Apple crumble help please.

Page 1 / 2
malcovy, Jan 17, 6:05pm
x1
I will try this with apples, thanks.

marywea, Jan 18, 9:48pm
Sarahbt5, my all time favourite pudding as a child and also my childrens was "Apple and Crust on Top". Like yours but used wholemeal instead of flour, sugar with the butter was rubbed in then more dotted on top,. We prefered using stewed apples but not essential.

westigal, Jan 18, 10:54pm
x1
A slight variance I know, but living on my own and lovvvvvvvving all things crumbled, its too tempting to make a large dish full and scoff the lot. So now I make a crumble topping using basically the above recipes but cook it ,spread out on baking paper, tend to make a double mixture. Stew lots of fruit and freeze in the small size snack bags, this way I can just about have instant fruit crumble. The topping freezes really well. I just break it up a bit, and freeze that in a sandwich size ziplock bag and it stays nice and crisp.I just use it by the spoonful that way
The beauty of this is that the topping is fantastic over yoghurt as well, makes a lovely simple dessert, layered with fruit, yoghurt and crumble.

sarahb5, Jan 19, 1:33am
My favourite was apple charlotte which uses breadcrumbs, sugar, lemon zest and melted butter but mum was a traditionalist so I guess my crumble recipe from childhood is more basic/traditional

bev00, Sep 9, 10:34am
here is the best crumble ever. Put cold fruit in dish. Combine 1cup self raising flour, 1/2 cup sugar, pinch salt. Then add an egg and mix in with a fork. Sprinkle over fruit. Melt 50grams butter and drizzle over dry ingredients. Bake 180 until golden brown.Will be slightly crunchy. I prepare all but the butter early and then drizzle the butter when ready to cook. Delicious. Can be doubled for a bid dish. I like this as it does not seep liquid

cary14 (2 2 positive feedback) 9:06 am, Sun 8 Sep #8

lynja, Sep 9, 6:53pm
I made an amazing crumble recently using breakfast cereal, cant remember the name of it but one of the ones with cornflake type bits in it, dried fruit etc, I then added some rolled oats and some coconut, Rubbed some butter in and put on the top of stewed apples. It was delicious!

kindajojo, Sep 9, 7:22pm
I have also used weetbix, cornflakes, muesli Etc with butter and raw sugar in random amounts . What looks good, adding coconut is also nice.

I don't think it's an exact science. good luck

bev00, Sep 10, 10:53am
saving .

wron, Sep 20, 1:09pm
I'm using tomorrow - it's getting down a bit so bumping!

lilyfield, Sep 20, 10:23pm
and this !

gizmodaisy45, Oct 4, 10:36pm
I am making apple crumble and only have scotch oats and not rolled oats. Do you think it will be ok to use. TIA

245sam, Oct 4, 11:35pm
gizmodaisy45, IMO the Scotch oats will be perfect to use for your apple crumble. :-))

gizmodaisy45, Oct 4, 11:52pm
thanks so much 245. not really a cook and its for a family who have just had a death in the family so don't want it to crappy. lol

gizmodaisy45, Oct 5, 3:54am
you mean those single serve ones. in the small packets. ?

hmmm, that's a good question but the ones I have are flavoured.

245sam, Oct 5, 4:03am
I know of no reason why "the instant ones" couldn't/shouldn't be used, and if they're flavoured - why not use them to make a flavoured topping, providing of course, that the flavour compliments the fruit being used with the crumble topping. :-))

sarahb5, Oct 5, 11:12am
I never put oats in my crumble topping - I prefer just sugar, flour and butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon if its apple crumble or mixed spice for other fruits

245sam, Oct 5, 11:42am
That's the type of crumble topping that my now elderly Mum always makes and it's very popular too.
I usually include oats in some form in my crumble toppings but my late MIL made yet another version that didn't usually include oats but other than the fact that I remember it did include coconut, I can't remember exactly what it did include.
There are many variations of crumble toppings - some include cornflakes and/or other breakfast cereals, nuts, etc. :-))

lemming2, Oct 5, 8:07pm
Crunch topping (rather than crumble topping - truly crunchier and our family favourite)
1/2 cup flour 1/3 cup shredded coconut
2/3 cup coarsely crunched up cornflakes
2 oz butter 1/3 cup brown sugar
Melt butter and sugar together, mix in all other ingredients.
Oven at 180C
Part-cook the fruit in the pie dish before adding topping. It is lumpier than other crumbles, and a bit thicker.
Complete baking until browned and fruit juices bubbling up.

kcak, Oct 5, 9:01pm
I use any oats - usually what ever has been on special at the time. My topping is mixed together with melted butter - flour, oats, coconut, brown sugar, small amount of cinnamon and a tsp of ginger.

propagator, Oct 6, 2:19am
I do a peach crumble (tinned peaches) and add 1/2c coconut. Just another twist to a favourite pudding!
mrs p

mjhdeal, Oct 6, 2:26am
I haven't tried this fruit crumble recipe yet, but it looks interesting - gluten-free (?), grain-free, vegan, sugar-free, for those interested.

http://www.savorylotus.com/2013/09/01/grain-free-pear-crisp/

lodgelocum, Oct 6, 8:49am
Same!

sarahb5, Oct 7, 10:12pm
Yesterday I tried Jo Seagar's apple crisp recipe which is basically crumble-style topping but uses brown sugar and oats - delicious but different.

1/2 cup flour
50g butter
1/2 brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder

Whizz it in the food processor until at the breadcrumb stage then add 1/2 cup rolled oats (I used Milk Oaties because that's all I buy) using the pulse setting.

245sam, Oct 7, 11:13pm
Except for the baking powder and sugar quantity Jo's recipe is basically the same as this recipe I use from my early Kenwood food processor book and because it's made in the food processor I usually make a large container of it and pop it in the freezer - at short notice, a can of fruit covered with a layer of this topping and pudding's ready for the oven - quick and easy.

½ cup each of plain flour and rolled oats
¼ cup sugar
50g cold butter, cubed
1 tsp cinnamon – see note below

Using a food processor process all the ingredients together until they are a crumbly mix.
Note: Use whatever sugar you have or prefer– I prefer raw but brown or white are ok too.
Because I prefer to make this "in bulk” and then add the spice according to the fruit I'm using I don't usually add the spice to the crumble topping. For apple crumble I would use 3-4 large apples and grate the unpeeled apples, add the cinnamon to the apples, and then add the crumble topping. 20-30 minutes in the oven and it's ready. :-))

barbrose, Oct 13, 8:00am
x1
I use whatever is in my pantry - oats, flour, crushed weetbix or any cereal, brown sugar and then melted butter . I never measure anything and havent had a failure yet. Each topping is different and seldom get the same one twice but everyone loves my crumbles :)