Home made mayonnaise / aioli help please

daisyk, Jan 6, 7:41pm
After years of succesfully making my own mayonnaise and aioli I had a massive failure last night.The first batch curdled spectacularly.Tried to fix it by beating another egg yolk with oil, then adding the curdled mess, but no luck - at least twice I tried this.finally I asked my husband to help drop in the oil drop by drop by drop and finally success - Anyone else had such a failure - would the hot humid weather be the cause do you think?

davidt4, Jan 6, 8:12pm
I've never found that hot weather makes any difference.After all, a restaurant kitchen is usually far hotter than any domestic kitchen.

Were all of your ingredients at room temperature?If they were then all I can think of is that you added the oil too quickly.

terraviva1, Jan 6, 8:42pm
You probably just added your oil too fast, or if you used a food processer took so long that you overheated the mix which can also split it (thats about 30min, really I have seen people take this long to make it! the motor heats up the bowl eventually).

ribzuba, Jan 6, 8:45pm
i would say oil to fast...i work in a kitchen that gets to about 50 deg sometimes and never had a problem

buzzy110, Jan 6, 8:55pm
Just one of those glitches that happen occasionally I think, especially as you managed to get it to work perfectly on the second attempt. Dang that Murphy. We must all have a few choice words saved up ready to direct his way when we finally go to meet our maker.

cookessentials, Jan 9, 11:06am
The process of adding the oil has to be done slowly to ensure the sauce doesn't split. If by chance it does, take a clean bowl put tablespoons of hot water in the bottom and whisk in gradually the curdled mixture.