Flat bread

awoftam, Sep 25, 7:55am
Although I love food and cooking and am okay at it I tend to stay away from breads etc - just something I have never done, well not for years any way. I want to make some flat breads or something similar to wrap spicy lamb and yoghurty sauces with and I was thinking that the amazing cooks in here must have some tried and true recipes. TIA

daarhn, Sep 25, 8:11am
Youtube is great to watch recipes come to life. So many variations of flat breads. From Middle Eastern,Mediterranean, Mexican, Italian, Irish, to the numerous Indian style flat breads. Gosh where to start. its my go to when on the run. stack wrap n roll.

Here's a link for Gyros Greek Chicken as a treat from lamb. It has 3 part recipe to make the Greek chicken, tzatziki sauce and pita bread.

http://www.cookingclassy.com/2013/09/gyros-chicken-souvlaki-tzatkiki-homemade-greek-flatbread/

Drooling now as I miss my Sydney days of all the fab Greek and Lebanese foodie places.

uli, Sep 25, 8:12am
Do you want them thin like wraps.
or a flatbread to use for scooping up sauces?

awoftam, Sep 25, 10:17am
lolllllllll. Yes. I love Tits-arki (as my son calls it) and make it a lot. Have googled flat breads, thought someone on here might have a 'slapthistogetheritseasyan-
dwonderful' one they use all the time. I am going to experiment this weekend with some from my Indian book.

daarhn, Sep 25, 10:27am
most fastest easiest i reckon is just your simple pizza dough, cut into pieces, rolled thin and thrown straight on a hot baking tray for few minutes each side to puff up. but those indian breads are delish.

flower-child01, Sep 29, 10:18am
On brama-sole.nz in the recipe book is heaps of recipes for breads. I make my own all the time, if you want some help I would gladly assist. Best to grab me there though,as am not on here much.

wendalls, Sep 30, 2:44am
I just bumped you the bread thread which if you are keen on flat breads, you'll find some amongst the many recipies plus other yum sounding things to try.

awoftam, Oct 1, 6:16am
Thanks to you for all for your suggestions. I have read a myriad of recipes on flat breads and I have decided to go with naan; the ultimate flat bread! I am going to make this one this weekend. I hope it works. I am picking I will set off the smoke alarms lol:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aarti-sequeira/naan-indian-oven-baked-flat-bread-recipe.html#!

daarhn, Oct 3, 8:21am

awoftam, Oct 3, 9:08am
Ohhhh I will gawd looks so good! Thank you!

sampa, Oct 3, 9:37pm
The names are so confusing. I've made what I'd call naan (on the BBQ so that you can really crank up the heat) but our last holiday in Fiji there were 'naans' on the menu that - according to the pics in link - I'd qualify as chapati (also yum, but different to what I thought they'd be). Some of the stuff they sell pre-packed in the supermarkets is Yuck - capital deserved - very greasy and just not nice so definitely worth having a go at making your own. If anyone has success with any of the various types I'm sure we'd all appreciate their tips and thoughts. nothing like rounding out a nice curry with a good Indian bread, preferably along with all the other accompaniments if the cook can be bothered.

I need curry now!

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-a-roti-naan-paratha-and-chapati

sampa, Oct 3, 10:26pm
I've made an executive decision that I'm going to make these -

http://simplybeingmum.com/2011/06/02/simple-indian-flat-bread-recipe-easy-peasy/

to serve with my shrimp creole tonight and I blow a big raspberry at anyone that is thinking of suggesting that I've got it all wrong cause . isn't that called Fusion or some such? Maybe it really stands for conFusion cooking!

Not my fault I don't have the right stuff to make curry.

awoftam, Oct 4, 2:16am
Looks good sampa! And I eat poppadoms with casserole so flat bread with creole sounds okay by me!

ange164, Sep 17, 9:49am
ooh yes, I have a perfect recipe that another poster gave me once. I dry fry them in the frypan, just like making tortillas. It's not online anymore, but I've printed it out:
This recipe is adapted from Mediterranean Street Food by Anissa Helou
To make the dough:
INGREDIENTS: This quantity will make 5 large or 10 medium man’ooshes
• 1 heaping teaspoon active dry yeast
• 1 teaspoon sugar or honey (optional)
• 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour or bread flour and 1 1/2 cups organic whole-wheat flour (total:3 1/2 cups)
• 2 teaspoons sea salt
• 3 to 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil ( 3 for the dough and 2 for greasing the bowl)
• 1 1/2 cups warm water
METHOD:
1. Dissolve the yeast and sugar (if using) in 1/4 cup warm water. Place in a warm place to proof.
2. Place both flours in a large bowl and mix well with a whisk. OR, place in a standing mixer and mix with the dough hook. Or place in a food processor and pulse to mix.
3. Add the oil in the middle of the mound of flour and mix with either your fingertips or a dough hook or through the feed tube. Add the proofed yeast and gradually add about 1 cup of warm water. Knead for a few minutes until a sticky ball of dough forms.
4. Remove the dough from the bowl or mixer and place on a lightly floured surface.
5. Sprinkle the dough with a couple tablespoons of flour and knead, adding more flour, until the dough is smooth and does not stick. This will take 2 to 5 minutes.
6. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let the dough rise for 1 hour in a warm place free of drafts.
To Make the man’ooshe:
1. Place the dough into the floured counter. Roll it into a fat sausage and cut into 5 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
2. Form the man’oosheh, one at a time, by using a rolling pin and your fingers all around. Leave the remaining balls aside, covered in a moist towel.
3. When formed, transfer to a paddle or a wooden board sprinkled with cornmeal (or flour) or a metal cookie sheet.
4. Spread the za’atar paste on the man’ooshes, using the back of a spoon and spreading about 1/3 cup of it per man’ooshe.
5. Heat up the grill to at least 550F. Let the formed man’ooshe rest on the paddle for 15 minutes or so.
6. Place on the grill or saj.
7. Bake 5 minutes or so. Remove promptly from the grill and place on the wooden paddle to cool for a few minutes.
8. Serve with some tomatoes, quartered, fresh mint, olives, labneh and scallions.
TIP:
An easy way to provide a warm place for your dough to rise is to boil a pint of water in a large soup pot. Turn off the heat and reverse the lid. Place the bowl with the dough in it on top of that lid and cover it with a towel. The residual heat from the boiling water will help rise the dough for a while, until it has doubled in size.
NOTE:
You can prepare the dough ahead of time and freeze it. Make the dough until it is smooth and not sticky and freeze in ziplock bags. When ready to use, remove and dust with flour. Let it rise at room temperature for a couple of hours. Proceed.