whole egg mayonnaise

1 whole egg
juice of 1 lemon
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
150 mils of sunflower oil
150 mils of canola oil
You will need a stick blender and a tall beaker to make this mayonnaise.
Put the egg into the beaker first
Put the other ingredients carefully on top of the egg, so as not to disturb the egg.
Lower the stick blender in to the bottom without disturbing the ingredients.
Pulse the blender, until the ingredients start to emulsify, tilt the blender to allow the oil to be incorporated.

buzzy110, Oct 30, 1:47am
Yes that is a good recipe. If you do not happen to have a gadget that will handle such small quantities then a small whisk will do the same job. I make mine using a whisk all the time and it is quite easy to do.

If you really want one that tastes like ETA then just add sugar to taste at the end. I personally would never do that but commercial mayonnaises are very sweet and you may prefer the taste.

Another one that may tickle your fancy is the sweetened condensed milk mayonnaise. Just do a search. There has been a spate of threads about this mayonnaise recently.

kinna54, Oct 30, 2:09am
good advice there from pickles (lovely recipe)and buzzy. Just a tip. if ever you do buy store bought mayo (which I rarely do)DON"T buy Edmonds. DIL bought some ranch on special. SO sweet, UGH!

toadfish, Oct 30, 2:19am
ETA is my favourite store bought mayo and to me its more "tangy" than sweet, I personally don't like the really creamy ones. is it Real Food Mayo I am thinking of.

elliehen, Oct 30, 2:30am
When Condensed Milk Dressing is scorned, New Zealand history is being ignored.This recipe came out of the frugal war years of the 1940s when eggs were rationed and hard to obtain.

I have some historical articles from that time by Eva Topping, Auckland Rural Sociologist who gives the original recipe for it and also says:
"When restrictions on the use of cream are lifted, a cream salad dressing which requires no cooking will be found the quickest and easiest to make."

"Making lunches is often hard on the butter rations and alternative spreads have to be used sometimes."

"Bananas when obtainable, mash or cut in slices."

Recipes and old cookery books are the repository of New Zealand's social (and political) history.

uli, Oct 30, 2:44am
If eggs are rationed then use oil and vinegar to make a salad dressing - no reason to use condensed milk or any other processed concoction.

Cream is not a necessary ingredient in any salad dressing.

If butter is rationed use lard or dripping to spread on breads or use instead of butter.

New Zealand's social (and political) history just shows they had no idea about cooking.

samboy, Oct 30, 3:40am
Best foods Lite Mayo is very nice if you don't have time to make it.

arcane1315, Oct 30, 4:37am
thanks all. I will try your one pickles.with a whisk, so fingers crossed.will have to wait till Monday though as supermarket closed here tomorrow and I have no sunflower oil- oh how I miss Pak n Save .The condensed milk one I remember Mum making, and I agree it is too sweet.

elliehen, Oct 30, 5:08am
Many people don't make it or like it, but those who oldies who remember it from their childhood with nostalgia are allowed to have a voice.

poolgirl6, Oct 30, 6:04am
Pickles, can you tell me how long willyour mayonnaise last in the fridge please.

pickles7, Oct 30, 6:31am
May not work with a whisk.
It is more work to make a mayo by hand.

You could make the recipe uli put up. oil and lemon juice, or vinegar.

pickles7, Oct 30, 6:34am
I have had it in my fridge for up to three weeks, no problem.
It is important that , pregnant women should not eat mayo made with eggs, of any brand.

poolgirl6, Oct 30, 6:42am
Thanks, home made mayo heralds summer eh

uli, Oct 30, 11:23pm
If you do it with a hand whisk then I would suggest to only use the egg yolk. You will get a good thick mayo - even by hand.
The egg white makes it more runny and you can't whisk long enough by hand to make it really thick and creamy.
I have often made mayo by hand with just a whisk, every time we caught a lobster or crayfish in fact :)

buzzy110, Oct 31, 12:34am
I agree. I was visiting just a few days ago and wanted to whisk up an aioli treat. Our hostess only had a whisk. It took me less than 5mins from beginning to assemble the ingredients to presenting an absolutely wonderful, thick, creamy mayo that was used as the aioli base. It was effortless. It helped that she had a nice heavy glass bowl that I could stand slightly tipped so all the ingredients stayed on one side of the bowl.

mazzy1, Oct 31, 12:45am
What was that recipe then buzzy!

buzzy110, Oct 31, 12:49am
So true once upon a time. Now-a-days there are some adventurous souls who have travelled and returned with their eyes opened. We, and all the new settlers from exactic lands, are busily adding colour and taste to the, thus far, imitation English culinary practises of our forebears.

buzzy110, Oct 31, 12:56am
I don't need a recipe. I put 2 egg yolks into the aforesaid glass bowl, squeezed in the juice of½ Lisbon Lemon, seasoned and whisked for about 40secs till it was going pale yellow and thickening. Then I added olive oil, drop by drop at first, then in a thin stream, ensuring that at no time did the ingredients separate out. The whole process was effortless, I had a good wrist motion going which didn't tire and within 5mins it was all over. I added fresh garlic; would have preferred to add roasted garlic (but it wasn't my kitchen) and some more lemon juice to thin it down a bit (it was way too thick). Checked the seasonings. Done.

My hostess had invited other friends as well and my entree dish was yummed up in about 3minutes flat with one person using their finger to "lick" the bowl.

toadfish, Oct 31, 2:19am
ETA is my favourite store bought mayo and to me its more "tangy" than sweet, I personally don't like the really creamy ones. is it real foods Mayo I am thinking of! in a blue bottle

elliehen, Oct 31, 5:08am
Many people don't make it or like it, but those who oldies who remember it from their childhood with nostalgia are allowed to have a voice.

Edited to add: pickles' recipes are usually refined from many years of experience.

buzzy110, Nov 1, 12:49am
So true once upon a time. Now-a-days there are some adventurous souls who have travelled and returned with their eyes opened. We, and all the new settlers from exotic lands, are busily adding colour and taste to the, thus far, imitation English culinary practises of our forebears. Even some Recipes posters are aware that life doesn't revolve around loving sugar and flour concoctions, hating celery and drinking tea!