Tangelo marmalade

patsy06, Oct 12, 8:09am
Does anyone have a good recipe please

patsy3, Oct 12, 8:18am
No, but wanting a mandarin one please. *waves to patsy*

245sam, Oct 12, 8:28am
patsyo6, the following is not a personally tried and tested recipe but have a look at:-

http://www.5aday.co.nz/recipes/tangelo-marmalade.aspx

Hope that helps. :-))

245sam, Oct 12, 8:30am
patsy3, as above, the following is not a personally tried and tested recipe but have a look at:-

http://www.radionz.co.nz/collections/recipes/mandarin-marmalade

Hope that helps. :-))

cgvl, Oct 12, 7:41pm
I use my marmalade recipe but substitute grapefruit for what ever citrus I feel like using. You will need to add either lemons or pectin to get a set for mandarin, tangelo and orange marmalade though.

Somewhere on this recipe board is my grapefruit recipe, you can halve it easily to make less.

cleggyboy, Oct 12, 9:13pm
Lemon Carrot Marmalade
250g lemons (with skins) thinly sliced
250g grated carrots
1 litre water
1 kg sugar
Mix lemon, carrots and water and leave standing over night.
Put a lid on the pot and bring this mixture to the boil and let simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
Add the sugar and cook (without lid) until the jam sets.
Fill in sterile jars.

I have made this many times, I suppose you could use other citrus.

sampa, Oct 13, 12:05am
No but it sounds delicious especially based on what the tangelos that I've had this season have tasted like - very, very nice.

Hopefully someone has a recipe tucked away that they'll share.

uli, Oct 13, 5:56am
1kg of fruit and 1kg of sugar.
Tangelos and mandarins get simply put through the mincer, then boiled with a quarter cup of water until soft, then add the sugar and boil until set. never fails!

anne1955, Oct 13, 6:12am
I use the one to one as well and make up all sorts of Marmalade for my fundraising for our hall. Had a lady want the taste but no peel. some one want just lemon Found one for that cut bottoms and tops off cook whole then once cooked do the cutting when cool. Looked like baby sick I end up selling 2 jars as well of it. I saw a mandarin one the other day in a book and thought they are cheap enough at present might try. So jam day this week Friday's might do it. I am totally out of marmalade for next markets on Sunday. Fact diddly jam left at all even thinking of doing fresh strawberry this seasons on special 2 for something some where lol will find it before shopping. I made a 5.99 cauli into pickles at the weekend and yes even enough to make some money on them not much but some. It's getting peoples taste buds and heads thinking :) "Oh yummy new seasons pickles"
Love jam making and pickles and chutneys.

kay141, Oct 13, 6:40am
I don't have a recipe but as I find most marmalades too sweet, I have been experimenting to reduce the sugar. So far, 50/50 NZ oranges and lemons with half the sugar and a packet of jam setting mix has been the most successful, but a little too solid after a years storage. Next, I will try adding some peeled green apples to bulk up the pectin.

My wish is too find some Seville oranges for sale but no luck so far.

uli, Oct 14, 12:22am
Making marmalade of those sickly sweet NZ oranges will never work. Well that is not true - it will work - but it will be just sweet with not much other flavour. Why not add some limes or lemons or grapefruit?

If you go below the 50/50 (fruit to sugar ratio) then you will have to either bottle them (cook in a water bath) or keep in the fridge, as they will ferment over time.

I used to sell Seville orange trees - the last ones got planted out on the property when the nursery closed.

If you want to find a tree I can give you some nurseries that still sell them.

If it is too cold where you live then you might be out of luck and have to go back to the "poor mans" marmalade - made of unripe grapefruit.

kay141, Sep 2, 10:08am
I have never tried it with NZ oranges alone, so I will take your word for it. I use 50/50 oranges and lemons. The batches I have made with 50% sugar and a packet of jam setting mix have kept well for over 2 years, so far with no sign of fermenting. As I'm the only one that eats it, I only make a batch every two or three years.

I don't know if Seville oranges will grow here or not but I do not have the space and I plan to move within the next couple of years.