add dried oregano, pepper, garlic powder etc, much more flavoursome.

village.green, Nov 13, 12:21am
Whoops just seen you've already posted elliehen.

village.green, Oct 6, 1:12am
Whoops again #15 - god I must be getting old or something doh!