Home made crackers

Page 1 / 2
bev00, Mar 17, 11:00am
Crackers
This is an old recipe from Gran's Kitchen book.

455g flour 1/2 tsp salt 85g butter milk to mix
sift flour and salt, rub in butter and mix in milk to make stiff dough.
Roll out thinly.Cut into squares,place on greased tray and prick with fork.

bake 200 degrees til golden brown,about 10 minutes.
add whatever variation to the mix you like. Enjoy

Quoteantzmaria1 (260 ) 6:26 pm, Sat 16

wheelz, Mar 18, 12:07am
Omgosh! Just made these. sooooo good. Was thinking. "How long will they keep crisp for?" . but that isn't going to be a problem, they won't last long enough to go soggy!

uli, Sep 23, 1:22am
I have made lots of these in the past:

Herb Crackers (gluten free, egg free, dairy free)

2 cups almond flour
¾ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons mixed dried herbs (thyme, rosemary etc)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons water

In a large bowl, combine almond flour, salt and and herbs.
In a medium bowl, whisk together olive oil and water.
Stir wet ingredients into almond flour mixture until thoroughly combined
Roll the dough into a ball and press between 2 sheets of plastic film or paper to 1cm thickness
Remove top piece of paper
Transfer the bottom piece with rolled out dough onto baking sheet
Cut dough into squares with a knife or pizza cutter
Bake at 200°C for approx 10 minutes, until lightly golden.
Let crackers cool on baking sheet for 20 minutes.

uli, Sep 23, 1:23am

timturtle, Sep 23, 3:20am
Almond Meal Crackers

1 Cup Almond Meal
¼ Cup Chai Seeds
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Chicken Stock Powder
Some fresh Rosemary chopped

Put all into a food processor and whiz to combine.

Then add an egg white and blitz until a ball forms.

Roll out on grease proof paper which I cover with glad wrap on top of dough, until thin. Then mark it into cracker sizes with a pizza cutter or large knife, don’t drag the knife us more of a pressing down action.

Bake 160 10 mins, and watch last 2-3 minutes as they brown quickly in the end.

daarhn, Sep 23, 3:20am
Little mounds of Parmesan cheese on baking paper baked in oven until golden, cool on rack and viola Parmesan crackers.

uli, Sep 23, 4:00am
Do you include the violas in the Parmesan cheese or put them on top?

nauru, Sep 23, 6:06am
I make Annabel Lanbein's Sesame Lavosh (recipe link below), they are super easy and very tasty. I often replace the black sesame seeds with nigella seeds which give them a nice flavour.
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/sesame-lavosh/289/

awoftam, Sep 23, 6:28am
OMG they would be evilly awesome. I have a roasted cauli and onion recipe that uses Parmesan and I could just about eat a whole cauli - in fact I think I could eat a roasted shoe if it was coated in a good quality Parmesan. Not the NZ stuff - it just isn't the same.

uli, Sep 23, 9:50am
If you wear the shoes long enough without changing the socks you do not need any parmesan LOL :)

Give us the recipe though please :)

praxis2, Sep 23, 10:32am
does any one have some recipes.

wendalls, Sep 23, 10:43am
Annabel langbein 's lavosh crackers. I took some for a plate and everyone was asking what brand they were and then for the recipe.

village.green, Sep 23, 8:30pm
The above recipe from Annabel is wonderful - Lavosh, really quick and easy and I made two batches last week and they all got eaten. Sophie Gray has a good one too called Soda Crackers that I am also going to make. Don't have recipe on me at the mo, will have to search for it though.

village.green, Sep 23, 8:33pm
Soda Crackers

These crackers are really cheap and easy to make and almost too good - you may want to double the quantity.

2 cups plain flour
90g butter or shortening
½ tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cold water - enough to make a soft dough
Salt for sprinkling
Pre heat the oven to 200°
In the bowl of a processor or with your finger tips, rub the butter or shortening into the flour till it is a very fine crumb.
Add the baking powder and enough water to make a pliable dough. If using a processor 'pulse' to combine.
Turn the dough onto a floured surface and roll out to a large rectangle, not too thick or the crackers won't be crisp.
Trim off ragged edges, sprinkle the dough lightly with salt and rub it over the surface.
Cut into strips, then into squares. Place the squares on a lightly greased tray and prick several times with a fork.
Bake roughly 10 minutes or until golden and crisp.

Hope this came out?

lodgelocum, Sep 23, 8:33pm
Annabel's lavosh crackers are great, eat too many of them but they are so yummy.

pickles7, Sep 23, 11:54pm
A pic of these can be found here;
http://jumpingjellybeans-jellybeans.blogspot.co.nz/#!/2011/06/cracker-crackers.html
Scroll down the side bar
Cracker Crackers

4 cups self raising flour
2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup of ice cold water.
Pulse all together in a kitchen whiz, until it all binds together. Cut the dough into 4's and put three into the fridge.
Roll one piece out at a time until the dough is 3mm thick, cut into crackers , prick well.
Bake in a hot oven 220%C approx 10 - 12 minutes.

You can add powdered stocks, or milk and sprinkle stock powders or salt on top. I also make very small crackers to serve with a nice dip, etc. Very nice with cream cheese, salmon and caviar.

pickles7 (539 ) 6:07 pm, Mon 13 Sep #79

samanya, Sep 23, 11:59pm
I have made both AL's lavosh & pickles crackers & I far preferred the lavosh, better texture/flavour IMO.
Looking forward to tryingvillage.greens recipe.

pickles7, Sep 24, 12:06am
AL's lavosh, are very nice more for dipping, or eating like a crisp.

koru_designs, Sep 24, 12:18am
These are the ones I make. I double the recipe but obviously you don't have to. but they disappear pretty quickly in our house! I can't remember where I got the recipe from - this is out of my recipe journal.

GARLIC & ROSEMARY CRACKERS

1C flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp finely grated cheese (parmesan provides best flavour)
1 Tbsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/4 C cream
1 Tbsp milk if required
salt, pepper, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, chia, etc, for topping.

* Combine flour, salt, cheese, rosemary, garlic & olive oil in food processor. Pulse until crumbly.
* Add cream & combine. If dough is too dry, add more milk.
* Roll dough out on to baking paper. Roll until approx 5mm thick, adding flour if needed. (I divide the dough out onto multiple sheets of paper. The thinner the dough, the crispier your crackers will be).
* Score lightly with sharp knife into squares. Sprinkle with topping of choice.
* Cook at 200 deg C until lightly browned, about 10 mins. Cool on rack. Serve warm or at room temp. Crackers should snap along score lines once cool.

timturtle, Sep 24, 12:51am
I would like the recipe too please. Cheers

nauru, Sep 24, 3:29am
These are great, I sometimes substitute toasted cumin seeds for the sesame seeds which is good. I serve them with hummus, I usually make a pumpkin hummus which is very nice.

daarhn, Sep 24, 3:46am
But your bib on I'm a size 12. Yup grew up with the very best wedges of Parmesan eaten with loaf fresh crusty wog bread, jar anchovies, sun ripened tomatoes, sun-kissed grapes freshly picked, olives and slices speck and homemade pickled paprika, sweetest reddest juiciest water melons cracked open by by a tip of the knife, and rockmelon slices. Washed down with our own vino. Weekend fair working on the vineyard.
So hard to find decent wedge of Parmesan here in Auckland. Those cheese crystals are to die for.

daarhn, Sep 24, 3:50am
LOL. out of curiosity what is your culture, background as getting to know you from various threads you appear to miss the little nuances we take for granted? I meant to say Voilà! 'tis french common saying often used.

lilyfield, Sep 24, 6:25am
And a random tip from me
I roll mine out directly onto the baking tray, then use a ruler and pastry wheel to cut before baking, saves time transferring them.

samanya, Sep 24, 6:44am
I knew it was a 'typo' . most of us would have,